CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default PowerSteering Pump Replacement

I just wanted to make sure this sounds right to change the powersteering pump. Drain all of the power steering fluid, then install the pump. Then fill it up as much as possible and then start it and bleed it. Watch the level go down if it does add in more fluid? This sounds right to me and I just wanted second opinion on this. Thanx guys.

Ive replaced the pump before but didnt bleed the line right away and then when I tried to I got some bubbles out but it is still very hard to turn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

basic idea on bleeding it....

fill with fluid but leave the cap off. with the car still jacked up in the air... start the car and begin turning the wheels all the way to the left and right a few times. then, check the fuild, add more if needed, lower car to the ground and turn the wheels again . u may hear some noises, if they go away after the bleeding then u are ok...but if they continue then you blet is too loose and u have to get under and make it tighter again.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What do you mean by "make it tighter"? I basically did that last time but it is still really hard to turn the wheel.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

All you do to bleed is turn the wheel and hold it for a few seconds each way. Back and forth.
    And refill.

Little tip on replacing the pump. I don't know how hard it is to acess certain bolts on a A series engine, but on the S series, it's easier to pull the 2 nuts and the bolt on the engine mount, and lower the engine.

It is easier for me to just move the belts and tkae the entire powersteering pump off with bracket. If you look at the picture of my engine in my sig, the powersteering pump is directly to the left of the header. Its close to it.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

OK, so it's in the front.
    That's why I was saying I wasn't sure on a ST.
    Different engine setup.

to make the belt tighter, you have to loosed the bolt that holds the tension on the pulley, stick a crowbar in there and push really hard as you tighten the pulley back up.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mike431635 is on a distinguished road Mike431635's Avatar

Lagos is right.

Big, this is off topic, but do you still have the pivot bolt that holds the bottom of your 4AFE p/s pump to its bracket? Mine died. As in I don't know where it went because it's missing. I obviously can't drive the car safely in this condition.

Anyone know this process for the GTS? The pump seems to be inconvientently located behind the motor. Also, I'm pretty sure the power steering isnt working (my jeep with oversize tires turns easier), but how would I verify?

So are you saying I might not have the belt tight enough on my PS pump? Im starting to get a little confused.

Mike I should. I have not touched the 4afe in a while but the shop took all of the shit off of it because they are fucktards. But I should have it. I will check this afternoon.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

OK so either my belt is loose and is not making the pump pump enough fluid or something is messed up. I took all of the fluid out and replaced it and then refilled and turned the wheel some. It is easier now than it was before but still sucks. I think the belt might be a little loose. Should the belts be really tight? I know they should be snug but I am worried I might make them too tight. They are brand new belts. Arg.

Mike, I have all of the powersteering stuff. I do not know exactly what bolt you are talking about though. So if you can post a picture of it or sumthing, then that should be cool.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mike431635 is on a distinguished road Mike431635's Avatar

The belt needs to be super-tight. As in it won't flex at ALL if you push on it. It's a pain in the butt to do but it is possible. We had that prob when I did the rebuild and we put it back together but had some difficulty with that. Ended up having my dad push on the pump (tighten the belt) as hard as he could while I tightened it up. My dad is no weak man and even with it extremely tight I had no problems.

As for the location of the bolt, there is a bracket off the back of the 4AFE engine block (right behind the water pump) and the p/s pump sits at the top of this bracket. There is a long bolt which simply holds the pump to this bracket and allows the pump to pivot and stay in place.

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchi...h/STEERIN5.PDF

If you scroll down to the picture of all the p/s pump components (the one that includes the reservoir and everything, not the one on rebuilding the pump), you can see where the hole goes through the bottom of the pump on part #8. Sorry that I don't have a pic right now, I will try to get one tomorrow.

Big_PimpN

you said the ps pump is right in the front of your motor right? remind me at the meet and we can take a look at it to see if the belt is the problem or not.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothtuner
    Anyone know this process for the GTS? The pump seems to be inconvientently located behind the motor. Also, I'm pretty sure the power steering isnt working (my jeep with oversize tires turns easier), but how would I verify?
    For bleeding?
    Replacement?
    Belt tightening?

If it's full of fluid, and it's not making any squealing or groaning noise, it should be working.
    Unless the belt is cut...

Any more news, Big?

Thread Information