CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default How to install a SAFCII in a 94 GT (presure2)

Originally posted 03-08-2005, 08:28 AM by presure2

hey all installed my SAFCII today, figured id make a quick writeup on it, for future refrence...so, here it goes.

youll need:
    10mm wrench to remove battery cable
    good soldering iron with good solder
    wire strippers
    electrical tape
    14mm socket, wrachet and extention to take out your seat if you want to.

To wire in the SAFCII is actually really simple, it just a handfull of wires that need to be tapped into and one that needs to be spliced.
    So, lets get started.

DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    first you need to get crunched up in a ball, and wedge yourself into the little space in front of your passanger seat, look behind your center console, and find your ECU...if you cant find it, or dont know what a ECU is, STOP! you shouldnt be installing this!! hahah...or you can just take your seat out, its only 4 bolts...makes it much easier, lots more room to strech out and be confortable.
    you'll have a 26pin connector, a 16pin connector, and either a 12 or 22 pin connector depending on weather you have a manual or automatic, (looking from left to right.)
    pull out the 3 connectors, and reach behind the console and unplug the remaining connectors, and free up the harness so that you can have some room to work.

now, take the 26pin connector in your hand, look closley at the wire side..you'll notice they have a number on each corner of the plug, coresponding to a pin # on it. find the #1, and from there follow to pin # 3 which will be a black wire with yellow stripe. this is your RPM wire(ignitor) take your wire strippers, and about 3 or 4" from the ECU, just strip back about 1/4" if the covering, without cutting the wire.
    take the green wire from the SAFC harness, twist it around the blk/yel wire, and solder it in place, then tape it up.
    next find pin # 14 on the same 26pin connector. its a brown wire. this is your ground. your gonna connect 2 wires to this wire so take your wire strippers, and again strip back about 1/4" of the covering 3 or 4" from the ecu. take the BROWN wire from the SAFC, twist, solder, tape. then about another 2 or so inches back strip another 1/4" section of covering from the same wire. take the BLACK wire from the SAFC and twist, solder, tape. THE GROUND HAS TO BE HOOKED UP THIS WAY!!!! we're done with that connector.
    take the 16 pin connector, find the #'s again. find pin #2. its a grey wire with black stripe. this is the map sensor. about 4" back from the ECU, cut the wire and strip back about 1/4" from both sides.take the side of the wire that comes from the engine bay,and twist it together with the white wire from the SAFC, again, twist solder tape. then take the ecu side of the wire, connect with the yellow wire from the SAFC twist, solder and tape.
    next , find pin# 11, its a black wire with white stripe. thats your TPS sensor. strip back about 1/4" of the wire covering, take the grey wire from the SAFC, twist, solder, tape.
    next, find pin# 13 its a clearish white wire, thats your knock sensor. strip back about 1/4" of the wire covering, take the purple wire from the SAFC, twist, solder, tape. we're done with this connector.
    now if you have a manual, take the 12pin connector (22 if its a auto) find the #7 pin (#12 for auto) its a black wire with yellow stripe. strip back about 1/4" of the wire covering. take the red wire from the SAFC, twist, solder, tape.
    THATS IT. reconnect all the plugs, plug the SAFC into the harness,and reconnect the battery, but DO NOT start the car yet. put the ignition in the "on" position make sure nothing is burning or smoking..lol then follow the setup directions in the SAFC manual. ENJOY!!
    feel free to hit me up on AIM or whatever with any questions you might have, happy to help!
    manny
    Last edited by Lagos; 05-26-2005 at 06:54 PM.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instructions for the ST can be found HERE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94 Celica ST
    1.8l stock 7A-FE, T3/T4

04 Mazdaspeed Miata
    1.8l, Factory Turbo, Hard Dog DD Roll Bar, Custom TB inlet pipe, boost controller...it's teh faster

Guys, when you're talking SAFC installation.. i'm wondering, would it make sense to install it on 3SGE non-turbo ? I guess it would do some improvements, but am not sure if it's worth the bucks, unless there's 3SGTE. Just let me know. thanks

would this be the same on my 99 GT?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue6gcGT
    would this be the same on my 99 GT?
    yep
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

Are the color wires and/or pin location the same for a 90 5sfe?
    Bruce

i dont think so, the only way to know for sure would be to get in there and look

click
    for the specs of my 5sfte

the 90 - 93's have a different ecu then 94 - 99...

ok need help with my install.. i followed the instructions and i have a blue, pink and orange wire left over, with nothing to do with them.. I bought mine used without instructions, can anyone help??

better yet does anyone have instructions and a manual they do not need anymore.. could really use this!!

there are left over wires after the install.
    the SAFC is universal, so there are wires we dont use.
    go to apexi-usa to DL the manual.

click
    for the specs of my 5sfte

so can i take a 94-99 ecu and put it in my 93 gt-s???

cuz i just picked up the apexi neo safc-vafc and i want a clean and simple install!

or can someone with some talent just pm me and tell me wat wires go where on the 5th gen gt-s auto ecu?
    1993 Toyota Celica GT-S
    SRI
    35% TINT
    4-2-1 HEADER
    2 inch MEGAN RACING LOWERING SPRINGS
    CAT-BACK EXHAUST

is the write up also for a 92 gts?

Quote Originally Posted by CelicaNR View Post
    Guys, when you're talking SAFC installation.. i'm wondering, would it make sense to install it on 3SGE non-turbo ? I guess it would do some improvements, but am not sure if it's worth the bucks, unless there's 3SGTE. Just let me know. thanks
    I too would like to know.. looks like a useful bit of kit

Thread Information