CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default California 88 Alltrac

Hello everyone.

Picked up an Alltrac this past monday.

I can't post links / pictures until tomorrow but I will then.

Toyotas I've owned in order:
    1984 RA64 Celica Notchback/ Coupe GT (Creme)
    1983 MA61 Celica Supra
    1987 Toyota MR2 (Black Metallic)
    1989 Toyota MR2 (Super Red)
    1984 Toyota Corolla Liftback SR-5 (TE72) (Red 391)
    1988 Toyota Cressida (Deep Maroon)
    1991 Toyota Cressida (Black)
    1993 Toyota Previa (Cadet Blue Metallic)

and most recently: 1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac (Super Red)

It needs some things - brake resurface + pads. Going in for fresh fluid and ebrake shoes while I am in there, and adjusting the ebrake. Will update the wheel studs at this time.

Has a check engine light. Will pull the code this weekend, but it runs rough after idling a while, and has consistent poor off idle throttle response. Additionally, the valve cover is leaking so in essence, a full tuneup is necessary. Just deciding where I will order parts. Final stage of this will be sending off injectors to be cleaned and flow tested.

Cracked windshield in the front, and a leaky RR quarter window. Hoping to eventually pull OE glass from a standard celica at a junkyard if it fits.

Steering is a bit loose, so will address this with a reman'd rack and bushings where applicable.
    Power steering is out, so an uprated hose will be fabricated locally.

Starter is not receiving power from the ignition source. I read on a GRM thread that the signal wire goes bad in these cars. It is hooked up to start remotely at the moment.

Tires are gone / old - so hopefully I can find some decent wheels. Hoping to stick to the 14-16 inch range. Needs an alignment desperately.

Then comes fun stuff but mostly upgrading the existing components for reliability.

Rear struts are on their way out so looking to have some spacers locally made and hook up some ST205 spec coilovers.

Cooling will need to be addressed. No funky stuff going on right now, but I plan to take it autoxing.

Of course, I'll clean as I go.

Some kind of short shifter has been installed but it is way too notchy.

I'll let you all in on the story as I go.

Quick clarification question - I want to use parts specified for the Gen II 3SGTE when it comes to seals, etc, right?

First turbo car, first AWD car. Good times. I've wanted this for so long. I've been missing out.

Thanks for having me!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Welcome welcome.

The starter issue is typical. Do a search for 4th gen hot start problem. Just involves a 30a relay using the original signal switch to fire it up. I've done that on every celica I've owned.

If you're planning on autox it take a look at a better W2A intercooler. I've heard horror stories of turbo'd cars frying themselves due to heat soak.

Has the motor been replaced at all? If not, you'll want Gen1 3sgte parts (st165). If the motor was swapped out to a different model you'll want to go for that one.

If it is the 1st gen 3sgte, keep an eye out on the exhaust manifold. Those single entry exhaust manifolds are known to crack at the turbo.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey 4thgen! Thanks so much! That is especially helpful info and I really appreciate it!
    It is the original motor with 161k miles. I'll look out for those things and get those parts ordered.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Welcome, glad to see an Alltrac in the bay.

Do all the bushings, and find a solid dif mount. You'll like it much better.

Send the injectors to Jake @ Doctor Injector in Rancho Cordova, tell him Robert from Diamond said hello. Don't be surprised if you need to get 2 sets done to make a good set. Jacob tests the injectors properly, which involves flow rate AND solenoid response times. Have yet to have a set done that doesn't have a one or more that flow well but work too slowly. So be prepared.

http://www.doctorinjector.net/index.htm
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

Thread Information