CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default HOW-TO **Independantly controlled pop-up headlights**

Two switches...two pop-up headlights.....any angle up or down....lights on or off

***********************DISCLAIMER***************** ***********
    NEITHER I NOR THIS SITE TAKES ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE THIS MOD MIGHT CAUSE TO YOU OR YOUR VEHICLE.

THIS SYSTEM CAN BE REMOVED AND YOUR CAR RETURNED BACK TO STOCK SIMPLY BE REATTACHING THE WIRES YOU CUT IN STEP 2.

THIS MOD SHOULD BE COMPATIBLE WITH ANY 4TH AND 5TH GENERATION CELICA....ALTHOUGH IT HAS NOT BEEN TESTED ON A 5TH GEN MY SCHEMATIC SHOWS IDENTICAL WIRE COLORS FOR BOTH.

edit: apparently now it has been tested and works on a 5th gen as well. See below for details

*****************DISCLAIMER*********************** ************

Now that that is out of the way....let's get started

You don't even need to fully understand how this works to do it...as long as you can follow directions and know a thing or two about soldering or crimping....and basic electrical you should be fine

This system is comprised of 3 components:

a main system switch (to turn the “system” on)
    two on-off-on rocker switches (for controlling the up/down movement of your headlights)
    two DPDT relays (the brains)

tools needed:

drill
    snips
    multimeter (optional if you follow direction very closely)
    soldering iron or crimpers with connectors ( I recommend soldering everything though)
    Depeding on where you mount your switches you may need other tools to mount them as well

Supplies needed

1 – on-off switch
    just a standard on-off switch. This will serve as your main system switch. Herein called the system switch
    $1-$5

2 – on-off-on momentary switches
    a rocker switch that returns to the off position when you let go of it. Herein will be called the rocker switch
    $2-$5 each

2 – 12V 10A DPDT relays
    12 volts, 10 Amps, DPDT (double pole double throw). These are big relays and will have at least 8 pins…some might even come with 10. I ordered mine from a local electronics supply store…you might be able to order them from places like radio shack as well. These might be hard to come by depending on how resourceful you are.
    $5-$15 each

wire….lots. I suggest 12 or 14 gauge bonded wire or speaker wire…and a few lengths of standard 12 or 14 gauge in black and red

And that should be it…maybe a crimp on ground lug or two and some female spade connectors for your switches,

Now to get started.

Find a good location for your relays. Every wire you run from this point forward should run on the same path to your relay location and leave 4 or 5 inches hanging over just because.

right in front of my other relays will be suitable

Locate the wiring harnesses for both headlight motors. It should be right beside the manual headlight motor control thing. Disconnect the plugs. Now we will look at the right/passenger side headlight motor. Since you have disconnected the plug you will have a 5 wire harness going to the headlight motor (motor side) and one going to the vehicle (vehicle side). Ignore the motor side and look at the vehicle side.
    You will have to peel back some tape and loom to expose the wires behind the vehicle side plug. Now locate the green/yellow wire and the green/white wire and snip them…leaving a couple inches to play with (Don’t snip it directly next to the plug or to the other end or they will be very hard to work with). Now solder or connect 4 wires to the 4 exposed ends you have and run them all to your relay location (and then some).
    You will want to label them at the relay location as well (since you cut them you will have “vehicle side” wires and “plug side” wires. So label your ends “green/yellow vehicle side right” “green/yellow plug side right” “green/white vehicle side right” and “green/white plug side right”….or just abbreviate them if you think you can keep track)

Note: I used bonded lamp cord or speaker wire will be fine as well…it saves running a whole bunch of separate wires. 12 or 14 gauge is your best bet…..16 will work if it is all you have.

Now move over to the left/driver side and do the exact same thing…same wire colors and everything. Just be sure to label them “left side” when you get to the relay. You should now have 8 wires hangin out beside your relay location…**all labeled**(unlike my picture....do as I say not as I do)

Note: You could mount each relay right beside its respective headlight motor….hence eliminating the need to extend any of these 8 wires. But I tried that at first and it looked rather ugly so I opted to run everything to another location to clean up the engine bay a bit.

Run a ground wire to your relay location. You will need one for each relay so either run two wires or run one and then splice it into two at the relays…either way is just fine.

Find a suitable location for your switches….its nice to have the two on-off-on switches beside each other…..and then you can put the main system switch anywhere really, but I put it right in front so everything is bundled up together.

Draw power from a fused ignition source ( I spliced off the power for the cigar lighter) and run it through your system switch and to your relay location…and of course label it. You will need to splice this one into two at the relays as well

Note: I used an ignition source so that the system will automatically shut off and my headlights will react normally when I turn the car off. I don’t recommend running this system hot

Run 4 more wires…or two sets of speaker wires from your rocker switch location to your relay location. **label them at both ends** (“left up” “left down” “right up” “right down”)

Run a ground….or two to your rocker switch location (you will need one for each switch)

Now connect the wires to your rocker switches like so.

Once all your wires are connected you can install all 3 switches wherever you want.

