CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: V6 in 5th gen

Default V6 in 5th gen

has this been done? If so, can someone suggest an engine that will fit?

it has been done, cannot remember the members name, there is also a gt4 with a v8 in it..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

98 GST - Greddy Profec Type S, evo valve lash adjusters, FMIC, 660cc Injectors, EVO Big 16g Turbo, 6 BOLT SWAP, and 6 puck clutch

its adrian.....he put a 3.0 v6 1mzfe in his celica
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

how much work is it? do i need a new tranny?

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 91stxman
    its adrian.....he put a 3.0 v6 1mzfe in his celica
    He is active right now. Maybe he will see this thread and post.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

lets hope so Thanks Guys.. I am also trying to custom mold an old laptop into the dash of the passenger side..
    Last edited by Godwine; 12-29-2005 at 01:35 AM.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    He is active right now. Maybe he will see this thread and post.
    Nope. Didn't see it until this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Godwine
    has this been done? If so, can someone suggest an engine that will fit?
    (Note to self: Make your damn website, you fool. These questions won't go away and the longer you wait the more you will forget)

Yup, runs like a champ. I suggest signing up for an account over at mr2oc.com and reading their V6 forum extensively. If you have any specific questions after doing that, feel free to contact me.

I've got a 1997 Toyota Avalon V6 engine, the 1MZ-FE. It's mated to a 5spd from a 1999 Toyota Camry Solara V6. I wanted to maintain the manual shifting I had before, but was hasty and purchased an engine from an autotranny car. So I had to do some minor extra wiring and had to purchase a manual tranny ECU to plug into my 1997 harness.

You can usually find a complete engine, with ECU and harness, for about $1000. I suggest you spend the extra dough and find a complete package with a 5spd already attached. This means your options are reduced to the Camry V6 and Camry Solara V6 but you won’t have to source things like a clutch, flywheel, ECU, etc. The 1MZ also came in the Sienna, ES300, and RX300.

You will need to make some custom engine mounts, but the engine does fit into the engine bay. You will need to convert the stock fuel rail on the V6 to a return system. You will need to run custom coolant lines. Axles will bolt up with the right combination of parts (MR2 inner bolted to Alltrac outer). The rear header needs to be modified to clear the steering rack.

If I remember correctly, including a custom headerback exhaust, it came to about $4k. If you are smart about your purchasing, and also do the work yourself, I don’t see why it can’t be done for under $3k.

For that, I get a car that runs solid 14s in the quarter mile, is fun and easy to drive on the street, gets over 30mpg on the highway, and passes smog.

If you wanted to go overboard, you could also fit the TRD supercharger and add another 50hp, though I don’t know how well the supercharger will fit into the Celica engine bay.
    "The best nut you can tighten is the one behind the wheel."

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Avgerinos

(Note to self: Make your damn website, you fool. These questions won't go away and the longer you wait the more you will forget)
    Yeah, I was looking to see if you had this sticked anywhere, but alas, you don't. I miss the info we had at C.net. Oh well.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

thanks guys.. questions.. i found a couple of 92/93 Camry with tranny and engine... how good ist hat engine? i believe its a 3???? or should is it too heavy that i should just stick with the stock 5sfe?

I believe the 92/93 Camry V6 used the 3VZ-FE. Unless you plan to make over 500hp, the ironblock of that engine is just extra weight.

(NOTE: Please send an E-mail if you want to get a hold of me in a timely fashion as I don't log into this message board often anymore. I still have the V6 Celica. Yes, I do drive it daily, and no I haven't made any changes to it in the last couple years.)

Hey Adrian? Was there significant wieght gain, or loss, when you put in the new engine and tranny? I looked around a bit, but didn't really find any wieght stats on the V6.

-wrongboy
    Should your kill list include your own car?

93 ST- Dead

90 GT- Evelyn
    - Modified Ram Air intake
    - Eibach sportlines with KYB gas struts
    - 2000 GTS 16" wheels w/ Kuhmos
    - 93 tails w. vented corners
    - All trac hood
    - JDM Corners and clear signals
    - TWM Short Shifter

Images

I believe he said that after his brake conversion and engine swap, he was only running 20-30lbs heavier than a 3SGTE swap. That could easily be lost with a CF hood and some fiberglass fenders. If you were really concerned, you could also use a CS/RC crashbar as it is smaller and lighter too.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Comparing the engine weights directly, I think the 1MZFE weighs slightly less than the complete 3SGTE and probably damn close to the weight of the 5SFE. Unfortunately I didn't weight the car prior to the swap so I don't have an exact number.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Avgerinos

Yup, runs like a champ. I suggest signing up for an account over at mr2oc.com and reading their V6 forum extensively. If you have any specific questions after doing that, feel free to contact me.

I've got a 1997 Toyota Avalon V6 engine, the 1MZ-FE. It's mated to a 5spd from a 1999 Toyota Camry Solara V6. I wanted to maintain the manual shifting I had before, but was hasty and purchased an engine from an autotranny car. So I had to do some minor extra wiring and had to purchase a manual tranny ECU to plug into my 1997 harness.

You can usually find a complete engine, with ECU and harness, for about $1000. I suggest you spend the extra dough and find a complete package with a 5spd already attached. This means your options are reduced to the Camry V6 and Camry Solara V6 but you wonít have to source things like a clutch, flywheel, ECU, etc. The 1MZ also came in the Sienna, ES300, and RX300.

