CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Wheel spacer help!

So I need to find 35mm spacers for the rear of me 94 celica gt and I can't find anything. Someone help?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Yeah, buy wheels that fit without spacers.

Spacers are sometimes a necessary evil, but they kill wheel bearings. The widest they come is 25mm.

You want 7" wide wheels with a 40mm offset or 8" wide wheels with a 35mm offset to look right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda for President

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroy View Post
    Yeah, buy wheels that fit without spacers.

Spacers are sometimes a necessary evil, but they kill wheel bearings. The widest they come is 25mm.

You want 7" wide wheels with a 40mm offset or 8" wide wheels with a 35mm offset to look right.
    I'm thinking about 17 by 8 then get 35mm offset. Idk if that will rub when I turn tho..

Based on this, you should be fine.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroy View Post
    Spacers are sometimes a necessary evil, but they kill wheel bearings.
    How? I've yet to see anyone explain how a wheel spacer is any harder on the bearing than the equivalent offset wheel.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

I have to say I've had 25mm spacers on the back of the All Trac since I got it in 06 and they were on the car when I got it. I've put over 70K miles on it and have not had to do anything to the rear wheel bearings.

May not be the norm, but that's how mine have worked.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Then the possibility exists that I am just spouting old wive's tales.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

It's all good guys I just went out and got 17x8 just need to get tires for it now

Basic physics using a lever. Spacer moves the wheel out from the lever point - the bearing. Longer lever creates more force at the other end with a given amount of weight and acceleration. Since the bearing is wide the base rocks, the lever point can move. When on the outside of the bearing, the excess force exerted on the inside of the bearing can damage the bearing.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sefiro View Post
    Basic physics using a lever. Spacer moves the wheel out from the lever point - the bearing. Longer lever creates more force at the other end with a given amount of weight and acceleration. Since the bearing is wide the base rocks, the lever point can move. When on the outside of the bearing, the excess force exerted on the inside of the bearing can damage the bearing.

Wrong as the correct offset creates the SAME LEVER.

Spacers are fine. Make sure you regularly inspect the lug studs and check the bearings like you normally do. The statement is true enough that high offsets do create longer levers, generating more radial loads on the bearings. That said, that is, literally, what the wheel bearing is designed for.
    Last edited by KoreanJoey; 06-27-2017 at 07:52 AM.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Agreed, on the correct offset. I was responding to the rumor of bearing failure. Many buy the cheap solution - adding spaces without changing the wheel/tire. They get a cheap aggressive look and a busted wheel bearing.

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The celica wheel bearings are alright. The rear do wear out if you're hard on it. I was racing on 255 slicks for a number of years and did replace a lot of wheel bearings but that's the same on pretty much any car.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by sefiro View Post
    Many buy the cheap solution - adding spaces without changing the wheel/tire. They get a cheap aggressive look and a busted wheel bearing.
    A "cheap" spacer isn't different from buying the "correct" offset wheel though. It's nice to have the same wheels/tires front and rear so rotations are easier, not to mention finding wheels with the correct offsets for the front and rear of something like a 5th gen widebody is extremely difficult.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Thread Information