CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco bloodredgt is on a distinguished road bloodredgt's Avatar

Default Pulled over twice for exhaust

So... I got pulled over twice for my exhaust this week. Both cops had nothing to pull me over for except my exhaust (which is quite loud btw).

The cop would walk up and say, "you know son, you technically aren't allowed to have..."

and i cut him off and say "modified exhaust?"

cop : "yeah. Lemme see your driver's license and registration."

*hands him the license and registration*

cop : "You know your exhaust is pretty loud. I'm pretty sure you're not aware of the laws regarding exhausts in california."

me : "Actually sir, I have the article printed up off of the DMV website regarding exhaust modification in my armrest. *takes it out* It says that I am allowed to have an exhaust as long as it stays under 95dB. If you have a decibel meter in your squad car, i would gladly let you test my exhaust because having to go to court, then the department to get it written off is just a huge waste of time, sir."

cop : "Sounds like you've been pulled over for this before and that you know the laws regarding modified exhaust. I don't have a decibel meter in my car but it seems like you know your stuff about what you got. *hands license and registration back* Have a nice day son."

*cop drives off*

Any of you guys have this problem?
    White 5th Gen GT-S 5 speed SOLD
    2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

n00b grease monkey is on a distinguished road
    grease monkey has donated to the forums!

Malmstrom A.F.B. ,Montana(Originally from georgia)

fight the power!!
    "Why don't you go outside and play hide and go fuck yourself??!"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How do you get pulled over twice in a week? I have had some sort of modified exhaust on my car for 4 years and NEVER have been pulled over.

Also, I would suggest that you don't get lippy or show attitude towards law enforcement. Odds are, during one of your other brushes with them in regaurds to your loud car, that you will run into an old, salty dog that doestn't like to get given lip by some punk kid.
    Last edited by Hooligan; 06-13-2005 at 06:06 AM.

-Dave
    "Mechanical engineers do it with less energy and greater efficiency."

i got pulled over today for that.. and i was going to make a post about it.... damn you *shakes fist* but i was giviner up a hill and the cop was behind me... i was testing him

Quote Originally Posted by bloodredgt
    So... I got pulled over twice for my exhaust this week. Both cops had nothing to pull me over for except my exhaust (which is quite loud btw).

The cop would walk up and say, "you know son, you technically aren't allowed to have..."

and i cut him off and say "modified exhaust?"

cop : "yeah. Lemme see your driver's license and registration."

*hands him the license and registration*

cop : "You know your exhaust is pretty loud. I'm pretty sure you're not aware of the laws regarding exhausts in california."

me : "Actually sir, I have the article printed up off of the DMV website regarding exhaust modification in my armrest. *takes it out* It says that I am allowed to have an exhaust as long as it stays under 95dB. If you have a decibel meter in your squad car, i would gladly let you test my exhaust because having to go to court, then the department to get it written off is just a huge waste of time, sir."

cop : "Sounds like you've been pulled over for this before and that you know the laws regarding modified exhaust. I don't have a decibel meter in my car but it seems like you know your stuff about what you got. *hands license and registration back* Have a nice day son."

*cop drives off*

Any of you guys have this problem?
    You have a magnaflow,right? wtf, i have the same exhaust, and magnaflow cat, with 2.25". You cant hear anything from my car, its almost stock db at idle. Only at wot can you hear anything at all. Unless you dont have a cat then of course it will be loud.

Teh loudness

I bet that all added about 50hp huh?

fuckin rights.. the magnaflow sticker was an extra 15+hp.. then my weapon R intake +190hp

ever $15 you spend is 1hp

DK Squall

dam! Cool to hear you had the info to tell the cop so he had no grounds to write ya up. *applause*

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan
    How do you get pulled over twice in a week? I have had some sort of modified exhaust on my car for 4 years and NEVER have been pulled over.

Also, I would suggest that you don't get lippy or show attitude towards law enforcement. Odds are, during one of your other brushes with them in regaurds to your loud car, that you will run into an old, salty dog that doestn't like to get given lip by some punk kid.
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

cops around here pull you over based on what you drive...

ill never get botherd now.

