CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof question

Hybrid View

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Default Roof question

on a non sunroof Celica, is there metal or some sort of body filler under the paint on the roof?

my roof seems to have some sort of filler covering the entire area and it's thick.. like maybe 3 pennies worth.

I've pulled a lot of it up because it started cracking/lifting but I don't know what I should do to repair it. I've body filled it but it comes back or at a different place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Steve.

No, it if was a non-sunroof car, there should be no filler on the roof. That panel should be a solid stamping.

From the looks of our cars, the two outer roof rails should be part of the uniside and the center roof panel is either bonded or spot welded in at the factory. Give the age of the 5th gens, it's probably welded. I've seen the assembly process at the vehicle plants now and quite a few of the roof panels are bonded now.

On the roof like that, from body shop days, my guess would be that there was hail damage or something similar and they just laid the bondo on to fix the dents. I've seen that done unfortunately.

Can you drop the headliner and see what the underside of the roof panel looks like?
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

All roofs on 5th Gens were spot welded. The new bonding adhesive we have today was not available back then. My son's All-Trac had some upper roof rust issues, and we found a good donor All-Trac that we used to merge into one. The donor roof was cut off where spot welded, and was bonded with a few spot welds at the body shop.

I think you are right, there is no coating on those roof panels. Hail damage is a logical explanation in that bondo was used to remove the dents from the hail. The body shop is saved the labor from removing and reinstalling the headliner. Not the correct solution, but a low cost solution that will last a short time.

Thread Information