Now stop and count the wires. You should have 16 wires hanging out at your relay location (or 14 if you only ran 1 ground and one power instead of two)

8 wires from the front of the car
    4 from the rocker switches
    1 or 2 from your system switch
    1 or 2 from your ground

Here comes the fun part. If you labeled everything like I told you to this will go very simple….if not then prepare to get your continuity tester/multimeter out and start tracing and labeling.

Now designate and label your right and left relays. We will start by wiring the right one or the passenger side headlight

Your relay will have the following diagram. **Check to see that the pin numbers on your diagram are the same as the pin numbers on my diagram**
    if they aren’t the same then draw up a diagram and make it the same this part will be a little difficult but doable with some thought process.

Basically here is how these work.
    Pin 1 is connected to 4 and pin 8 is connected to 5 when the relay is normal or at rest.

When 2 is powered and 7 is grounded (or vice versa) the toggles switch and pin 1 connects to 3 and pin 8 connects to 5. Its quite basic really.

We cut the wire controlling the headlight down (for example) and connect one end to 1 and the other end to 4 so that when the relay is at rest the factory wires are still attached and everything works normally (times the example by 4 of course because we snip 4 wires)

As soon as you activate the relays (by the single switch) the factory wiring is severed and the input signal is now coming from your switches rather than from the factory module.

Now connect the following pins to the following wires…again I prefer to solder
    Remember this is the right relay for the right headlight

1 Green/white plug side right
    2 Ground
    3 Right up (from rocker)
    4 Green/white vehicle side right
    5 Green/yellow vehicle side right
    6 Right down (from rocker)
    7 Red/power (from system switch)
    8 Green/yellow plug side right

Now the left relay for the left headlight is exactly the same…except the left side

1 Green/white plug side left
    2 Ground
    3 Left up (from rocker)
    4 Green/white vehicle side left
    5 Green/yellow vehicle side left
    6 Left down (from rocker)
    7 Red/power (from system switch)
    8 Green/yellow plug side left

I soldered lengths of wire to my relays on the bench and then spliced it into the car later....it was easier

Once everything is connected you can mount your relays...and loom and zap strap the wires to make it all nice and clean

Now get in your car and turn the ignition to “on”

Flick your system switch and listen for the relays to click…or get someone else to do it while you listen or feel them

Play with your toggle switches and see what happens.

When your system switch is on the headlight switch on your steering column has no effect on the headlight motors. The only control you have is the rocker switches….push up to move the lights up…push down to move them down…..any time you let go of the rocker your headlight will stop moving and stay there (provided you got a momentary swicth and it automatically clicks back to the neutral position).

Now when you turn the switch off your headlight motors operate normally….with the headlight switch on your steering column. Subsequently when you turn your key off it does the same thing.

Cool huh

Last edited by schmooot; 12-21-2008 at 05:52 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I will find you and I will kill you. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany's Avatar
    david in germany has donated to the forums! david in germany helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! david in germany helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon david in germany helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Nice! Getting a sticky till we figure out a place for it! (Possable 5th gen post)
    I also have to add a disclaimer for you.
    If you try this Ctech nor the poster will be held responsable for any damage you may cause to the vehicle that you try it on or problems you may have from the modification of the vehicle you performed the modification to.
    David
    Last edited by david in germany; 08-01-2005 at 09:35 PM.
    BM Dubyou
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 118i Monaco Blue, 6 Speed Manual, Daily Driver
    2009 335i M Sport Saphire Black, 6 Speed Manual, (Cobb Tune) 370+hp, Alternate daily Driver
    2011 328i M sport, 6 Speed Manual, Titan Silver (wife's Car)
    No Automatics in this family!

Thanks man. Good info. I will try to get the wires for the 5th gns up.
    David, might as well leave it here. It's applicable to 4th and 5th gens.

what do you mean by reversible?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

As in if you don't like it, can you take it out and restore stock operation...
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar
    As in if you don't like it, can you take it out and restore stock operation...
    ya just reconnect the two wires at each headlight that you snipped, and its all back to stock

Default pics

is there a possiblity some can post pics of the process

Good write-up Schmooot. I probably won't do it but it seems like a lot of guys want this mod. Nice work.
    ^
    88 ST165...All-Trac

89GTS...Ol' Faithful

86GTS...my 3rd Celica

I will find you and I will kill you. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany's Avatar
    david in germany has donated to the forums! david in germany helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! david in germany helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon david in germany helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Bump from the dead zone, Schmooot added a bunch of info, give him props people!
    David
    BM Dubyou

2009 118i Monaco Blue, 6 Speed Manual, Daily Driver
    2009 335i M Sport Saphire Black, 6 Speed Manual, (Cobb Tune) 370+hp, Alternate daily Driver
    2011 328i M sport, 6 Speed Manual, Titan Silver (wife's Car)
    No Automatics in this family!