Yeh I've had cops pull me over multiple times for my exhaust. I've got a 2.25 pipe with a Camry header and a Megan Racing muffler...that muffler makes it *LoUd* as hell. Usually as long as you don't give the cop attitude and you say it's within the legal limit (barely...) then I don't have too much of a problem.
    1991 Celica GT Hatch:

-Ram Air Intake
    -Custom Exhaust
    -Megan Racing Muffler/Tip
    -Custom Downpipe and High-Flow Cat
    -'98 Camry Header
    -Motegi 16" Wheels
    -1 1/4" drop
    -TWM short-shifter
    -Kenwood Head unit

Its always good to know teh laws when you got something that is close to illeagel..I used to get pulled over for some other stuff, when i said I knew the law and that what i had was legal they usually let me off with no prob..

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco bloodredgt is on a distinguished road bloodredgt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BEAMS
    You have a magnaflow,right? wtf, i have the same exhaust, and magnaflow cat, with 2.25". You cant hear anything from my car, its almost stock db at idle. Only at wot can you hear anything at all. Unless you dont have a cat then of course it will be loud.
    yeah i have a magnaflow. You'd be surprised. My exhaust is pretty damn loud. When I'm driving to pick up friends, they are always outside already even though i don't call because they can hear my car from like 2 blocks away. It's also a reason why i can't sneak out at night cuz my parents will be able to hear my car start up . Oh i don't have a resonator so that may be a difference. I love having a loud car, but at the same time it can attract some unwanted attention. Oh well, there's always a sacrifice when it comes to modding cars.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Around here, you can get a ticket for any muffler that isn't standard issue. It could be the quietest exhaust on earth, and you'd still get a ticket if your exhaust tip was too big for the cops liking. It's rediculous.

I have heard of STOCK rsx's getting tickets even.

I am extremely careful to put it in neutral when around police. I also never let them be behind me. My friend with a '93, who is 40 years old and definitely no "punk", has gotten a ticket for this. He has the HKS hi-power exhaust.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Senior Member RickyNo will become famous soon enough

Good thing to get valid info on modifications and show them a printed copy, it helps a lot to avoid fraudulent tickets, it can't be legal to give tickets to people with perfectly legal stuff... politics i guess... people are afraid of it so they don't inform themselves. stupid.

Cops really like to stop people for verifications here... i'm in the lucky bunch who never gets stopped (with the celica, with a civic it was different though i never got a ticket with it. )

Chris, are you serious? I'm sure they have nothing else to do but bother big-tip exhausts... yeah, right, i'm suuuuuuure they can't do something else...

whoooooohoooo! i'm a cop, hide your car's ass!!!

Looks like they are almost the same everywhere. Know your stuff guys.
    You morons have vacancy signs on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Trust me, if I got a ticket I'd come loaded with statistics of OEM exhaust tip sizes from other brand new vehicles. Take a look at deisel trucks these days. And I'm damn sure they wouldn't get a ticket.

But yeah, thats the law. you get a ticket for an "enlarged muffler tip". ghey.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

i wonder what code they write for "enlarged muffler tip" cuz that's total bull.

you could probably contest the ticket and get it waved off by the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by PC
    cops around here pull you over based on what you drive...

ill never get botherd now.
    'Til they see you driving it. Then they think you stole it.

Burn!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Hmmm...check the wording on that "enlarged muffler tip."

It could be worded that it does not refer to a larger tip added to a muffler, but enlarging the tip already on the muffler. Loopholes...always look for them.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Jeez thats lucky getting off. Still you should carry items of the law with you when you know you're gonna get hassled. I carry one that states that using maximum power when taking off from a standstill is not an offence as long as you maintain the speed limit and dont lose traction or something like that
    I get pulled over for stupid things.. mostly my decal on the back of the car. They think i'm a boy racer lol

Blowing Stereotypes, ya heard? Snafu Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. Snafu's Avatar
    Snafu has donated to the forums! Snafu helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

I've been running an open downpipe for about 3 weeks. I've driven right next to cops, no worries what so every. You just have to get the best kind of muffler out there......

a turbo
    1988 CRX DX - Drag Car
    Vitara/TT rod Z6 - Sinktrap Manifold - GM9 turbo

www.mydragcar.com/snafu

Thread Information