CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 91 GTS header

Default 91 GTS header

I have searched everywhere online for a good quality header for my car and am unable to find one. Basically all I can find are eBay headers and I want something that will last and will have no issues installing. Are there good quality headers for this car out there?
    Thanks

You get an OEM 3S-GE header imported for a true 4 to 2 to 1 exhaust manifold (two parts)... for like 5 HP gains. The problem is that you dump a ton of money into making a 5S-FE fast... and you could have just swapped to a better NA or turbo motor for the same or less and had more power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Okay thanks. I have looked into doing a swap and it is pretty big bucks from what I have found. And a lot of work. I'm looking into having the cams and head built. Ive got a pretty good idea on how much it will be to have the cams done and it's not a whole lot I just need to find a good machine shop that can advise me on the head. It's not going to be super fast but it'll be fun.

So just to clearly state:
    Spending money on a 5S-FE motor is purely a labor of love as you won't get any major gains from any one thing

Read this: Getting power from a 5SFE without forced induction it will give you an idea, but keep in mind it is an old post, so some manufacturers may have stopped making parts.

Just based on the mild build that's basically the cost of a 3S-GTE from a 205 or 215, so from a part cost stand point it just doesn't make much sense to dump money into 5S-FE performance rather than 3S-GTE.

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by METDeath View Post
    So just to clearly state:
    Spending money on a 5S-FE motor is purely a labor of love as you won't get any major gains from any one thing

Read this: Getting power from a 5SFE without forced induction it will give you an idea, but keep in mind it is an old post, so some manufacturers may have stopped making parts.

Just based on the mild build that's basically the cost of a 3S-GTE from a 205 or 215, so from a part cost stand point it just doesn't make much sense to dump money into 5S-FE performance rather than 3S-GTE.

He's right. Either way you'll be doing a new intake and exhaust to help the head and cam work breath better right? A 3sgte swap isn't much more than the head/cam work. You can get a good ST215 motor for around $900 with ECU/Harness. A custom wire conversion is about 400. For about $2500 you'll have a running 3sgte (sometimes less if you get good deals on the stuff).
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

There are a few cats that have gone out of their way to make power on a 5SFE. One who doesn't post here that often and one that passed away, none who have posted in the last five years or so. Mr Turrari has gone to great lengths as a labor of love. Bruce eventually swapped a 3SGTE. I think at the end of the day no one has made more than 150BHP on one. And at that point they were well past the cost (not frustration) of a 3SGTE swap.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Thank you for everyones input. I am aware that building the 5fse is not something that is done often, due to it being an engine with gas mileage in mind over performance. I was going to call a local toyota performance shop to try to get a better idea on pricing for the head and cam build. If anyone has a link to a detailed 3sgte swap with pricing I would like to read it because that is ultimately what I'd really like to do in the end. I figured if I could get about 160whp and spend about a $1000 that would be a decent gain for the money. It would be a hell of a lot better than what it makes now that's for sure lol. I bought this car not knowing the huge following behind them (I had always loved the way they looked and had been trying to find a 94-99gt model when I found this one) and was something that was just going to be a to and from work, get better gas mileage than my other car at the time. So you could say I am pleased that I have a good amount of options to make it a cool project.

I have some parts from my 5sfte build if you wanted to go that route. Also have stock cam shafts from a 91 gts I bought from a member to be re ground, but never got done

Project Ava

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Just putting a 3SGE head onto the 5SFE block might be a better option, I haven't looked into the details of it for several years but I know there's info on here somewhere about making a 5SGE.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I know that the few 5SFE builds that have been documented went over the $1000 mark, significantly. They also do not hit 160BHP, much less WHP. Cams alone will run you $300-$500. Add a header and intake and you are at $800 before any machine work or fuel system.

You can buy a 3SGTE of various flavor for $1500 give or take based on what you want. Yes, that is more than $1000. Yes, that is just to get in the door. You will then have another $1000 in making it run if you wire it and swap it yourself. However you have a factory engine that is not modified, and is going to be more reliable as it was designed to make that power. At 250BHP (or higher) you will be well above your mark of 160WHP.

The old tenet of of fast, cheap, reliable, pick two, is an age old fact.

If it were me I would drive the car till the wheels fell off, all while saving or buying a piece at a time for a 3SGTE or 5SFTE. However, look around, and anyone that wanted to make power (and not just for the sake of doing it the hard way) swaps in a 3SGTE. That is where the knowledge base is, that is where the aftermarket is, and that is where the power is.

Now, in my world, I never though the Celica was a powerful car. My daily driver makes twice the power you are looking for. Chaos and I have been doing this for two decades. She is not fast. Even after she gets her next new engine she might only be marginally fast. However she will stick to the road upside down and outhandle cars that cost ten times as much. She is light and nimble. Those are the traits she was born with, and that is what I have worked to enhance. Yes, her next engine will be a 3SGTE, I just haven't gotten around to it. But even with her 4AFE, she embarrassed a lot of more powerful cars given the proper environment.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

^^^
    What this guy said. Here is the link to my build thread from a '89 GTS I had a while ago

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44047

All the parts to it (probably missing some and rounded but prices are pretty close to what I paid from records I have)

Powertrain:
    1999 Toyota Caldina 3s-gte (ST215). $900
    1993+ Toyota MR2 turbo transmission (e153) with a 1.5way TRD LSD: $950
    ACT organic street series clutch disc with heavy duty pressure plate: $350
    Wire harness conversion from Dr. Tweak: $350
    3" exhaust from downpipe back to a Magnaflow Street Series muffler: $150

Powertain extras:
    Treadstone TR8 front mount intercooler: $250
    2.5" aluminum intercooler piping: $100
    SARD r2d2 BOV: Retail around $250, think I paid $100?
    Speed source poly front/rear motor mounts: $90
    Speed source brass shifter bushings: $50
    AutoPWR all aluminum dual core radiator with dual 12" pusher fans: $200 ($150 radiator, $50 fans)

Chassis extras:
    Megan coilovers, rear sway bar, end links and tie rods: $1000
    Supra TT Walbro 255lph: $150

Interior:
    Gauges (boost, oil, water): $250
    It was a tick shy of $5k for me to build that car. It was fast, it was a blast and I regret selling it but I needed a roof over my family's head.

