CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Default Brake discussion

Just want to clear up a few things, make sure what I think I know is right, and if not corrected as well as hopefully learn some new things.

1. The single pot caliper found the NA 90-93 I believe is the same as the single pot caliper found on the 92/93 Alltracs on the front brakes, correct?

2. The dual pot caliper found on the 90/91 Alltrac, is that the same as what is found on the 90/91 GT4?

just want to make sure, I swapped over my dual pot 90 GT4 calipers from my clip in replacement of my 90 single pots. I want to make sure I know which pads to get to replace them. Either way, I know we have had this discussion before about which caliper is better and consensus would seem to favor the single pots.

I'm hear to tell you, the dual pots brake SOOOOO much better! I'm keeping them on my car, I have as of yet to get any brake fad. The pads I'm using are also the stock toyota pads that were on the brakes from the clip.

Thanks for the help, just want to make sure I have these things straight, I need to order up some extra pads for the track.

I saw a thread in another forum on the site that said that the 2-pot calipers were the same ones that came on a ST165. Are the dual pot calipers a floating type, like your single pot ones (are both of the pots on one side)? Did you (or could you) by chance measure the diameter of the pistons?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Dave
    "Mechanical engineers do it with less energy and greater efficiency."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Dave

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan
    I saw a thread in another forum on the site that said that the 2-pot calipers were the same ones that came on a ST165. Are the dual pot calipers a floating type, like your single pot ones (are both of the pots on one side)? Did you (or could you) by chance measure the diameter of the pistons?
    Ya.. they are exactly like that.

Ah, wasn't aware of this thread. Good find! I would have to imagine that if Chris is right, than they would be the equivalent of the ST165 caliper. Just wondering if there is any confirmation out there.. I'll PM Nemesis as well to see what he found out.

I am curious as to how the later ST185 calipers differ from GT/GTS calipers (or if they even do). If they're not different, then why was there a downgrade?

-Dave

Images

I am curious as to how the later ST185 calipers differ from GT/GTS calipers (or if they even do). If they're not different, then why was there a downgrade?
    Good question.. why go from a dual pot to a single when obviously the ST165's were doing fine with a dual pot that was being mass produced. Dunno.. maybe just the fact that the ST185 had to be mass produced to be put into rally, and the easiest way Toyota could find to mass produce it was to give up some odds and ends for the road version by cost cutting in the department of brakes by making them identical to the ST18* NA versions.

Thats the only logic I can see in that.

Jigglypuff

Does the surface area change between the single-pot calipers?

Also, would it be possible to mix and match rotrs and calipers? According to Adrian's sticky on brakes, the rotors vary slightly within the 5th generation models. How would this affect one's caliper selection, or would it be affected at all?

Well, the 165s were rallied as well, so I don't think that's it. I could definitely see it as being a cost-saving measure though (much cheaper to make more of one part than a few of two kinds).

Jigglypuff, I'm curious to see if the ST185 calipers are the same as the GT/GTS as well.

As for caliper/rotor interchangeability...it depends on what was changed between the 90/91 and the 92/93 cars. The mounting must be such that the caliper doesn't rub on the outside of the disc. If they changed the hubs (and thus moving the caliper mount on the hub out farther to accomidate larger discs), I'd imagine that all of the calipers are interchangeable. If they changed the caliper mounting (so the hubs are the same), you would need the updated calipers with the updated rotors. I just checked on www.partsamerica.com and the calipers have different part numbers, so I'd assume the hubs stayed the same (or had the same mounting points, at least) and that you'd need new discs and calipers to complete the upgrade.

-Dave

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jigglypuff
    Does the surface area change between the single-pot calipers?

Also, would it be possible to mix and match rotrs and calipers? According to Adrian's sticky on brakes, the rotors vary slightly within the 5th generation models. How would this affect one's caliper selection, or would it be affected at all?
    I used my stock GTS rotors.. fit perfect off my JDM ST185 dual pots. Dunno if that helps, unware if the 1990 5th gen NA rotors are different than whats on your 4th gen.

Thread Information