Junior Member warwolf7 is on a distinguished road warwolf7's Avatar

yeah, I do reallly loove that, if I have spear time this winter I might have fun with that, thanks a lot for that REALLY REALLY goood written step by step process.

thxx
    Jakefeb3: do you know a turtles only weakness?
    Jakefeb3: there weakness is they cant roll over when they are on their backs
    Jakefeb3: now i have a plan
    Jakefeb3: if i duck tape 2 turtles together they are unstoppable

So what if my relay looks like this?

I never did catch on to diagram reading...

And if I have the wrong relay, then a back to Radio Shit I go.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

whats wrong with turning on the headlights and having them come all the way up and vice versa? Maybe Im missing something here...

Junior Member bcaff is on a distinguished road

Default Correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm 99% sure that I have the exact same relay as ^^ has above... from my reasoning, the hook ups are related using the following:

Relay in How-to article | RadioShcak Relay (part no. 275-218)
    1 = 5
    2 = 7
    3 = 3
    4 = 1
    5 = 2
    6 = 4
    7 = 8
    8 = 6

So the number on the left above is the number from the diagram in the how-to and the number on the right is the matching position on the RadioShack relay that was posted ^^ above. Correct me if my numbers are wrong... I'll soon find out whether or not they work since I am in the middle of installing this mod. Hope this helps!!

bCaff

FatallyYours504: here's what you need... I think. I haven't actually done this since I ended up getting power lumbar seats I have yet to figure out where I want the put the switches for the headlights. I was going to use a convertible's rear window switches so that it would look 98% stock (other than the little switch to enable/disable... oh and the label that may have said "Rear Window Switch"

Quote Originally Posted by bcaff
    I'm 99% sure that I have the exact same relay as ^^ has above... from my reasoning, the hook ups are related using the following:

Relay in How-to article | RadioShcak Relay (part no. 275-218)
    1 = 5
    2 = 7
    3 = 3
    4 = 1
    5 = 2
    6 = 4
    7 = 8
    8 = 6

So the number on the left above is the number from the diagram in the how-to and the number on the right is the matching position on the RadioShack relay that was posted ^^ above. Correct me if my numbers are wrong... I'll soon find out whether or not they work since I am in the middle of installing this mod. Hope this helps!!

bCaff

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

yep, i re-wrote the schematics after i posted that yesterday and came up with the same conversion.. i just installed my switches today and ran the wires through the little rubber thingy on the passenger side running behind the glove box, all i need to do now is tie in the relays and im good to go

i was also thinking of pulling the power window switches out of my 97 celica and using them but the rockers i found work fine tho

and if the 5th gen owener couldnt find where to get in, ill take a picture..
    Last edited by FatallyYours504; 12-10-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2kSnakEater
    whats wrong with turning on the headlights and having them come all the way up and vice versa? Maybe Im missing something here...
    Some people like the look of the "sleepy eye" headlights.
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Yesterday, I began to do the wire splicing into the headlight motor harness and ran into a problem.... There are two Green/Yellow wires on the connector from my '90 ST. One was bigger than the other and I am assuming that I need to splice into the smaller wire (since the Green/White wire is the same smaller size). Can anyone confirm which wire I need to splice into? Thanks

bCaff

On the saturday evening/ sunday morning just passed,
    me and my brother went to work on this mod, and by sunday 12:00ish it was fully installed and looked awesome, just about all cleaned up and fully functioning.

Our relays are waterproofed with electricians tape and sorta hanging in the engine bay, hopefully not getting in the way of anything else!

and im planning on buying some of that insulation phone cable piping stuff to wrap around the power cable thats running underneath the front bracket infront of the radiator/condensor, just to be certain the heat from the core wont disfigure the cables etc. Might post some pictures of this later if anyones interested.

Left Headlight Wiring
    Rigth Headlight Wiring
    Finished inside buttons, with a modded coinslot!!

I love blank plates, still another 5 more to play with (2 in the photo).
    What to mod what to mod.

GREAT WORK SCHMOOOT!!, thanks for the effort it took to post this article, kudos to you.

and the number diagram that bcaff wrote in, i just realised was the same corresponding set of numbers that we had worked out after we re-wrote and ordered our wiring.

It works!!! Sorry I haven't posted since I finished the mod about a month ago. Glad to hear that my relay numbers matched what you had. I figured out the wiring issue I had on the pass headlight, need to use the larger of the two green/yellow wires. The driver's side only had one green/yellow there, so there was no question. Attached is a picture of my 1990 ST with the lights down low. I'll post more pics of my install soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Celi_005b.jpg‎   celica_007b.jpg‎   celica_006b.jpg‎   Celi_001b.jpg‎  
    Last edited by bcaff; 12-11-2007 at 03:44 AM.

good to hear

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

will this let me control each light individually?
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Yes, one switch to enable/disable the system, and one for each headlight.

Hey i would definatley be interested in giving this a try , but what im not sure of is if those 2 relays on your firewall have anything to do with this setup or is that for something else ?

it doesnt look like it but i just want to make sure .. and if a person couldnt find those particular relays i take it any 8 pin relay would do a sufficient job ?

my3sgte

Oh sweet, thanks been looking on a write up on this didnt wana figure it out myself! Plus would be awesome, want my car to wink at the hotties....

Thread Information