Now will you need all of that? Doubtful. If I were to do it again (wait..I am! lol) I would start again with the handling and build up to the motor. That motor was crazy overpowered for the chassis. Torque steered like a mofo at full boost. Better tires helped. Suspension adjustments were also helpful.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Quote Originally Posted by 4thgenceli View Post
    ^^^
    What this guy said. Here is the link to my build thread from a '89 GTS I had a while ago

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44047

All the parts to it (probably missing some and rounded but prices are pretty close to what I paid from records I have)

It was a tick shy of $5k for me to build that car. It was fast, it was a blast and I regret selling it but I needed a roof over my family's head.

Now will you need all of that? Doubtful. If I were to do it again (wait..I am! lol) I would start again with the handling and build up to the motor. That motor was crazy overpowered for the chassis. Torque steered like a mofo at full boost. Better tires helped. Suspension adjustments were also helpful.
    "Torque steered like a mofo" that got me laughing pretty good although I had figured that adding that much power would have that effect to some extent. Actually what you said about building my way to the motor is what I am doing. I have some exhaust pieces from a previous car waiting to welded on. After that I was planning on getting a set of BC coilovers, bigger rear sway bar, upgraded end links, new ball joints (performance ball joints if I can find some) wider wheels and tires with spacers that make the wheels not recessed in the wheel wells anymore. After that was when I was going to make my final decision about the motor. I can be a little impatient at times so building the current motor seemed like a quicker, cheaper option.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

If i was set on keeping and building a 5sfe i would get a beams 3sge tranny. The different gearing i hear make the car much more peppy.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ttack-Car.aspx

Page 4 is where he talks about the tranny but its a good read if you like 5sfe

I have a findanza lightweight flywheel for free if anyone wants it. Its from my old 5sfe. Don't have a need for it now since i swapped. Just pay shipping. It also needs a new resurfacing plate from fidanza. It will make your revs a little bitty faster... both ways, up and down haha. Great for rev matching downshifts and aggressive turn ins.
    Last edited by celica91gts; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:10 AM.

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jman91 View Post
    "Torque steered like a mofo" that got me laughing pretty good although I had figured that adding that much power would have that effect to some extent. Actually what you said about building my way to the motor is what I am doing. I have some exhaust pieces from a previous car waiting to welded on. After that I was planning on getting a set of BC coilovers, bigger rear sway bar, upgraded end links, new ball joints (performance ball joints if I can find some) wider wheels and tires with spacers that make the wheels not recessed in the wheel wells anymore. After that was when I was going to make my final decision about the motor. I can be a little impatient at times so building the current motor seemed like a quicker, cheaper option.
    Like Murg said --

Cheap, Fast and reliable. Pick two. I did the Fast & Cheap (since i was sourcing parts for crazy deals). I had a few problems from a seized turbo (overboosted and blew it) to flywheel bolts that weren't completely torqued down two an axle stub snapping. This way round I'm doing the fast & reliable using the experience I learned the first time.

And yes - that 215 was crazy overpowered for the chassis. The limited slip in the transmission helped a lot but if I didn't have that suspension upgraded, all new brake hardware (did SS lines too) and those new shoes I would of wound up around a tree or lightpole.

Pick 2.

Her Build thread -->

Right now I want to get my exhaust parts put on and get the suspension done and see where I'm at. I do a little bit to each project that I have at a time but I am excited for those things to get done. The suspension will be a big improvement I think.

Images

A good suspension should be the first mod on any Celica. Over an exhaust and intake IMO.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Aside from chopping off a clogged muffler to replace it (I seem to recall bits of the cat clogging the mufflers being a problem on 5th gens) even just some fresh dampers and whatever that cheap rear strut bar we can re-purpose (I want to say Probe/MX-6?) makes a much bigger difference than an intake or exhaust IMO.

Images

I think it was a Neon strut bar.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroy View Post
    A good suspension should be the first mod on any Celica. Over an exhaust and intake IMO.
    +1 to this. Good suspension and sticky tires and you'll be smiling all day long. Then when you have the money for horsepower, add a turbo/3sgte in the mix and you will have a car that can handle it.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroy View Post
    I think it was a Neon strut bar.
    I know one end is a Neon, one is a Probe/MX-6 but I can't remember which is which. The info is around here somewhere.

Rear is Mazda MX6 Probe 93-96 RS LS Rear, but you have to cut it a little as only two of the three bolt holes line up. Look for one that a bolt through for the bracket, so you can remove the bar for cargo purposes.
    Front is 95-99 Neon Front bar, look for the one with a complete ring and you have to put the bar in the front of the rings, not the back. Also, will likely not clear a TMIC on an 3S-GTE swap. You also need to cant it towards the firewall to clear the hood. It will block the oil fill cap though.

Thread Information