CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale
    Actually the arguement has been that the poly won't flex enough in the directions that the bearings go(although moving in some directions not orginally intended). When the bearing is moved there is very little if any resistance, whereas the poly is made to resist being moved. Squeaking shouldn't be a problem if properly lubricated. In the end, I feel the pros and cons will balance out. I am also using some discounted machinable urethane stock so this will be a cheap test. I'll keep it posted.
    that's what i was trying to convey, but you definitely said it better than me .
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.
     ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by Trance4c
    Doesn't matter to me.. I'm about to try to get the control arms, so if someone can get the right bearings, I would hope they could get them available to us quickly.

Let me know, I think this is would be good to have this part available to the community.
    Are you getting them with the ToyotaMotorSports thing? Damn, wish I could get in on that. I'll let you know what Josh says asap, but no guarentees on how long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
     ...to the topTop

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale
    Are you getting them with the ToyotaMotorSports thing? Damn, wish I could get in on that. I'll let you know what Josh says asap, but no guarentees on how long.

I sent in the sign up maybe 3 days ago, I submitted my order with part numbers to them so we will see if my app is processed and they come through.
     ...to the topTop

Damn, you suck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
     ...to the topTop

I just finished my new install:

...to the topTop

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold

Images

Nice.. looks like an alltrac ?
     ...to the topTop

n00b Goldy is on a distinguished road Goldy's Avatar

I bought My Celica about 4 months ago from a friend of mine and starting to regret it a little but all in all still only spent 1300 bucks from sale to present day, I've discovered another problem just recently that my rear control arm bushings are cooked and been searching everywhere for replacements. The only option I have at the moment are getting new control arms but at 200 bucks a pop.. I don't think so!!

It seems to be a big problem among celica owners for this bushing. Aside form the fact that I believe the role these bushings play in the suspension happen to be the most punishing one and yet no one makes replacements. ATM I'm contemplating on making my own bushings but I prefer to buy some instead.
     ...to the topTop

Images

Goldy, yes.. it seems the only solution is new arms with bushings already in them.

GOOD NEWS! My new control arms came through the Toyota Motorsports Program!!! I suggest we all start to use this so that it may help us all out in getting the parts we need, especially these specific rear arms that are necessary for any non-ST185 Celica.
     ...to the topTop

n00b Goldy is on a distinguished road Goldy's Avatar

Just today my dad just ripped apart the bushings (or sphearical bearings as ya'll call it) that I got from the scrapyard. It seems that a cheap way to replace them is to find a scrapped celica and cut the end of the controll arm off (or take the whole thing) and push the whole bearing out and press the the other one in. He said it was fairly easy to push them out. I have one good one out of the 2 I got and be searching for another one sometime this week.
     ...to the topTop

True spherical bearings would be nice... I hope someone figures out a solution to this.
    1990 Celica GT-S (Daily)
    1995 SC400
     ...to the topTop

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Well I might resume trying to find a fix to the bearing problem...

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.
     ...to the topTop

Just as an update of sorts.
    The machining of the urethane fell through as I lost access to the lathe I was using quite some time ago.
    Josh from 185 never got back to me on the bearings so I am going to bug him again and see what's up.
    Anybody else have any new info?

...to the topTop

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Yeah no... sorry

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.
     ...to the topTop

i recognise a few of the pictures of poly and MA70 spherical bearings in this thread. Glad my pics have been of use

Adding to the list, I can highly recommend the following for ST165 and ST185 applications.

Coilovers:

Drummond Motor Sports (DMS) coilovers: www.dmshocks.com

McPherson strut coilovers available in 40mm "Gold" for street use and club motor sport

or

50mm "Superstrut" for competition tarmac and gravel rallying.

The following are DMS Gold 40mm for the ST165.

The above units are of motorsport quality and as a result are fully serviceable. We rebuilt after 10,000 miles. Regreased, new grease wiper seals and bushings.

I did feel that the supplied off the supplied shelf springs (225 lbs inch) were too soft for my 1370kg application as they collapsed and became coilbound after 6 months. (my bad should have specified stiffer at time of ordering )

I replaced the DMS double progressive springs with aftermarket 450lb inch fronts and 350 lb inch rears:

Adjustable Topmounts:

Noltec offer a range of "street" and "clubsport" application camber and caster adjustable top mounts: http://www.noltecsuspension.com/

I bought the polyurethane encased bearing version for street application:

Noltec (adj. camber and caster) vs. Tein (adj. camber)

hope that helps.
    Last edited by Gary ST165; 01-12-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    Regards,
    Gary

'89 ST165 turbo 4WD
    '91 ST185 GT-FOUR RC 8255000
    '91 ST185 turbo 4WD Carlos Sainz Limited Edition 25415000
     ...to the topTop

Images

Wow gary, thanks for the info.

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.
     ...to the topTop

Anyone knows where still sells the suspension techniques swaybar?
     ...to the topTop

Images

-Part of the Mod Team-

Joey wins this thread.
     ...to the topTop

Thread Information