CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Stock ST185 turbo boosting?

My Accel boost gauge (which hasn't worked in a while) I never saw it go over 6 lbs which I understand to be factory set. I believe I've read the CT26 "system" can take up to 12 lbs?

Just ordered a AEM boost controller gauge. What should I know about using a boost controller to avoid causing any damage? Or is there nothing to worry about? Just trying to be pro active for a change. Over the years I've tried to learn the complexities of turbos but it still eludes me. EDIT: I just realized I don't even know if a boost controller will allow me to get more that 6 lbs. ?
    69 Mustang coupe 351W edelbrock performer top end, 89 Mustang GT TF top end BBK SSI intake, 90 All Trac JDM 92 swap! "Fiery the angels rose...Deep thunder rolld' around their shores. Indignant, burning with the fires of Orc."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

i thought you can only boost as much as your stock waste gate will allow before it opens. but in this thread it says it will take 12 psi of boost even though the stock waste gate is at 7psi.

http://www.mr2oc.com/61-3sgte-turbo/...-pressure.html

can someone elaborate?

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

A boost controller interrupts the boost signal line between the intake and the wastegate. Without any boost controller, you are limited to wastegate spring pressure.

What a boost controller does is limit the amount of boost that the wastegate sees, until the desired boost is reached, at which point there is enough pressure at the wastegate to activate it and keep the boost at a certain level.

90Toy: If you install a boost controller, and set it at 12 psi, the car should make 12 all the time. I say it like that because, if your car is bone stock, the TVSV limits the boost in 1st and 2nd gear to 8 psi (OEM wastegate spring pressure), then ups the boost in the 3rd, 4th, 5th to 11psi.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Awesome info. Thanks guys! When I got my car it had a super cheap boost controller but I didn't notice any difference when I adjusted it so I chucked it. Can't wait for my first adventure in boost control.
    69 Mustang coupe 351W edelbrock performer top end, 89 Mustang GT TF top end BBK SSI intake, 90 All Trac JDM 92 swap! "Fiery the angels rose...Deep thunder rolld' around their shores. Indignant, burning with the fires of Orc."

I'm running mine with a manual boost controller at 13 psi with no problems. Make a difference in the power though!
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Alltrac View Post
    I'm running mine with a manual boost controller at 13 psi with no problems. Make a difference in the power though!
    Good to know! Thanks

Step 1: Throw CT26 in dumpster. Install CT20b.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Step 1: Throw CT26 in dumpster. Install CT20b.
    Is that a 1 2 1 "bolt on" swap? nothing else needed? What about the ECU and TVSV limiting at 11 psi as stated above?

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

The wastegate is built for ~6psi, the TVSV is a bleeder type boost controller that is only active in 3/4/5 gear and lets it reach ~11psi. If you have a free flowing exhaust it will generally go a bit above these levels on its own. The ECU has a fuel cut at 14.7psi (1 bar) as standard (17psi in the RC/CS/GrpA) so be sure you have a good boost gauge working before changing anything as fuel cuts are very hard on the engine. A boost controller can increase the boost beyond what the wastegate is set for because it blocks the air from getting to the wastegate until the pressure rises above what the controller is set for.

The CT20b should be a bolt on swap and is an improvement over the CT26 but since you've been rolling around at 6psi jumping to 11 or 12 will be a big difference already. Especially if you're turbo is healthy, personally I'd leave it alone.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

EDIT:
    I think I may have been wrong about st185 having and external wastegate? Someone on alltrac.net said it is internal. And I saw elswhere that the actuator is external. So just need confirmation that the st185 has an internal wastegate?

Ok so wiring is done. Just need some logic checking. Instructions say to T connect vac between turbo and boost controller. (if external) And vac from waist gate to wherever it goes, cant see, run to boost cntrlr solenoid. Guessing I should plug the one to the block or wherever it goes???
    Last edited by 90ToyAllTrac; 09-29-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

ct26 has an internal waste-gate with an external waste-gate actuator. if you want an external one to be able to hold higher pressure you need to weld the internal one shut.
    Last edited by celica91gts; 09-29-2016 at 01:13 PM.

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Quote Originally Posted by celica91gts View Post
    ct26 has an internal waste-gate with an external waste-gate actuator. if you want an external one to be able to hold higher pressure you need to weld the internal one shut.
    Thanks!

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

There should be a thread on Alltrac.net with instructions on how to connect everything up, but basically disconnect the hose between the TVSV and the wastegate actuator. Cap the TVSV side, connect the output of the boost controller to the wastegate side. Connect the rest of the boost controller per it's instructions.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Results are in. Minus programming.

Quote Originally Posted by 90ToyAllTrac View Post
    Is that a 1 2 1 "bolt on" swap? nothing else needed? What about the ECU and TVSV limiting at 11 psi as stated above?
    It's a bolt up. CT26 falls off at high RPM's, dropping boost pressure. The ct20b holds 18 psi all the way to redline.

Cap off the TVIS. Inhibit boost cut. (lots of info on that). Boost controller. Enjoy. The difference is night and day.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

He means TVSV.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

Even tho I can't figure out how to program it yet. Have the instructions and watched a AES video didn't help. This boost controller is sweet tits! I can get up to about 9.6 lbs of boost after that it dumps it but its twice as fun as stock 6 lbs.

Thread Information