You will need to make some custom engine mounts, but the engine does fit into the engine bay. You will need to convert the stock fuel rail on the V6 to a return system. You will need to run custom coolant lines. Axles will bolt up with the right combination of parts (MR2 inner bolted to Alltrac outer). The rear header needs to be modified to clear the steering rack.

If I remember correctly, including a custom headerback exhaust, it came to about $4k. If you are smart about your purchasing, and also do the work yourself, I donít see why it canít be done for under $3k.

For that, I get a car that runs solid 14s in the quarter mile, is fun and easy to drive on the street, gets over 30mpg on the highway, and passes smog.

If you wanted to go overboard, you could also fit the TRD supercharger and add another 50hp, though I donít know how well the supercharger will fit into the Celica engine bay.
    That's fantastic, I've been saying for months that a V6 swap would be cheaper than a 3SGTE and nearly as much fun (if not more, depending how you like it).

Great post

-Doc
    -Dr Tweak, Toyota engine swap wiring expert extraordinaire

i think the es300 powerplant has vvti over the camry bumping it up from 186hp to 213hp (at least for the older 1mzfe's)

so not sure what year is what...but if u plan on doing this it may not cost that much to get that extra 27hp from the get go...

there are headers, underdrive pulleys, catbacks...etc for the 1mzfe but not much more... the TRD S/C is supposedly discontinued (unless you find a used one) ...

a while back i was thinking of a nitrous Daily Driver ES300 ... even though it would be much nicer to move all those plans in a daily driver celica .
    2005 C200 Kompressor sport
    K&N Filter, HKS 2.5" throttle pipe, Apexi WS2 Muffler, DIY Voltage Stabilizer, Intrax lowering springs, H&R rear 19mm sway bar, EBC redstuff pads, EBC 13" front rotors, Stop Tech front brake lines, VDO Boost gauge @ 7psi, Greddy Iridium Plugs, Sprintbooster
    On the way:HKS FCD's (12psi), Remus testpipe (2ndary cat), vortech 2:1 FMU

my blog:

Ultimo Miembro FantŠstico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

What about the SC300, the coupe version of the ES?
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

nope
    the sc300 is the lexus twin of the supra... it's almost 100% supra (chassis, brakes,engine,steering ...etc)

2jzge motor , front motor, rwd ... the camry and the celica are very related ...but the IS and SC are more supra
    2005 C200 Kompressor sport
    K&N Filter, HKS 2.5" throttle pipe, Apexi WS2 Muffler, DIY Voltage Stabilizer, Intrax lowering springs, H&R rear 19mm sway bar, EBC redstuff pads, EBC 13" front rotors, Stop Tech front brake lines, VDO Boost gauge @ 7psi, Greddy Iridium Plugs, Sprintbooster
    On the way:HKS FCD's (12psi), Remus testpipe (2ndary cat), vortech 2:1 FMU

my blog:

ok.. so its all agreed that the 3VZ-FE is too heavy for the purpose? I should just stick with the stock 5sfe and make that fast then? Or should I just look for a 3sgte? How many HP is with the stock 5sfe? and how many on the 3VZ-FE? Also the 3SGTE?

What i am trying to do is to use the old celica at home and put it on the track. I do plan on removing a lot of useless component (dash - guage pot will be welded in place, seats panels etc), i've done all kind of stuff before, but never have i done an engine swap.

thanks in advance

In my opinion, the cliff notes version is this:

The 3VZ-FE is heavy, should only be considered if you have plans to make more than 500hp. The 1MZ-FE is a great choice if you want to just drop the engine in and forget about it. The 1MZ-FE makes around 200hp stock. The 5S-FE makes around 130hp stock. For the cost of making around 200hp with a 5SFE you could go with the 1MZ-FE and get better gas mileage and a broader power range.

The 3S-GTE will be the easiest swap as it will bolt in to a GT/GT-S chassis and it will be easier to setup compared to the turbo 5S-FE. I’d say if your goal is making between 200 and 250hp, the choice of either the 3S-GTE or 1MZ-FE is a toss up and comes down to personal preference. On the other hand, 250-300hp out of a 3S-GTE is cheaper than the same amount out of a 1MZ-FE.

Junior Member fibrewizard is on a distinguished road fibrewizard's Avatar

i am doing this same conversion. ...........now 99 camry 1mz-fe if anyone else needs info hit me up

sly mantis

hi
    just started thinking about this and saw this thread.
    would htere be any more difficulty swapping it into a ST as opposed to a gt/gts?
    also does the avalon have a return style fuel rail? or what car does that can be used?
    might have a hook up on an engine from a 1995 camry, i assume the older engines might save a few of the head aches like not having electronic throttles.

Me too, also I passed an older camry stationwagon that said alltrac and was tripped out. I wonder if anything is good in it.

Here is another v6

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...irst+and+1mzfe
    1990 Toyota Celica ST

Images

Yes, there were Camry and even Corolla Alltracs. It means they are all wheel drive, not that they have a 3SGTE.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

lol I figured that but I was wondering if the alltrac could be converted over to a fifth gen
    1990 Toyota Celica ST

previa alltrac FTW

Thread Information