CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New car time

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default New car time

My wife & I were dead set on trading in the Mazda CX-7 for the Toyota 4-Runner. Just about 3 hours ago I got a panic call from her saying it wasn't starting. Get there, two attempted jumps, a battery test and a tow truck later it's home in the driveway and patched up (hot-start style issue, B+ to starter was corroded pretty bad). Now we're just done with the nickel & dime repairs this thing has been doing (more like $300 repairs since it's under warranty).

We're gonna go next weekend and start shopping again -- but not for the 4Runner. Since she's driving about 50 miles RT a day for work we're leaning towards a car for the fuel economy.

We rented a Camry (can't remember if '16, '17 or '18) and thoroughly enjoyed it for the weekend road trip to Cali. We have it somewhat narrowed down to Mazda 6, Toyota Camry (possibly Hybrid), Toyota C-HR. Honda wouldn't be out of the question but I haven't been in one for many, many years.

The only real requirements are back seat room for a 6' person (oldest son = 6' tall).

So Cliffs --

Toyota Camry
    Toyota C-HR
    Mazda 6
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Personally, I'd stay away from the C-Hr. Under powered with one of the worst CVTs in the business. I have read nothing good about the transmission in it. The engine is a 3ZR 2.0L. If I remember correctly, it makes 144HP. The biggest kick is the rear seating. I went to the auto show today and sat in one. I'm a big guy and I fit. BUT it is like sitting in a diving bell. The main rear window is maybe 12" wide and about 10" high. Not place I would want to ride for an extended period. Another thing that makes no sense for the segment is no AWD. It's available in overseas markets, along with a manual trans and several different engines and a hybrid option. I think the biggest issue with the vehicle being the way it is, is that it was originally going to be a Scion and Toyota hasn't made any adjustments to content yet. Similar to the 86. Although the '18 86, while adding two additional trim levels, didn't change that much, if any, from the '17 or the FRS.

I haven't driven one of the new Camrys yet but I have been in several. Nice car. Big upgrade from the prior model. The new 4 cylinder, model name is A25A, is a good engine so far. Makes over 200 HP in the Camry. The V6 is the GR Kai that went into production 2 years ago. Main difference for the Kai is that it has direct injection in addition to the port injection. It's the D4S system. Both have the new 8 speed transmission. We build both transmissions and both of the engines. The transmission seems to be pretty good so far. The main complaint I've seen in print is the shift programming. The media says it's programmed more for fuel economy than performance. Although one our QC goes that does teardown and installs in the fleet vehicles say that it shifts pretty good and he hadn't noticed the slow shifts and such. My suggestion would be to drive one and see what you think.

As for the 6, I've read good things about it but haven't driven one.

So Cliffs, avoid the C-HR, drive the Camry and the 6 and see which you like.
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Thanks Mike -- that's awesome.

We've rented a camry for a vacation last year or so (it was a 16/17 year I think) and we enjoyed it. Plenty of umph, highway passing, etc. We've also been in the 6 as well. We just went and car hopped at the dealer through all them (C-HR, Camry, Accords, Civics). All seem well and everything is in the same price point we're looking (low 20k).

I think it's gonna come down to how my wife buys vehicles.

"I like that one I want it.".

She's very much so a visual buyer. She leaves all the research up to me. Once I decide on what to get (or narrow it down to 1 or 2 for her to pick between) she does the visual shopping. I have to say right now the Camry is in the winning list just off of past history with them and how they re-designed the 2018 model.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Violence and Sin Keeps Me Fearless

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Why the hate for Ford?

The Ecosport and Escape would fit your needs and by much cheaper than an import option.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Images

No hate, she's just a very visual buyer. She doesn't like how those are styled.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Her Build thread -->

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

That is why my wife has no input on what my money buys her.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Images

Hahaha.

She brings about 1/3rd of what I do. This is her car and what she'll be driving all the time. I just took a gander at the Ford line and I don't think she'll go for the ecoboost and the explorer is out just on fuel mileage alone (17/24). Her car is listed at 20/28 and averages about 21mpg total right now (according to the fuel economy thing on the dash).

