CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Another update, found an image of said spherical bearings with measurements.

Now we just need to know the diameter and length of our stock rear control arms to make sure these fit!
     ...to the topTop

hi everyone!!!! new member here lookin for struts and bushings for my girl's 90 celica gts. i see that no one has yet to try the spherical bushings yet. sooooo today when she comes home from work im gonna take off the bushing and measure the inside diameter of the control arm and the length of it as well (with a digital caliper). if it seems close i will probably get a set of those bushings and install them in the car. so finally everyone will have an answer.
     ...to the topTop

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kotu100
    hi everyone!!!! new member here lookin for struts and bushings for my girl's 90 celica gts. i see that no one has yet to try the spherical bushings yet. sooooo today when she comes home from work im gonna take off the bushing and measure the inside diameter of the control arm and the length of it as well (with a digital caliper). if it seems close i will probably get a set of those bushings and install them in the car. so finally everyone will have an answer.
    w00t! That would be badass man.. keep us posted!
     ...to the topTop

Images

Well.. it has been confirmed that those spherical bushings do not fit, they are a tad to small. Looks like buying new rear control arms is still the only option.

I'm hoping to hear on the actual control arm diameters and measurements so that maybe we could even find some aftermarket spherical bearings that will work.
     ...to the topTop

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trance4c
    Well.. it has been confirmed that those spherical bushings do not fit, they are a tad to small. Looks like buying new rear control arms is still the only option.

I'm hoping to hear on the actual control arm diameters and measurements so that maybe we could even find some aftermarket spherical bearings that will work.
    I'm actually in the process of doing this right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.
     ...to the topTop

Got the measurement today for you guys. for the inside diameter of the contorl arm on the hub side is 1.470" this is the best i could get after i scraped the rust off and whatnot. what im wondering is if i make a .050 spacer to fit inside the control arm do you guys think i could weld it to the arm then use the spherical bushing?
     ...to the topTop

Here is all the spec info you could want on the bearings. Sorry about the pics, I'm no photographer or artist, but it'll do. According to my measurements and the pic Clayton posted above, the only major difference in the bearings is the overall length which is not important, and the body length which is workable. Outside diameter is what I concerned about. Where did this drawing come from and why is it not metric? An o.d. of 1.42" is = to 36.068 which does not sound right to me. I would like to get one of those bearings Clayton. I think it will work. anyway, here you go, all measurements are in mm.

...to the topTop

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale
    Where did this drawing come from and why is it not metric?
    http://www.planetcampbell.us/Spheric...placement.html

Came from that link.
     ...to the topTop

The pn# for the bearings, is that for one bearing or all four?
    Last edited by grayscale; 03-26-2007 at 03:53 AM.

...to the topTop

Images

Was that written in refference to a Supar or an AT?
    An AT
     ...to the topTop

Images

Clayton. I think it will work.
    Any update on finding out if they do work?
     ...to the topTop

The pn# for the bearings, is that for one bearing or all four?

...to the topTop

Unfortunately I have confirmed that these bearings/bushings will not work. They lack approx. .75mm-.80mm in diameter. This is also true for the poly bushings for the st185 as shown below.

What I would like to know is, I saw a member who posted in a similar thread in the last year or two who replaced his with poly bushings and i would like to know what ones he used. I have yet to find any the right size. The pictures the member posted showed them installed and the bushings were purple. I can't find the thread anywhere but if one of you knows what I'm talking about and can find it, we would appreciate it.

i am going to start looking at modifying the arms to accept the smaller bearings/bushings. I'll keep it updated here.

...to the topTop

Images

Its the same bearing in all four spots, so its the same part number for all four.

Looks like unfortunately our only bet is the new arms with the bearings already in them from Toyota unless we can find some aftermarket bearing that work.
     ...to the topTop

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Well when I get back from California I'll be trying to source some rod ends that might be compatible. Until I get back though I won't know. I'll let you guys know as soon as I do.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.
     ...to the topTop

What I would like to know is, I saw a member who posted in a similar thread in the last year or two who replaced his with poly bushings and i would like to know what ones he used. I have yet to find any the right size. The pictures the member posted showed them installed and the bushings were purple. I can't find the thread anywhere but if one of you knows what I'm talking about and can find it, we would appreciate it.
    Are you talking about this:

http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7528

?
    "The best nut you can tighten is the one behind the wheel."

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)
     ...to the topTop

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Avgerinos
    Adrian,

Great thread, I do remember that one! I see though that you didn't replace the rear control arm bushings either, look only like the trailing arm. What are you planning to do for that in the future if you are? Obviously this is our only missing replacable piece unless you buy the whole control arm.
     ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Avgerinos
    Mmm..nope. This guy had replaced his sphereical bearings with poly bushings. They were purple in color. That's when I remember all this crap starting about you can't do that, it'll mess something up, blah blah blah... I just can't seem to find out who it was or where the thread went. I ask because I have yet to find a bushing that will fit in there properly and I wanted to get more info on his.

...to the topTop

Images

Mmm..nope. This guy had replaced his sphereical bearings with poly bushings. They were purple in color. That's when I remember all this crap starting about you can't do that, it'll mess something up, blah blah blah... I just can't seem to find out who it was or where the thread went. I ask because I have yet to find a bushing that will fit in there properly and I wanted to get more info on his.
    I would suggest staying away from the poly bushings though, they will have a lot more give than a spherical bearing.
     ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by Trance4c
    I would suggest staying away from the poly bushings though, they will have a lot more give than a spherical bearing.
    Meh, depends on what hardness is used.

...to the topTop

Meh, depends on what hardness is used.
    it doesn't matter how hard, they will still have more play than a spherical bearing. Poly isn't bad if you don't mind squeaks, they're usually a step up from factory. Bearings are more expensive, but hardly ever need replacing and totally eliminate flex in the wrong directions.
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.
     ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by MoralWarfare
    it doesn't matter how hard, they will still have more play than a spherical bearing. Poly isn't bad if you don't mind squeaks, they're usually a step up from factory. Bearings are more expensive, but hardly ever need replacing and totally eliminate flex in the wrong directions.
    Actually the arguement has been that the poly won't flex enough in the directions that the bearings go(although moving in some directions not orginally intended). When the bearing is moved there is very little if any resistance, whereas the poly is made to resist being moved. Squeaking shouldn't be a problem if properly lubricated. In the end, I feel the pros and cons will balance out. I am also using some discounted machinable urethane stock so this will be a cheap test. I'll keep it posted.

...to the topTop

Images

Actually the arguement has been that the poly won't flex enough in the directions that the bearings go(although moving in some directions not orginally intended). When the bearing is moved there is very little if any resistance, whereas the poly is made to resist being moved. Squeaking shouldn't be a problem if properly lubricated. In the end, I feel the pros and cons will balance out. I am also using some discounted machinable urethane stock so this will be a cheap test. I'll keep it posted.
    Exactly.. the poly flexes laterally which we don't want, which the sphercial bearing flexes axially.
     ...to the topTop

Been talking to Josh at 185 and he said that if I get him the measurements he will find us the bearings. What do you think, middle man cost worth it?

...to the topTop

Images

Been talking to Josh at 185 and he said that if I get him the measurements he will find us the bearings. What do you think, middle man cost worth it?
    Doesn't matter to me.. I'm about to try to get the control arms, so if someone can get the right bearings, I would hope they could get them available to us quickly.

Let me know, I think this is would be good to have this part available to the community.
     ...to the topTop

Thread Information