CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Default Tricks to removing drivers side CV?

Like the title says, any tricks to popping that sucker free with the trans out of the car? I undid all the bolts holding on the little opening by mistake, I'm not sure if that makes it harder or not.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

What is the "CV"?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Il_Barone -- the 'CV' stands for Constant Velocity. Here in the states the FWD axles are typically called CV Axles, or Constant Velocity Axles.

Underscore -- the driver's side axle is held in by a snap ring. Best bet would be to use a prybar and find a leverage point you can use to pop it out of the transmission housing. You could also try a slide hammer to give it that extra kick to pop past the snap ring. It'll take some effort to get it outta there.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

I didn't realize it has a snap ring, that would explain why I couldn't make any progress whatsoever lol. Is it possible to knock it out from the other side even with that big bar across the middle? I haven't been able to get solid footing for the end of the prybar on anything.

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

I usually get on the axle with a long screwdriver and a hammer.

It does sometimes help to have someone on the end of the alxe pulling with a constant force while you're smacking the inner stub.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

I bolted the flange thing back on and managed to get it out, the output seal was already going to be replaced so I didn't worry about mangling it a bit. I'm not sure how you're supposed to do it without damaging that thin metal lip though, I'll have to bend that back into shape.

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I'm not sure how you're supposed to do it without damaging that thin metal lip though, I'll have to bend that back into shape.
    Yea... I usually don't worry about bending the dust shield back into place. It really doesn't affect anything.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Ok cool, I didn't think it was very important but didn't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodMoney View Post
    I usually get on the axle with a long screwdriver and a hammer.

It does sometimes help to have someone on the end of the alxe pulling with a constant force while you're smacking the inner stub.
    Quote.

Good tricks and tips here.

Getting it back in was a little fiddly as well, but not nearly as annoying as getting it out. Now I just need to sort out why my shifter is so sloppy and why I can't get 5th gear or reverse. It made the highway driving I did this weekend very, very noisy.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Check out your shifter bushings. Go for some brass ones -- they'll firm up your shifts greatly (link below). The may be so worn out (they're rubber from the factory) that your shifts feel really freaking sloppy.

Shifter bushings --
    http://speed-source.net/?wpsc-produc...ifter-bushings
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

The transmission ends looked okay, but I'm assuming they're original and it has 317k km so they're probably pretty worn. I'm going to check the shifter side today. When I'm in 3rd I can move the shifter all the way to either side without anything actually happening.

Thread Information