CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Buying Advice for 7th gen. Celica?

Hey Guys,

I currently own and have been very happy with an MR2 SW20 although have decided it would be good to have a little more space (and a treat) so am looking at VVTLi, 6 speed, 7th gen. (my price dictates around 2000 - 2003) Celica's.

I've been searching although can't find a 'buying advice' section so can someone please point out common 'look fors' when checking out various vehicles e.g. am I right that the cam belt doesn't need replacing as it's a chain?

Any advice would be much appreciated - thank you.

yes its a chain that doesnt need replacing, the 2000-2001 have a higher rev limiter the 2002 has a 7800 rev limiter but it can be raised with an ECU and knock sensor swap.

www.newcelica.org is your firend
    2001 Celica GT-S Turbo 2ZZ-GTE
    1997 Supra TT 6 speed 2JZ-GTE
    1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ V6 hybrid
    1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE

Thanks Smaay.

I found this list there which seems fairly decent:

check vin numbers on doors, bumpers, fenders, hood.
    check windows for oem toyota glass
    check a/c and heater. check for compressor noise.
    check revving engine for pings and knocks.
    check for fluid coming out of exhaust
    check cv boots/axles
    check key in driver side, passenger side, trunk, ignition, etc

engine
    look for leaks underneath on oil pan
    check for oil in coolant
    check oil level and oil color
    check transmission fluid level and color
    check coolant level
    check power steering level
    check brake fluid level

The main issue appears to be oil usage although this is a little hard to check when just looking over a vehicle. Still certainly enough in this list to get at least a decent idea of what condition any potential vehicle is in.

Another thing to look at with the GTS, though i don't know how common it is....

I was looking at one maybe 6 months ago, and the salesman tried to tell me that it was cherry, driven by an old lady, never beat on... "Just look at the wheels, brand new!!"

The car had an unbolted exhaust. And the wheels looked new because i'm sure the young kid that had it had some aftermarket wheels on them, because it had original equipment tires on them that looked brand new.

I pointed this out, and the salesman tried to tell me that they were ALL like that, the car had never been beat on blah blah blah.

I walked away.

The Ultimate Celica Driver
    Proof of 14.7 required...
    vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ciento44
    Another thing to look at with the GTS, though i don't know how common it is....

I was looking at one maybe 6 months ago, and the salesman tried to tell me that it was cherry, driven by an old lady, never beat on... "Just look at the wheels, brand new!!"

The car had an unbolted exhaust. And the wheels looked new because i'm sure the young kid that had it had some aftermarket wheels on them, because it had original equipment tires on them that looked brand new.

I pointed this out, and the salesman tried to tell me that they were ALL like that, the car had never been beat on blah blah blah.

I walked away.

And your point is.... ???

It could have been a good car for all you know.
    Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
    Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by forgies
    look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09 has a brilliant future vip09's Avatar
    vip09 ran a 14.7 on the Dragon! vip09 has donated to the forums! vip09 helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. vip09 helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. vip09 helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ToyWithToyo
    Hey Guys,

I currently own and have been very happy with an MR2 SW20 although have decided it would be good to have a little more space (and a treat) so am looking at VVTLi, 6 speed, 7th gen. (my price dictates around 2000 - 2003) Celica's.

I've been searching although can't find a 'buying advice' section so can someone please point out common 'look fors' when checking out various vehicles e.g. am I right that the cam belt doesn't need replacing as it's a chain?

Any advice would be much appreciated - thank you.

Two things I would check is make sure that lift engages. You will hear/feel it around 6000-6200 rpms.

Also, make sure that the electric door lock actuators still work. I've seen those go out a lot. That's pretty much all. It's been a good car for the 100,000 miles I've put on it since I've had it. Very reliable.

look vip is the ultimate celica driver... He needs a section of celicatech devoted to him!

Quote Originally Posted by vip09
    And your point is.... ???

It could have been a good car for all you know.
    I'm sure it was..... But the salesman was telling me that i would be paying $9k for a babied 2001 GTS that grandma drove, and wouldn't budge from that story. I won't put up with lying salesmen, and i sure as hell am not paying $9k for a 7th gen GTS that's been beat on.

just picked up a gt for 5k. good shape, but they offered a motor swap, free, into a j-spec gt motor. it ran fine before, sorta, even with ses lite on. they swapped motor , still free, but refuse to show me any invoices on the said 44,000 mile motor. yeah, dealers sure like to play shell games with what they'll do and what they'll charge.
    I'm new to the cellie scene, too. 2000 GT. Is it worth many mods..?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Hines
    just picked up a gt for 5k. good shape, but they offered a motor swap, free, into a j-spec gt motor. it ran fine before, sorta, even with ses lite on. they swapped motor , still free, but refuse to show me any invoices on the said 44,000 mile motor. yeah, dealers sure like to play shell games with what they'll do and what they'll charge.
    I'm new to the cellie scene, too. 2000 GT. Is it worth many mods..?

I wouldn't do any modifications to the engine except for maybe an intake. It's not worth it to do anything to that engine. It just doesn't respond to modifications very well. Not much power to be made.

The only thing I would do is work on the handling, get a nice set of wheels, and lower it a little.

that kinda advice is what saves dudes a lotta money and fixin stuff that ain't broke. thanks.

not true, the GT is fairly boost friendly with a reasonable level and good tuning. once again read the stickys on newcelica.org

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smaay
    not true, the GT is fairly boost friendly with a reasonable level and good tuning. once again read the stickys on newcelica.org
    I think its fairly relative, and all depends on what your budget is. If you say money is no object, well.. then anything can be done. The 1ZZ GT engine is better off to start with if you intend to boost, though the earlier 2ZZ 00'-01' is tuned and setup to do what it does very well out of the box! Overall, my point is - the balance is good to begin with.

actually no they both are fairly boost friendly, its all in the tuning

^Was waiting for that.

if you are still looking for a 7th gen, i have a "cherry" 2001 GT-S 6 speed with a new engine and tranny for sale. asking 8000

Thread Information