CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Engine management systems

My motor will not be getting force fed for a good while but I figured that you guys would have the most experience with these. What types of engine management systems are you running. And I mean stand alone/full management systems, not safc or anything. I'm wanting to put the celi on a dyno and do a good full tune on it but I'm having problems finding a good system. Are there any systems or programs that use existing toyota ecu's that are just re-chiped with re-writeable roms? For example when I tuned my prelude I just took an obd 1 p28 ecu, put in a new chip, and used crome pro on my lap top to tune it real time.

Are there any systems like this that you can just put in a new chip dock and program it with software such as crome for our toyota ecu's? I remember hearing/reading that they were tough to crack. If not has anybody had any experience using megasquirt on a toyota? And if not on that what have you used to good effect? I'm not looking on spending alot of money (hell you can download the standard crome package for free from their website) so no thousand dollar systems like AEM's.

If your wondering why am I going through the trouble just to tune a stock 3sfe. Us 3rd gen (88-91) prelude guys could squeeze out a good 20 hp and 5 mpg on a well done tune on pump gas reliably and if a honda motor can do that I'm more than sure this 3sfe can. Plus to make the most out of an i/h/e setup you have to tune for the increased airflow and maybe I can get rid of that dam afm.
    Last edited by Amaymi; 05-06-2007 at 03:53 AM.

As far as i know there isn't anything for the celica's, like a dsm link derivative or whatever honda people use...

All the radical DSM guys use AEM's stand alone. Seeing as how they're getting in excess of 600hp to all 4 wheels, i'd say it's a pretty good system

However, that's about your only option...and it's going to be a costly one (your doing damn good to catch one for under 2 grand)...for not much benefit...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Somebody else with more knowledge will pipe in but I think the farthest that Yota ecu's have been cracked are rom tunes from the likes of atsracing. But it's not tune on the fly...has to be hard-flashed. The guys I'm going to have tune my ecu are fans of the powerfc, some like the hydranemesis too. The other day my buddy got a good deal on a powerfc for $500. Will be hard-pressed to find a nemesis that cheap though. GL-
    Last edited by jason; 05-06-2007 at 04:05 AM.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jason
    Somebody else with more knowledge will pipe in but I think the farthest that Yota ecu's have been cracked are rom tunes from the likes of atsracing. But it's not tune on the fly...has to be hard-flashed. The guys I'm going to have tune my ecu are fans of the powerfc, some like the hydranemesis too. The other day my buddy got a good deal on a powerfc for $500. Will be hard-pressed to find a nemesis that cheap though. GL-
    bingo.

I'm using the Apexi Power FC. Initial impressions are very good. Interface is good with the datalogit. It is one of the easiest to install, but this depends on what gen engine. A gen 3 would be plug and play. Nemesis is another option that I like.

A few use the megasquirt, but those who do are usually die-hards and would never go back. So it could be a good option if you are into that.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Yeah.... it's really sad that there isn't Crome for Toyotas... There are so many spots in the 5sfe that i know i could pick up a BUNCH more power, and i'm unwilling to buy an APFC or SAFC for it.

why not buy a safc2, I am wondering if this would give me a good enough tune to run 7-8 PSI on a turbo setup??

Yeah to me megasquirt is looking to be the best bang for the buck. There are 2 major things about it though that make me hesitant about using it. The first is that I know that some cars/engines are much more difficult to tune with mega squirt than others. Secondly is that since the megasquirt hardware completely replaces your ecm and is not vehicle specific you pretty much have to start from scratch and have to spend a good amount of time just to get a base map that you can use to let it idle properly and move it to the dyno.

Both of these problems can be overcome however if somebody has already done a base map on a mostly stock 3sfe. From them I could find out how hard it was and also download their base map and try it out. So if anybody has done a good tune on a 3sfe or knows somebody that has let me know.

The reason why I won't use things like a vafc2 is because those things are piggybacks that do nothing more than trick your computer into thinking something is happening that really isn't. They are highly in accurate with very little precision (relatively) and do not allow for the tuning of ignition timing. They're good for picking up a few h.p. on a stock motor but not for what I want.
    Last edited by Amaymi; 05-08-2007 at 05:01 PM.

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

This is something I'm keeping my eye on.. User Tunable Rom tunes for the stock ECU. While Nemesis and AEM are the best for straight standalones, those that are looking for mild increased power, this is a great piece.

Thread Information