CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Complete revamp of '93 AllTrac...

I'd like to get a few opinions on my ideas for this car before I persue em... especially from you 'seasoned' AT owners. I welcome all opinions and suggeestions, but let's keep this constructive.

I pulled the engine and tranny out with the intentions of replacing both. The motor has 191,6xx miles on it, and was supposedly rebuilt at the Toyota factory in KY about 50k ago. The reason for the replacement of the engine is that I want to run a TD06-20G, and an upgraded fuel system, and I don't feel comfortable running that extra power through a ~200k powerplant. However, is it even possible to get a 2nd gen 3S-GTE with less than 40k on it anymore?

The reason behind wanting to replace the tranny is because the synchros are finally starting to go, and I don't want to have to pull it and replace it later. From what I understand, the ST205 tranny is stronger anyway, and is supposed to bolt right up.

While the engine and tranny are out, I'm going to cover what I can, spray the engine with degreaser, give it a good scrubbing, and then nail it with my 5,000psi pressure washer to get all the sludge out of it. The engine had an oil leak, and thus, there's ALOT of shit in that engine bay, as well as along the underside of the car. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

The underside of the car is in pretty good shape, but the undercoating IS coming off in a few places. I had intended on cleaning up where I could, and respraying the undercoating where it needed it.

The brakes on the 185 are apparently much inferior to those on the 205. Is it possible, or even worth the money to try and find an ST205 and rob it's brakes? Or will new pads and SS lines be more than enough stopping power for spirited driving?

The interior is a frightening state of affairs. While the rear seats are still in mint condition, the fronts are showing their age. The carpet smells, and I'm probably going to replace it. Although, given my last 2 experiences with replacing OEM with aftermarket molded carpeting in a 2-door Integra, I'm less than anxious about doing it. The entire System 10 is going to need to be cleaned up and rewired. The guy I bought the car from had some yahoo do the stereo install, which, to be nice, was completely butchered. Any suggestions, hints, tips, or things I should keep in mind while rewiring? (Keep in mind I'll be using an aftermarket amp, headunit, and speakers. All of which are already in the car, except for the HU.)

The appearance of the rear gas tank, in my mind, is also less than appealing. Short of going all-out with custom fabrication and a fuel cell, is there anything I can do to "clean up" how it looks, or somehow make it look less obvious?

I think that's all that comes to mind at ze moment... *Puts on flame suit*
    Chris

2006 Scion tC - Daily driver
    1993 Celica AllTrac - Goal: 400awhp

1994 Celica GT - sold (04/06)
    1999 Integra LS - sold (10/05)
    2000 Celica GT-S - sold (2/05)

Fenix

For the carpet if it's not damaged then why not just pull it out and give it a good old cleaning, you'll kind of have to if you're gonna rewire the entire sound system.

Using a 5000PSI washer on such an old car seems like trouble to me but then again cars rust alot more here in Iceland. Might damage some rubber taps and whatnot if you'r not carefull.

Trying To Learn Something New Each Day caneman is on a distinguished road caneman's Avatar
    caneman has donated to the forums!

Images

"While the engine and tranny are out, I'm going to cover what I can, spray the engine with degreaser, give it a good scrubbing, and then nail it with my 5,000psi pressure washer to get all the sludge out of it. The engine had an oil leak, and thus, there's ALOT of shit in that engine bay, as well as along the underside of the car. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?"

I'll repeat the above caution. Watch where you point all those psi's. You may end up damaging seals/gaskets by forcing water/cleanser past them and into the engine/transmission. Be especially careful around any electrical/electronic parts. Wrap them in aluminum foil or something to make sure no fluid gets inside (thanks to Mike of Tampa Bay for this one), or you may have a nightmare on your hands when you try to start her up. Try to carefully scrape off the heaviest stuff with a putty knife or bondo spreader (the latter won't scratch paint).
    Welcome to the asylum. The inmates are in charge here.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I though you were going to replace the engine?
    Be careful of all plastic pieces too. They are brittle and will break.
    You will also knock paint off some of the engine bay.
    And tear up the foam padding on the lines.

ST205 transmission will be hard to find.
    And expensive.
    a JDM ST185 one is pretty common. Same as US except for speed sensor.

Your brakes are fine. SS lines, better pads, rebuild calipers, and new rotors do wonders.
    ST205 are better, but don't bolt up.

just clean the tank and repaint it.
    Or do you mean it's location?
    If that's the case, you're pretty much stuck with it or a fuel cell in the trunk.

