CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Default Thinking about swapping? 6GC tips and tricks

This thread will serve to inform people of the specific issues they will run into on their engine swaps into their 6th gen.

For general information on swaps, I highly encourage you to read the following thread: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81

Some things will be double posted on both threads for completeness. I will update it as much as time permits.

I am experienced in the wiring aspects of this swap only. Hopefully others can contribute their knowledge on the other difficulties that one may encounter.

Wiring

Okay, so you have two engines sitting in front of you. Thats nice and dandy. But none of the wiring connectors are compatible! Oh no!

To start, IMHO, the BEST way to do this swap is to use your original 7AFE or 5SFE engine harness as the "base", and you will be creating a hybrid harness from it.

Okay, you'll need some diagrams. This should be all you need:

Original harness (the "base"):

5S-FE Engine Control
    7A-FE Engine Control

ECU pinouts: coming soon.

CLICK HERE to find the diagrams for the engine you are swapping into your car.

The process
    First, I strongly recommend you read this thread on the wiring process. The best way in my opinion, is to use option #3 described there. I have done this in the past and it works great. In essence, you take your original harness, and start adding the 3SGTE (or other) engine control systems to it. One wire at a time. Use the ECU pinouts as a "checklist", and go through them by following the engine control diagrams for that engine. When you have added everything, your engine will run. Afterwards, you can go through the extra 5sfe/7afe ecu pinouts and then remove any systems that are no longer used. Same as before, use the pinouts as a checklist. If you pay attention, there are probably a lot of cases where you can reuse wires. This will save you the hassle of running new wires or extending extra wire, etc. The most important thing? CHECK YOUR WORK. Even the best wiring experts make mistakes. After 8 hours of wiring you are bound to make one little mistake somewhere.

MAP Sensor beware
    Both the 5S-FE and the 7A-FE are equipped with a MAP sensor to meter incoming air. If you are installing a 3S-GTE, you must use the 3S-GTE turbo pressure sensor. Be careful not to use the original MAP sensor in place, or you will experience some major problems with fuel cut!

The diagnostics box
    You can easily use your original diagnostics box if you would like. I think it is much nicer, and it bolts up to your car. Just examine the wiring diagrams as you do your conversion, and make sure the wiring is the same as what is on the new engine's diagnostics box. Not to worry, there are no connector pins that you might think are missing. You are able to eliminate some if you would like, such as the OX2 pin which the 3sgte in particular does not use.

The fuse box
    Traditionally this has been a great area of concern for people doing these engine swaps. However, you do NOT need to touch the fuse box at all as long as you wire your engine in the way I have described. This is because you are using the original harness, which plugged into the fuse box, and keeping the important systems that plug into this box, the body, and elsewhere.

More to come...

Chris
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao; pa`a ka waha. surfergravity is a jewel in the rough surfergravity is a jewel in the rough surfergravity is a jewel in the rough surfergravity is a jewel in the rough surfergravity's Avatar
    surfergravity has donated to the forums!

Images

Good info dude. Thanks.

I have just bought a 1994 celica gt for a sweet deal, i bought as a project and really thinking about swapping the 2nd gen 3sgte enigne. looking for some helpful information on everything i would need to pull the swap thanx!!!!

Junior Member BonzaiCelica is on a distinguished road

why not go for a 3rd generation 3sgte. Its a new engine with new technology. Id say don't even bother with the 2nd gen unless your able to find the wrc version on the 2nd gen 3sgte and its cheaper. Although at the same time the 2nd gen was brought to the states while the 3rd gen was not. Maintenance parts for both should be fairly easy to come by.

Thread Information