CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by sefiro View Post
    Slightly, slightly off topic. Theory on why US ecm has STJ while others do not. Prove the theory though and it might help with the op problem.

Toyota had to deal with tighter emissions/greater mpg requirements of the US vs non US. it's possible that they put small main injectors in the US vehicles. The larger Japanese injectors could support cold start fuel requirements with a longer pulse width from the ecu. However, the smaller US injector could not be pulsed long enough without risking a burn out. So Toyota solved it by having the ecu take over the cold start injector after its timer expired.

Or, the US cold start injector timer has a shorter timer length than non US to ensure that excess fuel would not be dumped into the system. The ecu would take over sooner. This implies that the ecu was controlling parts of the fuel system even though it was had not switched closed/open loop.

In either case, the above would require checking part numbers across the builds. Ideally, the injectors, cold start and o2 circuits would be capped on both builds to verify control activity.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    I think the injectors are the same. The replacement injectors I've seen on US parts sites looks the same as what I have. And I have a spare cold injector that looks the same that I bought off someone here, don't know what his setup was tho. It's most likely something with the cold start circuit. My JDM setup has no STJ pin on the ECU and the injector is not getting ground while cranking. According to the shop.

How about this. What if I spliced a wire to the cold injector ground wire? At least to see what happens. Would that hurt anything? It only gets power while cranking.
    69 Mustang coupe 351W edelbrock performer top end, 89 Mustang GT TF top end BBK SSI intake, 90 All Trac JDM 92 swap! "Fiery the angels rose...Deep thunder rolld' around their shores. Indignant, burning with the fires of Orc."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by 90ToyAllTrac View Post
    What if I spliced a wire to the cold injector ground wire? At least to see what happens. Would that hurt anything? It only gets power while cranking.
    Why not just unplug the injector and test at the plug?
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Doesn't really matter now but did a video of it just for the heck of it.

69 Mustang coupe 351W edelbrock performer top end, 89 Mustang GT TF top end BBK SSI intake, 90 All Trac JDM 92 swap! "Fiery the angels rose...Deep thunder rolld' around their shores. Indignant, burning with the fires of Orc."

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Here's the Alltrac diagram, I'm not sure if it's the exact same as the GTFour system but it should be more correct than the 5SFE/4AFE one posted above: http://www.celicatech.com/bgbonline/90alltrac/FI/FI.htm
    Ok so on this diagram since my ECU has no STJ (injector) pin where/what would STJ be on my setup? EDIT ok so if its its own circuit then there's just the timing switch input and the STJ must be the ground wire?

Last edited by 90ToyAllTrac; 10-04-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Finally did some decent research. . .

The timer switch is located on the water pipe (finally figured out what this last switch is after 26 years huh). The ground point appears to be the switch to pipe threading. Misleading naming , it's not time length that is invoked with power from the starter , but rather - the car takes time to warm up and is this length of time that gives the switch it's timer name.

There are writeups about measuring resistance on this switch (pending temperature). There is also a writeup about bypassing this switch , going directly to ground that will enable the injector to fire on all starts , tiny fuel waste only during starting of a warm car.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

I do not think this is a cold start problem. It's not going to take that long to crank without the cold start working unless it's freezing ass cold outside. I never used mine, never had a problem even at high altitude a little below freezing. You weren't sputtering while cranking.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

I would tend to agree, your dying problem and your hard start problem are probably related. Have you tried priming the fuel system a couple times before trying to start it? Cranking for that long all the time is gonna nuke your starter pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by 90ToyAllTrac View Post
    Ok so on this diagram since my ECU has no STJ (injector) pin where/what would STJ be on my setup? EDIT ok so if its its own circuit then there's just the timing switch input and the STJ must be the ground wire?
    STJ looks to be the route to ground through the timer.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I would tend to agree, your dying problem and your hard start problem are probably related. Have you tried priming the fuel system a couple times before trying to start it? Cranking for that long all the time is gonna nuke your starter pretty quick.

STJ looks to be the route to ground through the timer.
    Yes I have tried priming it. Also have a new pump, filter and pressure regulator.

I will try bypassing the switch which is also new.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of

Images

Solenoid light on the main rail would be my next step.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

Quote Originally Posted by MrWOT View Post
    Solenoid light on the main rail would be my next step.
    I did a search, nothing helpful. What is that?

Images

Its called a noid light. Different sizes for different car mfgs. Can get a relatively cheap set at HF.

There's something to be learned from everything. I tried bypassing the cold start injector switch. No change. While I was plugging everything back in the big wire plug that consolidates the temp sensor, cold start injector switch sensor and the oil pressure sensor fell out. When I plugged it back in firmly. Fixed everything. Even the CEL is off for the first time ever. So cause was loose wire plug for 2 years. Fuck. Car is 100% for the first time ever. Well, the heater doesn't work and can't see through back window during weather and dark cause can't get shitty tint off so can't drive in winter anyway. But otherwise, 100% Fucking cars.

Clap, clap, clap.

Old cars - a hobby.

Next is new Corbeau seats and brackets. Maybe I'll even join you guys for for one of those Ogopogo's or Dragon runs someday.
    Last edited by 90ToyAllTrac; 10-10-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Thread Information