CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Convertible top questions

Hey there! I'm currently restoring a '91 GT Convertible and the top won't go down. I can hear the motor when I push close, but hear nothing when trying to open the top.

Is there a way to manually lower it? The car smells terrible so I am removing all fabrics and carpet and need to remove the headliner.

Any tips? Also anyone know why it might not be working?
    1991 Celica GT Convertible Project - Vlogger at Katie's Garage on YouTube
    @KatiesGarage to follow the build on Instagram

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Did you try cleaning the switch contacts? Try jumping the leads directly with a 12V source to see if you can get the motors to activate the other way.

There should be a switch in the trunk for manual mode for the top. It will make it easier to put the top down manually.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Hookecho
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Thanks! The motor started working after I realized it had latches that needed to be released (duh! Never owned a convertible before), but it still isn't lowering. I'm guessing it might be out of hydraulic fluid? I will look for the manual switch. Would be great if I could lower it in the meantime to get some of the other things repaired.
    1991 Celica GT Convertible Project - Vlogger at Katie's Garage on YouTube
    @KatiesGarage to follow the build on Instagram

bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The system is a mechanincal one. No hydraulic fluid.

I've started following you on insta BTW (ohboychris). You may want to start a build thread in the project section, so that more general build conversation can happen without cluttering this specific thread. ie: I suggest leaving the carpet out until the weather warms up, so you can spray the car down and find where that water was coming in from. Otherwise, you're going to put that carpet in and it's just going to get wet again....

Maybe you can start your build thread with the engine cranking video? I'd like to hear it again, but shouldn't when I'm at work.

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Yeah, it's a hydraulic pump. Check fluid level. I believe it uses dextron III. Self-bleeding.

Also, check this thread...

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...cret-project.-.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Yeah, it's a hydraulic pump. Check fluid level. I believe it uses dextron III. Self-bleeding.

Also, check this thread...

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...cret-project.-.
    I stand corrected. They moved to a mechanical system in the 6g. Thanks John.

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '94 GT-Four WRC
    '04 LS430 "Alice"

Quote Originally Posted by bloodMoney View Post
    I stand corrected. They moved to a mechanical system in the 6g. Thanks John.
    6g got the fancy stuff! Miss you punkin!

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Thread Information