CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default Keep chasing or throw in the towel...

Getting to that point with my truck. It's been in the shop three times in the last 6 months. Twice for transmission work (original throw out bearing crapped out, replaced everything in the bellhousing, then replaced the TOB and slave cylinder a second time when the new TOB crapped itself in 500 miles) and just last week to fix the rear end shuddering and exhaust leak, and now that all that stuff is quiet again I'm hearing the suspension components starting to go. Got squeaking from the rear that I think may be just as simple as making sure that all the springs are greased up but the front end has developed the lovely death wobble over bumps.

Oh - and the dealer no longer offers gear oil for the transmission, they say ATF will be just fine in my NV4500. Now I'm on the hunt for the liquid gold that is Syntorque.

<sighhh>

I'm starting to take it as a sign that the truck does NOT like to be used for a daily. After the Camry and Sentra accidents - the truck was used a lot more. Pretty sure it was just pissed at me for driving it all over town when it's only used to one or two trips to the office and towing up to the mountains.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Sounds like you should have bought a toyota to begin with.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Hahahaha.

Can't complain too much - I didn't pay for this truck. Just one of those annoyances that every time I drive I hear something else going on now. I'm wondering if my last outing I didn't get all the dirt/mud off the rear - I got this weird squeak coming from it now. It's not rotational squeak, but seems more suspension related (bumps, starting, stopping). Gonna put it up on jacks and try to find it. Bouncing the rear end I don't hear anything and all the common things are good (e-brake cables, spare tire, hitch).
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

So then, lube it all up with WD-40, and call it a day.

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Violence and Sin Keeps Me Fearless

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Sounds like you need a Mustang.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Images

Little more driving around today - pretty sure the shop forgot to put the LSD additive in the rear end. They did the 75w140 oil, but no LSD additive. I'm getting a nasty shudder/vibration when turning slow and decelerating/shifting (on/off throttle). It feels like it's coming from the transmission, but pretty sure it's just traveling all the way up the driveline.

And a mustang can't pull 12k....

Her Build thread -->

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4thgenceli View Post
    And a mustang can't pull 12k....
    It can if you believe hard enough.

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

Images

Well pretty sure a mustang can pull more than my truck now. It's sitting in my drive way....not going anywhere. Looks like the dealer A) forgot to put the friction modifier in the rear end so I'm getting some squeaks and grumblings around corners and B) fucked my transmission hard.

Still not sure on how they did the latter thing yet. They either drained a bit of my gear oil and left it, drained a bit and topped off with ATF, or drained it all and put all ATF in it. Either way - my drain plug on the passenger side clearly shows it's been opened and fluid drained and the adviser said 'fluid looked good that came out' (got that in a text message from him too hahhahah).

Really hard to describe - and I can't find any video or sound clips with similar sounds. Part of me wants to change the fluid in hopes that I'm just like a half or quart low and the noise is just a cause of not enough lube but finding the correct fluid is not easy. Mopar discontinued it saying ATF is fine to use - and the transmission shops around town don't have it in stock and don't know when/if they can get some more. Almost want to try a Royal Purple line or something - but even those premium lubricants don't work well in the NV4500 and people revert back to the Mopar/Chrysler branded crap.

Her Build thread -->

Images

Just bite the bullet and get a premium oil to sub for the OE stuff.

Linky

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

Violence and Sin Keeps Me Fearless

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bloodMoney View Post
    It can if you believe hard enough.
    Don't you know the F150 is just a Mustang with a Tow Package and it can do anything a Dodge can, better.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Images

Finished swapping everything out yesterday. Ended up draining, cleaning and re-filling my rear diff with some 75w140 RP and doing the same with some 75w85 SynTorq I found at the GM dealer. Rear end clunk is gone now and transmission shifts smooth as butter again. On the passenger side of the transmission clearly was a seeping leak and the drain plug also showed fluid activity (either leaking or drips from sticking a tube in/out of it). Guess the burning ATF smell I had was from me....and not from all those cars stuck in rush hour traffic. DOH.

Was still trying to find that ungodly rattle vibration through the whole freaking truck as I would decel. Had my son crawl under the truck while I was able to easily replicate it - turned out my muffler is hitting one of the exhaust hangers. Squeak also appears to be coming from the same interaction (metal/metal squeak) but could also have been my lock hanging on my hitch too.

Long story short - pretty sure I avoided a huge bullet. Still going to talk to the service manager at the dealer to see what they'll do. I kept all the fluid I drained from the transmission - which is clearly ATF (way too clean to be 145k mile gear oil, but who knows this sythentic stuff I put in is stupid awesome). All set up again and ready to do some towing for me - hopefully for at least the next 9-12 months.

Her Build thread -->

Images

I pulled a Murg on RamBro today.

Only temporary until the MF gets in tomorrow. I can't rev over 2500 without my ears bleeding.

Her Build thread -->

Images

Straight exhaust on a hemi is insane. Maybe if I had the automatic it wouldn't be as bad, but with the manual every shift it went BRAPPP. Got the MF in there - nice and calm while cruising but wakes up under throttle.

No more rattles, no more clunky shifts, no more rear end chatter....this thing feels completely new now.

Her Build thread -->

Images

So, I guess you're going to throw in the towel now while the getting is good?
    Last edited by bloodMoney; 4 Days Ago at 05:50 PM.

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

Thread Information