CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Whats needed for turbo?

Ive been seriously considering getting a turbo and Ive only done little research, most of it is common knowledge.

Ive considered these items into my budget and I just wanted to know if I was missing anything.

Boost Gauge
    Boost Controller
    Turbo haha
    FMIC
    BOV
    Manifold

Now I would be taking it to a shop close by that does turbo setup's, and Id basically just give him everything stated except for the manifold and FMIC seems he can make/find them dirt cheap.

Anything else I shoudl keep in mind.

- On my car I already have a catback exhaust system, stage 2 clutch, suspension and brakes.

Is my engine to shitty to slap a turbo on? (3sfe with say a C26 turbo)?
    Will my tranny hold?
    How many PSI would I be able to run with this budgeted turbo install?

Thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bigger injectors and a way of controlling them?

Oilpan and turbo lines (Or tap into your oilpan), you need some way of controlling your timing (J&S Safeguard, or MSD BTM), You need gauges like a wideband O2 sensor, or a EGT probe, you might want an oil pressure sensor.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Blowing Stereotypes, ya heard? Snafu Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. Snafu's Avatar
    Snafu has donated to the forums! Snafu helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Homemadeturbo.com

Go under Forced Induction

Read the Faq son
    1988 CRX DX - Drag Car
    Vitara/TT rod Z6 - Sinktrap Manifold - GM9 turbo

www.mydragcar.com/snafu

So I will be needing

Turbo - ebay 100$ (C26)
    FMIC - ebay 100$ ("HUGE" Intercooler)
    IC Pipeing
    Downpipe
    BOV - ebay 35$ (HKS knock off)
    Manifold - 150$
    Boost gauge/AF/Oil
    turbo timer - ebay 10$
    ecu from turbo celica?
    and some kind of fuel management system

you wont need another ecu, your just going to need bigger injectors and a piggyback fuel/timing controller.

is this fuel timmer the same as a turbo timmer? If you have a pic of one it might jog my memory.

Whats needed for turbo? a lot more research

check the 5sfTe stickie presure2 wrote up in the 6th gen section. it gives a lot of good info
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

turbo timer = something that lets the car run after you remove the key until the turbo cools. its not really necesarry

fuel/ignition controller = something that will let u add or subtract fuel and ignition timing. you will need this with bigger injectors.

add to the list a 2 bar map sensor.

Awsome thanks guys, and I checked the 5sfte sticky, and wasnt sure if it would be the same seems i dont have a 5sfe.

Once again thanks for all the helpful insight.

Oh and lagos, I have done some research and was basically makeing a checklist for myself, then Once I got everything I was going to research the companys etc.

did you get a new car or something? What's up with the sig?
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

^some dude was saying I know shit about cars and that I dont have certain things in my car, im a liar ... so i just flattered him with a sig.

*Probability of me getting flamed for saying this* If you had a 5SFE instead of a 3SFE I would say to turbo the 5S because at least you have the extra .2L on the 3SFE. The amount of money you are going to spend on map sensors, fuel/timing controllers, and piecing together turbo parts you could get a ST185 front clip and throw in a twin cam 2.0L instead of the motor you have now. The 3SGTE has a way bigger aftermarket also. How much did pressure2 spend on his setup? I know that he had the CT26 upgraded to a CT27 which is about minus $850 of what you are about to spend.

I dont know if you could do the labor yourself, but if you can you will spend about 3K$ on the swap if you get the clip and you can make back some of that money selling parts that you didnt use from the clip.
    1990 GTS Sold

With the reasearch and "wise" money spending Im saving 1500$ (doing the install myself and a friend who owns a turbo charging shop)

In total im spending 1500$ Cnd... and yes you are 100% right on the brootle engine part, however, my understanding is that the 3sfe is the JDM replacement for the 5sfe. And I wanted to do the front clip thing prior to my swap/howver at the time money was a major issue.

I appriciate your input/concern and Ill be sure to check into it. Thank you

Blowing Stereotypes, ya heard? Snafu Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. Snafu's Avatar
    Snafu has donated to the forums! Snafu helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Yeah, those JDM replacements are weird. If you get one for the 4afe, you get a 5afe, which stands at a mighty 1.5 liters

Glad you got everything worked out.
    1988 CRX DX - Drag Car
    Vitara/TT rod Z6 - Sinktrap Manifold - GM9 turbo

www.mydragcar.com/snafu

Thread Information