CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 5sfe to 3sgte, fwd to awd

Hi my name is Mark, and I have recently blew my rods in my daily 1992 Celica GT. I took this as a sign that its time for me to start building experience and experimenting so I can grow and better myself as an apprentice.

(I am currently in school for a tech in Canada and just finished level 1 so I have a little bit of knowledge. Not a whole lot of experience but I do have the capacity to learn)

I was thinking of just going all out and make my daily a project. With the encouragement of a few friends, I made the decision of sourcing a 3sgte and dropping it in my GT, and if possible converting it to 4WD (I read that the GT and GT-S have the same setup as the All Trac and the hole drive shaft is already there.) I was wondering if there was anything I should know and if you could recommend where I can get the parts from or just advice in general as I have never done anything like this before. Your help would be much appreciated. if you would like to continue privately. Thanks!

Edit: I know this probably has been asked many times but I havent found anything recent about this. So the market may be different. Which is why I am writing this now.

Find an alltrac in need of repairs and rebuild it. Your gt still need the engine, harness, computer, rear suspension/drive train etc. Pretty much replacing everything except the front suspension and transmission.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I found an engine online from a jdm source, its a complete engine with
    "
    Transmission 5 Speed Manual
    ECU (Computer)
    Alternator, Starter
    Turbo Charger
    Igniter Pack
    AC and PS Pumps
    Coilpacks
    Intake and Exhaust manifolds
    Uncut Wiring Harness
    "

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The 3SGTE will drop right in to your GT and bolt right up to your transmission. You will not be able to use the AWD transmission without major modifications. You will need to rewire the wiring harness a bit to make it all work.

You can convert it to AWD too, the easiest way to to convert it to money, by selling it, then using the money to buy an Alltrac.

The hard way is to buy an Alltrac shell, cut the rear pans out of it then use them in place of the rear pans on your car. The FWS 5th gen doe not have any provisions for the rear suspension, routing for the driveshaft (as that is where the exhaust goes) or room for the gas tank.

We have an entire subforum dedicated to swapping the 3SGTE. It contains well over 20 years of accumulated knowledge.

We have one simple answer on 5th Gen AWD conversions: Nope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda for President

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

FYI: The 94-99 Celicas are the models that have the correct floorpan to accommodate the driveshaft. Not the 5th gen.

Even despite that, there is currently, no direct bolt-in solution to convert any FWD Celica to AWD.

I do hope you still decide to do the 3s swap though. Totally worth it.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Hmmm seems like the logical thing to do at my skill level would just be bolting the 3sgte on to the fwd tranny and go from there. i might just do that. but i am having trouble sourcing an engine as i live in canada and most of the 3s engines are in the states.. any idea what i can do? The engine i found previously was based in the states and i was told by a friend that i wont be able to ship it here to canada

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

There are importers in Canada. ChrisD may have a suggestion for you.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

I've found quite a few importers in Canada.

If you're going to the swap, research doing the 4th gen 3S. It will require harness work but it's worth it. There's a company in Georgia that will do the harness. Search for Wire Gap.

http://www.wiregapinc.com/
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Where in Canada are you??
    I got my gen.4 3s from jdm source out of Calgary last year. Very helpful and easy to deal with!
    Last edited by pintoBC_3sgte; 08-09-2017 at 04:10 AM.

Project Ava

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-Toyota-3S-G...%257Ciid%253A1

This is from jdm source, just listed on eBay. This is how I found mine and I called them about it and got it that way.

Damn! Way lower mileage then the one I got!

Project Ava

I going to start pulling my motor this week! i got a friend to lend me a crane, I was wondering what other tools i would need!!!!

I ordered the engine, damn i am so excited

Nice! Which engine did you go with? Where in BC are you?

Edit: nice just saw you got the one I posted!

Project Ava

Vancouver. also the engine doesnt come with the harness or the ecu. any idea what ecu i should use?

You need the ecu for 3sgte. The engine requires different injector firing, timing, and controls unique to the engine. As a result, you'll also need the matching wire harness as the plugs for the ecu are different between gt and gte

Needs to be a gen.4 ecu and wire harness.

Post here with what you need. I'm sure someone can help.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1689...82915/?fref=nf
    Last edited by pintoBC_3sgte; 08-09-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Project Ava

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by RelicCELIC View Post
    The engine i found previously was based in the states and i was told by a friend that i wont be able to ship it here to canada
    I'm not sure who told you that, but for future reference they're wrong. It's a hassle to do thanks to shipping costs, but it's completely doable.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

would a 5th gen 3sgte ecu work? like the one below? (sorry can post link but it should be the first one to pop up on google)

Toyota Caldina ST246 3S-GTE Denso Engine Computer ECU GEN5 Oem Jdm used

I tried to find a 4th gen ecu but I am having no luck at all

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RelicCELIC View Post
    would a 5th gen 3sgte ecu work? like the one below? (sorry can post link but it should be the first one to pop up on google)

Toyota Caldina ST246 3S-GTE Denso Engine Computer ECU GEN5 Oem Jdm used

I tried to find a 4th gen ecu but I am having no luck at all
    I did a little research into the 5th gen 3SGTE but decided against it. If I remember right the ST246 ECU has a chip disabler. This requires a special key transmitter to make it work. You would be better off finding the gen4 one. It'll be less headache when it comes to wiring and stuff.

Personally, I think you jumped the gun on buying that motor. You can usually find a good ST215 motor, ecu and harness for around the same price that you paid for just the motor. You can always call other importers and see if they have just the ECU/Harness available.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

the engine does have the harness i think, its just cut. How short? i dont know but the engine is gonna come in today or tomorrow so ill upload a photo of it.. I might have to get individual harness though.. hopefully its long enough, but do you guys know that if i am gonna need my original harness from the 5sfe? i also already ordered the gen4 ecu

also I am having a little bit of trouble with the fuse box, I cant unplug the individual wires. do i use a pin? thanks

Most of the fuse box wires are pigtail snap ins. The wires for the larger fuses are bolted in. These larger fuse/wires are connected through a plastic base that can be unclipped from the rest of the fuse box (and pushing down). You can then gain easy access to all the bolts.

Wiring harness for 5sfe and gte are different. Different ecu pigtail, extra sensor(s), different sensor location etc.

You will need your 5 s harness, your harness shouldn't be cut from the engine you are getting. Both harnesses will be sent out to make one new harness. Look up wiregap for the conversion, or you can go thru prime , which uses wiregap

Project Ava

Also, with your new engine, I would recommend doing some maintenance items, like new seals, hfh, hfhoe... etc. Also a known issue is the bottom left manifold stud will be snapped or broken, so might want to replace the studs while it's out of the bay.
    Fuel pump should be upgraded as well.

Project Ava

Thread Information