Ford is like 2 blocks away from the Toyota dealer so we can take a walk there and check them out though.

Her Build thread -->

Images

Ecoboost and Explorer?

I meant EcoSport and Escape. We almost bought an escape clone many years back when we looked at a Mazda Tribute. I just don't think she'll go for the new escape though. Visually and the fuel economy is just about what we're getting now. The Ecoboost is already out just looking at it. Looks too much like a Juke IMO.

Her Build thread -->

Images

I will be honest, the Ecoboost is on the shortlist for when the wife gets her new car. We may go with an Outback, because it has more room for the dogs, but I am really keen on the Ecoboost.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Tim, IMO the only option here is the Camry.

One of the guys in the club just had his '15 Mazda 3 burn to the ground because of a hard interference on the fuel injector wires. It caused them to short and start a fire. Thankfully, he had parked the car and was in the house when it happened. It just sucks to come out to ashes where you had left your relatively new car.

To Murg's point, have her take a gander at the new Taurus or Fusion....
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Images

We're going to check out some of the similar competitors before we completely pull the trigger. Just off what we have always been chatting on the Camry is on the short list for us (to the point I put in an app with TFS for 0.9% and have notes out to my banks about getting pre-approvals lined up).

I haven't been in a new Ford for a while - hopefully they aren't following Chevy/GMC and doing that plastic-y interiors. The inlaws have a new(ish) Equinox and Truck. The interiors just look too toyish for our liking. Even the rental Cruze and Malibu we just as crap.

Her Build thread -->

I saw an EcoSport at the auto show yesterday. Not a bad looking little ride. Key word being "little". It looked to be to be a bit bigger than the Chevy Trax.

With your boys Tim, it would probably be on the small side. Just my two cents.
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86

I think it's great to see Lexus helping Toyota in competing for the prestigious "ugliest front grill" award. Even the lowly Corolla is equally as ugly as the flag ship LC500. The relentless pursuit of hideousness.

I'd buy a Kia Optima before I'd buy an ugly ass Camry.

And I'm a hardcore Toyota guy.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

I wish you would tell us how you really feel!
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86

I can be sooo vague! LOL!

I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Yeah, honestly, check the Kia Optima out, I'd stay away from Hyundai Sonata the interiors feel... ugh. Also, consider a Nissan Altima.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

I would stay away from the Altima unless you enjoy the sound of standing under a tin roof in the rain.

I've never been in a car whose roof/headliner offered such little sound dampening, it made my head hurt.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Images

We actually like the nose on the 18 Camry.

Toyota was the last stop yesterday on the 'tour de' dealers'. She saw the one I originally picked out for her and said that is the one she wanted. We'll be heading back tonight to sign paperwork and get it on a lease (help wash the equity on the Mazda).

We won't do Nissan for the reason BloodMoney stated. We had one for a rental and it was HORRIBLE on the drive. Road noise was unbearable at times. Couldn't hold a conversation with it.

Hyundai & Kia are out already. Won't do business with that company again after our Accent issues we had.

Her Build thread -->

What model are you getting Tim?
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86

Images

The SE.

She really likes the blue crush with the black/grey wheels and dark leather/cloth mixed interior. The LE interior was too cheesy looking in the macadamia.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Her Build thread -->

The SE is a good choice. It's got the better suspension and is a nicer car all around. In my opinion anyway.
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Alltrac View Post
    The SE is a good choice. It's got the better suspension and is a nicer car all around. In my opinion anyway.
    Winnar. That's the reason for the SE over the L/LE. On road trips I drive it. Driving up to the mountains I always take the fun way through the Salt River twisties.

Her Build thread -->

Getting the 4 or the 6?
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86

Well now I see the SE is 4 cyl only. It should move along well. We might have built the engine here at the plant. Definitely built the transmission.
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86

Images

Yea SE is only 4. If we go XLE/XSE then we can get the 6 but one of the primary reasons for the new car is fuel economy. The V6 has the same mileage that we get now (she's averaging between 21-22). Did the math and we'll be saving about $120-150 in fuel costs a month alone if it gets the 38mpg.

Her Build thread -->

Thread Information