Most front clips that I know of have ~60,000 miles from what I've heard, it would be pretty difficult to source one under 40,000 but I'm sure it could be done with the right amount of $$$.

I would strongly recommend going with the ST205 tranny b/c as you said, it's much stronger than the ST185 tranny, and if your synchros are going it will be good for the upgraded tranny to handle the extra power that you might add in the future.

My dad actually did the same thing with the power washer to my sister's 1996 Corolla after her oil cap came off and engine went all over the engine, and the engine had a bit of a hard time starting up after it , what I might consider doing is something a little less powerful (maybe just a hose with the sprayer attachment?) and spraying it off, unless the oil doesn't want to come off. Then just take every precaution you must to make sure you don't seriously damage anything. Also, I would recommend trying seafoam with the engine, as I hear it's a great engine cleaner.

I have heard the same thing about the ST205 brakes, but the only difficult part would be sourcing them. I remember a little while back someone on here was selling theirs, but you won't exactly see it happen everyday. I think changing the pads with SS brake lines would do the trick if you couldn't easily source those parts.

For the front seats, there is someone in colorado (can't quite remember right now but if you're interested hit me up in pm) that re-upholsters leather seats, that is always an option to re-vitalize them. I don't know much about carpet replacement in your car, but I would try to consider trying OEM replacement carpet (dealer will charge you an arm an a leg tho) or possibly aftermarket, if it's bothering you.

Sorry, got nothing for the gas tank.

BTW, where are all of you all-trac owners hiding in Colorado ? All I see down here in the burbs is chicks driving around celis. I would actually like to experience seeing/driving in one in person .

1991 Celica GT Coupe

Originally Posted by BellaCelica95
    lmao- it's okay cause you rock my socks.
    ^ She's talking about me

Hey, thanks for the replies, everyone!

I use that same pressure washer when I wash my car too, but I usually stand a good 8'+ away. From less than 2' away, that thing is capable of blowing holes through most wood, and from 6" it will tear into cement. I don't plan on getting particularly close to the car with it, but I just wanted a little more 'oomph' for getting the sludge and crap off. But, since it doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore ( ) I think I'll just use the hose.

The carpeting isn't damaged per se, but the stiff shit underneath it IS broken from where I peeled the carpet back to pull the ECU plugs in the top left corner of the passenger side foot area.

As per the fuel tank, yeah, I was bitching more about it's location than anything else, and how stupid I think it looks sitting there. I guess I'll just live with it.

BTW, where are all of you all-trac owners hiding in Colorado ?
    Well, do you know Mike (Vaportrail)? I bought his car. I live out in rural Fort Lupton, which, depending on the time of day, is about 50 minutes from Arvada.
    Chris

Hey you know what, You can buy a bottom end from toyota for aboyut 1400$. Thats what galcrazi did. He just resurfaced his head and put it back together. I think thats definately better then buying a clip because you already have all your components. I believe he mentioned some thing about the block being updated and reinforced.

Religion has many gods. For this tribe, this is their God.
    **New and improved wavy effect!!

Would that include all the internals as well?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by GT4SOM
    Hey you know what, You can buy a bottom end from toyota for aboyut 1400$. Thats what galcrazi did. He just resurfaced his head and put it back together. I think thats definately better then buying a clip because you already have all your components. I believe he mentioned some thing about the block being updated and reinforced.

Do they still have short blocks?
    I thought they were out...

Chris, I meant to ask you where you got your car. I guess you answered for me.

Is it gray?

Quote Originally Posted by alltracman78
    Chris, I meant to ask you where you got your car. I guess you answered for me.

Is it gray?

Yeppers. It was originally Dan Jeuch's car.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon
    Well, do you know Mike (Vaportrail)? I bought his car. I live out in rural Fort Lupton, which, depending on the time of day, is about 50 minutes from Arvada.
    Well I knew him from the boards where I troll around at Alltrac.net and I knew there were several people interested in his AT (dayum what a clean trac he kept) but I kinda figured you bought it b/c what are the odds of finding a 1993 (one of 81! lol) All-Trac that same in Colorado. I knew you were all hiding from me although Mike was only ~15-20 mins away I never got to see his car in person. I think a few of us colorado celi drivers were playing around with getting a meet set up (possibly at Bandimere I think?), so hopefully we can eventually get something coordinated.

1991 Celica GT Coupe

Originally Posted by BellaCelica95
    lmao- it's okay cause you rock my socks.
    ^ She's talking about me

Thread Information