CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Oil pressure: Oil passage clogged?

91 GT 2.2 5SFE. Finally getting it back together after throwing a rod 18 months ago. Used a short block from a 93 GT. Did not rebuild the block but did replace all the seals.
    Got it buttoned up, started and running. A few issues but the big one is no oil pressure on idle. Found some diagrams on flow. Sump, pump, filter, asking the block to just under the pressure guage where it splits going down to the crank and up to the head paddling the pressure guage.
    Pulled the gauge under idle and found no oil. Pulled the filter and found it with oil. Cranked it without filter and did see oil coming up.
    On reseal, I did pull old housing and pump tho reseal. Found nothing odd with pump mechanism. Pulled and cleaned bypass , no issues there either. Saw nothing unusual with crank, rod caps, bearings, sludge, play etc
    Ssoo, there might be a problem with the pump running really low pressure so any oil that dies make it past the filter just falls to the crank. OR, the horizontal passageway is clogged. Anyone every clean this out or diagnose it? I could try pressure from oil filter adapter or drop oil in at the pressure sensor hole. I might try dropping in oil at different openings to see if it comes out others (ie in sensor hole and out filter

Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by sefiro View Post
    91 GT 2.2 5SFE. Finally getting it back together after throwing a rod 18 months ago. Used a short block from a 93 GT. Did not rebuild the block but did replace all the seals.
    Got it buttoned up, started and running. A few issues but the big one is no oil pressure on idle. Found some diagrams on flow. Sump, pump, filter, asking the block to just under the pressure guage where it splits going down to the crank and up to the head paddling the pressure guage.
    Pulled the gauge under idle and found no oil. Pulled the filter and found it with oil. Cranked it without filter and did see oil coming up.
    On reseal, I did pull old housing and pump tho reseal. Found nothing odd with pump mechanism. Pulled and cleaned bypass , no issues there either. Saw nothing unusual with crank, rod caps, bearings, sludge, play etc
    Ssoo, there might be a problem with the pump running really low pressure so any oil that dies make it past the filter just falls to the crank. OR, the horizontal passageway is clogged. Anyone every clean this out or diagnose it? I could try pressure from oil filter adapter or drop oil in at the pressure sensor hole. I might try dropping in oil at different openings to see if it comes out others (ie in sensor hole and out filter

Ideas?
    Mannn I saw this yesterday while I was buzzing around but forgot to read it....Here's my 2 cents on the matter.
    You said you used a SHORT BLOCK, I had to double check, the definition given for a "short block" is just the block (the bit below the cylinder head), so i'm going to assume you know what you're on about and that's what you meant to say. If you used a short block, I assume you used your original cylinder head and a new head gasket. Assuming your oil pressure sensor is good, and you verified oil being pumped from the crankcase, the only thing I could think about in this situation is the head gasket. 1. Was it the correct head gasket and 2. Was it installed properly (the right way up and facing the right direction).
    You may have installed it incorrectly and it's blocking an oil passage or more....
    That's all I could come up with...sorry it's a shitty option but nothing else makes sense to me.

Thanks for the reply.

I had a exchange with another forum and got closer to a fix.

When I pulled the block, I didn't see anything that suggested failure of parts so I used as is. I had the head redone some 8 months earlier to the door throw so I assumed it was in good shape.

Other forum suggested blowing air in ports etc to confirm flow and yes, air in the sensor port came out the oil filter return line. Plugged it and had the air come bubbling up from the filter supply - suggesting something open/loose to the crankcase (loose bearing?).

I primed the lines before reassembly this time and yippee, had some oil dribbling out of the sensor port - not a high flow - but not sure if the flow is normal. Sensor still reported low oil pressure. Will have to test the sensor as well.

I may drop the pan, replace the pump and test the bearings on the crank. Hoping someone has tested the oil flow - by removing the oil pressure sensor.

Got you...good luck though with whatever you decide.
    My last (and only) celica block which let go was because the oil pump gave out. It had been warning me for months but i had no concept of a failing oil pump so i ignored it, i even had an aftermarket gauge. I had poor oil pressure at idle which increased slightly when i raised the rpm. One night it had had enough...came off the interstate and it just dropped and refused to go up.

With the one i just got, the engine has 222000, first thing i changed was the pump.
    It's baffling that you have enough pressure to get to the filter and trickle up to the head... Maybe it is the pump after all if you only have low pressure at idle.

Thread Information