CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech

Lightbulb Upgrade to JDM power folding mirrors (auto)

I have devised a circuit to control the power folding mirrors automatically.
    How would you like to automate your power retractable mirrors?

Here are some of the options:
    1. Ignition key control. Turning the key ON will extend if the mirrors are retracted and will fold if the key is turned OFF.

2. Power door lock control. If the mirrors are not folded, locking the doors will automatically retract the mirrors. If retracted, when you unlock the door, mirrors retract.

But there are problems with the features above, like unlocking the door to get something inside the car, the mirrors will open even if not needed. Or by taking the key off but you're not going to leave the car, the mirrors fold.
    So I came up with the combination of the options 1 and 2.

Option3.

Features:

- Equipped with Auto or Manual mode switch.
    auto mode - controlled by door power lock and by turning the ignition on.
    manual mode - normal operation using retract push button .
    - Turn the key off, get out of the car lock the doors, mirrors retract.
    - Unlock the door, get in the car, turn the key on, mirrors extend.
    - Resumes manual operation whenever the key is switched ON. The mirror will not fold automatically when you lock the door.

I was also thinking of another feature that will unfold the mirrors when the engine starts, but I don't like it. But it will be cool if you have the remote start control.

Alright guys, I will post the diagram and How-to when finished..
    Last edited by qu!kdeth; 11-08-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typoerr
     ...to the topTop

Nice, I look forwards to the results

Having the two modes would be pretty cool, I like the idea of the mirrors folding out when you key the car on, but having an override is a good idea
    1990 Series 5 Celica GT-4
    Needs: New brakes. New gas struts for rear hatch AGAIN >_< Repairs to drivers side after "adventure" with bridge.
    Wants: Tien coilovers. Audio system (planning at the moment), found System 10 door panels, system ten amp, need speakers and head unit and wiring and and and...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
     ...to the topTop

Wiring diagram.1 click >>

Wiring diagram.2 click >>

Components list:

D1,D2,D3,D4,D7,D8,D9 - 1N4148 or 1N4001 (1A)
    D5,D6 - 1N5400 (3A)
    C1 - 100-300 uf, 16V
    R1 - 10K
    K1,K2,K3,K4 -SPDT 12V relays
    SW1 - DPST
    1A fuse with in-line casing

The wiring was done on 86 Celica GT-S, using the mirror control box and retract switch from a JDM AE92, and power folding mirrors from JDM AE101.

Pin-out (st162):

SW1 - Double pole switch. Auto mode when closed.

Pin1. Power door control 12V - White-Red, from 30A CB, permanent 12V

Pin2/3. Power window/seat 12V - White-blue, accessible wire at the center console power seat switch, active when ignition key ON, will supply 12V to the retract relays/mirror motors

Pin4. Power Door lock solenoid - Blue-white, momentary 12V when door lock switch is pushed

Pin5. 12V supply to the contol relays when ign key is at ON position. If you use ACC 12V, when the engine is started while mirrors are moving 12V to the retract motors will be interrupted.

Pin6. Mirror retract limit, this yellow wire shorts to ground when the mirrors are not folded, a 1A fuse is added to protect the mirrors' wiring when a component fails in the upgrade circuit(ex. shorted diode).

Pin7. Retract signal, momentary 12V to retract control relay, tapped to Retract push button

Pin8. Ground. Battery(-)

Differences between Diagram.1 and Diagram.2:
    In Diagram.1 With the key at ACC and SW1 closed the mirror positions can be controlled and you can fold the mirrors using the pustbutton (manual) and if you lock the doors, the mirrors will retract(auto feature).
    I wired my retract mirrors based on Diagram.2. The activation of the mirror retract pushbutton while in Auto mode is prevented by isolating the 12V supply from the power mirror control/switch.

Prototype PCB, pls click to enlarge..

If you have any question please feel free to reply to this post.
    Last edited by qu!kdeth; 11-08-2009 at 08:14 AM.
     ...to the topTop

Uh, Sticky? Mods? Please?
    Should your kill list include your own car?

93 ST- Dead

90 GT- Evelyn
    - Modified Ram Air intake
    - Eibach sportlines with KYB gas struts
    - 2000 GTS 16" wheels w/ Kuhmos
    - 93 tails w. vented corners
    - All trac hood
    - JDM Corners and clear signals
    - TWM Short Shifter
     ...to the topTop

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

If someone donates me a set i can reduce the number of components drastically and make it oise free (:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by acidice333
    If someone donates me a set i can reduce the number of components drastically and make it oise free (:
    Are you thinking of designing a solid state version using logic gates or transistors? That would be great! tnx!

