CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I see there has been some motion in this thread in the last while. I will try to answer some questions here.
    and im planning on buying some of that insulation phone cable piping stuff to wrap around the power cable thats running underneath the front bracket infront of the radiator/condensor
    its called split loom and it really cleans up the engine bay, as you can see in the following pics

I definitely recommend it...and it is cheap maybe 2 or 3 cents a foot. I use it all over my installs
    Hey i would definatley be interested in giving this a try , but what im not sure of is if those 2 relays on your firewall have anything to do with this setup or is that for something else ?

it doesnt look like it but i just want to make sure .. and if a person couldnt find those particular relays i take it any 8 pin relay would do a sufficient job ?
    No, one is for my foglights and the other one is my starter kill relay for my alarm

how can this be done so that both lights are controlled with one switch???? would you need only one relay as well?
    I'm fairly certain you could just tie the wires together in one switch rather than controlling them separately. Worse case scenario you may have to diode isolate them from eachother as they may do funny things to the factory control module

It may be possible to greatly simplify the process by controlling the factory relay, not sure on this. Best way to to test this would be to check the pin out for the relay in the BGB, and wire the switch up to run power to the "UP" pin and the "DOWN" pin.
    That makes sense but I haven't done any research on the matter, that factory module is dependant on a few different inputs to work, namely the ignition, and the position of the combination switch on the steering column.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Im about to do this mod but ive ran into a little problem, I have no idea how I'm going to get the wires from the engine bay to the dash... theres the main wire hole on the passenger side of the firewall but I've no idea how to reach this from the inside...

People with a 5th Gen, if I remove the glove box, can I access the main wire hole?
    If so, how do I remove it?

thanks

Ben

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default I can't find green/yellow

I found the knob to manually raise/lower the lights. I took apart a bit of the under panels around that area and I see a plug with the green/yellow (one bigger than the other, like bcaff says) but the drivers side, I look at the same area and I cannot see a green/yellow. I saw... I think green/white but no yellow. Is it the same area?
    :ohyeah:

I'm not sure if I might have overlooked this minor detail, but after all is done, do I still need to reconnect the harness for the headlight motors?

Yes

Are the wires to splice the same on both sides? Because I got the right (passenger) side working no problem, but the driver side is giving me some problems.. The green and yellow wire on the driver side is a smaller gauge than the one on the passenger.. Correct? did i splice the right wire?

i cant find the headlight harnesses. can someone take a pic for me? i only see harnesses for the bulbs.

If you look directly under the headlight from under the car you will see the headlight motor and its harness.

So this is a little off topic. I have a USDM 5th gen. How hard would it be to make the fog lamp switch independent of the headlights switch so that the fog lamps come on any time I press the button.
    Thanks.
    1992 Celica GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by cell172
    So this is a little off topic. I have a USDM 5th gen. How hard would it be to make the fog lamp switch independent of the headlights switch so that the fog lamps come on any time I press the button.
    Thanks.
    Search fog rewire, it should be detailed, and it's fucking easy to do, takes about 10 minutes, 15 if you're over paranoid about cutting the wrong wire and check it three times with a meter.u

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Hey MET.. I just went to radio shack and i have the same relay diagram as you. and i know the wiring numbers are differant.. do you have what them?

FatallyYours504: here's what you need... I think. I haven't actually done this since I ended up getting power lumbar seats I have yet to figure out where I want the put the switches for the headlights. I was going to use a convertible's rear window switches so that it would look 98% stock (other than the little switch to enable/disable... oh and the label that may have said "Rear Window Switch"

Quote Originally Posted by bcaff
    I'm 99% sure that I have the exact same relay as ^^ has above... from my reasoning, the hook ups are related using the following:

Relay in How-to article | RadioShcak Relay (part no. 275-218)
    1 = 5
    2 = 7
    3 = 3
    4 = 1
    5 = 2
    6 = 4
    7 = 8
    8 = 6

So the number on the left above is the number from the diagram in the how-to and the number on the right is the matching position on the RadioShack relay that was posted ^^ above. Correct me if my numbers are wrong... I'll soon find out whether or not they work since I am in the middle of installing this mod. Hope this helps!!

bCaff

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

yep, i re-wrote the schematics after i posted that yesterday and came up with the same conversion.. i just installed my switches today and ran the wires through the little rubber thingy on the passenger side running behind the glove box, all i need to do now is tie in the relays and im good to go

i was also thinking of pulling the power window switches out of my 97 celica and using them but the rockers i found work fine tho

and if the 5th gen owener couldnt find where to get in, ill take a picture..
    Last edited by FatallyYours504; 12-10-2009 at 09:40 AM.

i am going to attempt this in a week or so, i was just wondering what happenes when you try to use the existing light swich, im going to assume nothing

If you have the system "on" then yes, nothing, except the lights lighting up.

Tried this yesterday and couldn't get it to work, but after doing some research online today I figured out why. Radioshit near me only carried on mom-off-mom switch and it was a DPDT switch, no problem, just hook up one side of it. But then after looking today I noticed one big problem, it was rated for 12v, but only 20mA. So when I went to test it, I believe I burned it up the first try. I ordered some offline like were used in the write up and I'll have everything posted on the weekend on how it went.
    1990 GT-S

Current Mods:
    D2 Coilover kit, 95 5sfe w/gasket kit head to toe & water pump & oil pump& timing kit, Camry headers, custom CAI, Euro H4 conversion (Autopals), Headlight control mod, Integra wing swap, Cobra Alarm, Hood lock/starter disable, Quick release aftermarket steering wheel, Pioneer p8600-MEH, and Air horn(lol).

hahaha thats mad as!! i want to do it but looks pretty hard. how come theres so many wires??lol

it is actually very easy,the amount of wires aint bad, read the steps a few times and you should understand it, 4 wires for the up/down, 2 power wires for the relays, and 2 grounds for the relays

i did this mod and ran into a problem, my swich only makes it go up and down a few times, then it stops working untill i turn my lights on to the on position in the stock switch then back to the off, then it works a few times again. any ideas?

Can anyone advise me on where i have gone wrong on this, i have done it all and the passenger side (uk car) light works spot on but the drivers side doesnt when when i operate the main switch to activate it both relays engage fine, then when i use the momentary switch for the drivers side light i can hear the factory relay engage like it wants to work but it just doesnt, all work fine when using the stalk like normal. its driving me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by fraserd007 View Post
    Can anyone advise me on where i have gone wrong on this, i have done it all and the passenger side (uk car) light works spot on but the drivers side doesnt when when i operate the main switch to activate it both relays engage fine, then when i use the momentary switch for the drivers side light i can hear the factory relay engage like it wants to work but it just doesnt, all work fine when using the stalk like normal. its driving me nuts.
    Someone must have an idea, bet lots of peeps done it.

sorted it, uk car drivers side you need to cut the thin yel/grn cable not the thick one.

woow i like it so nice , but have a problem for along time ?

Quote Originally Posted by besign View Post
    woow i like it so nice , but have a problem for along time ?
    what is your issue?

Awsome...just what I was looking for...well part of it anyway... does anyone know of a way of replacing the stock lamp with a smaller (maybe even brighter) lamp, so that I could basically use it effectively (and maybe even legally) at night? thanks

I was thinking maybe twin rounds or ovals on each side glaring through the smaller aperture would look awsome!

Thread Information