Although the problem with them will be the high power requirement.
    Last edited by qu!kdeth; 03-08-2006 at 12:46 AM.
     ...to the topTop

I will find you and I will kill you. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany's Avatar
    david in germany has donated to the forums! david in germany helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! david in germany helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon david in germany helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I like this thread!
    What are the costs looking like so far? I know the average mini relay is about $2 each. + minor components I would guess under $12. am I correct? If you were to do the build then sell, I would estimate a sell price 2.5- 3 times the parts price.

Great write up of the idea though!

Angry propellers!
    BM Dubyou

2009 118i Monaco Blue, 6 Speed Manual, Daily Driver
    2009 335i M Sport Saphire Black, 6 Speed Manual, (Cobb Tune) 370+hp, Alternate daily Driver
    2011 328i M sport, 6 Speed Manual, Titan Silver (wife's Car)
    No Automatics in this family!
     ...to the topTop

I will find you and I will kill you. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany's Avatar
    david in germany has donated to the forums! david in germany helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! david in germany helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon david in germany helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Also I noticed alot of colaberation between power doors what if the car has no power doors like mine?
    BM Dubyou

2009 118i Monaco Blue, 6 Speed Manual, Daily Driver
    2009 335i M Sport Saphire Black, 6 Speed Manual, (Cobb Tune) 370+hp, Alternate daily Driver
    2011 328i M sport, 6 Speed Manual, Titan Silver (wife's Car)
    No Automatics in this family!
     ...to the topTop

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Then you would fall back to Option 1.
    Altho I'm not exactly sure how the power folding mirrors work, but wouldn't the mirrors "flap" turned ignition pressed Unlock then Lock then Unlock ? Also, you need to prevent it from folding if in ON position. Now I'm not sure if you already did that since I haven't really read everything hehe

And as for my thingy about reducing and stuff, the high power requirement is not an issue.
    Last edited by acidice333; 03-09-2006 at 08:05 AM.

...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by acidice333
    Then you would fall back to Option 1.
    Altho I'm not exactly sure how the power folding mirrors work, but wouldn't the mirrors "flap" turned ignition pressed Unlock then Lock then Unlock ? Also, you need to prevent it from folding if in ON position. Now I'm not sure if you already did that since I haven't really read everything hehe

And as for my thingy about reducing and stuff, the high power requirement is not an issue.
    I have thought about the conditions that may activate the mirrors during Auto and Manual mode including Lock/Unlock.

Alright, here is the explanation how the power folding mirrors work:
    Without the Autofold upgrade:

Note:NC - normally closed, NO - normally open. The relays in the schematic are all in NC state.

The mirror control module. Has four SPDT relays and a trigger circuit. Two relays for each mirror. The retract motors are activated by a 12V trigger to the cuircuit.

Now, let's focus on one mirror only. It has four wires 2 for motor and other 2 for retract and extend limit switch. The limit wires (yellow and brown) tell the Mirror Control relay module whether that the mirrors are retracted or not. One of the wires shorts to ground when retracted or extended.

From this input the relays in the control module reverses the polarity of the supply lines to the retract motors (green and blue wires).

Autofold upgrade.

The Retract signal Pin7 is activated by either by door lock through K4
    or by turning the ignition Key On through K2 and K3.

From the Auto fold diagram, Pin6 is the input and it determines the mirrors' position(shorted to ground if extended)

Momentary 12V from door lock solenoid(Pin4 input) activates K4 when the mirror is extended. With Pin6 shorted to ground K4 actuates and 12V from SW1 through K1 NC terminal outputs 12V to Pin7(Retract). Once retracted, Pin6 is open and K4 is disabled until the mirror is extended again.

Now, when you turn the ignition Key ON, 12V from K1 will switch from NC to NO terminal which will actuate K2 , outputs 12V to Pin7 through K3 NC. Like K4, K3 coil is disabled when the mirror is retracted. Once extended K3 is actuated and remains switched to NO. Key On means you're on manual mode, if you retract the mirror manually K3 common will switch to NC but will not output 12V to Pin7 because the K2 is de-energized after less than a sec. when C1 is fully charged.

While the ignition key is in ON position K1 is at NO position, thus disconnecting K4 common from 12V. Pin7 output "doesn't care" about Pin4 input(door lock).

I hope everything is clear.
    Last edited by qu!kdeth; 03-10-2006 at 01:42 PM.
     ...to the topTop

Thread Information