CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 91 GTS system 10 deck replacement

I'm looking to replace the deck in my 91 GTS with the system 10 stereo. I don't want to have to rewire my whole system to have all the speakers working with the stock amplifier, I also don't want to have to replace the stock amplifier due to trying to keep the cost low. I read on here that theres a wire harness from Metra (70-8112) that allows the use of the stock amp on 92 and newer vehicles. However my car is a very early 91, built on 08/1990, and the post led me to believe that maybe the harness would work on later model 91s. I have the integrated cd/tape double din deck. Will that harness work? And if not what are my options? Any advise is helpful. thank you

Bad news, the 90/91 System 10 use a different plug than 92/93 so there is no cheap plug and play solution. There's a harness in the UK that runs about $60-70 shipped, it is for an MR2 and was reported to work.

There are two options:

1) Lose the door speakers and amp, you will keep the front/rear and tweeters (my 91 GTS came like this it was quite special though)
    2) Rewire the whole system (I did this one, took about 8 hours with me not working super fast or knowing my exact point of firewall entry)

Regarding option 1:
    The 90/91 has the normal two plug harness used in most Toyota vehicles so you get the normal Metra harness (70-1761) disconnect the jumper that runs to the amp/back to the radio and install like normal You could get a very small aftermarket amplifier just for the door speakers, I'm talking tiny as the doors are normally rated at like 50W each.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

I have an aftermarket amp laying around. I'm assuming to use that I'd have to run the red and white cables to the amp and speaker wires to the doors? Thanks for the reply I almost bought everything the other day thinking it would work I'm glad I didn't now.

You'd have to use some RCA cables from the head unit to the amp, depending on the speakers you're running your door you may want to use the front outputs or the sub-woofer outputs. If it's stock or some modified full range speaker, then use the front RCA out. If they are true sub-woofers then use the sub-woofer channel.

What speakers have you replaced upgraded? I know most of the factory door speakers have crumbled rubber at this point.

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

The door speakers and lower rear speakers were replaced by the previous owner shortly before I bought it last year. I'll peak under the passenger seat sometime to see what the wiring looks like. So you're saying the only speakers I'll loose are the 2 larger door speakers if I bypass the amp?

If you bypass the factory amp, and only hook up the Metra harness listed earlier, yes.

If you go a step further and stick a small amplifier to drive the door speakers, it can be really small... like 2 channel, 100W peak total.

That doesn't sound as bad as I thought. I need to look at it but I think the amp I have is a 4 channel amp so maybe I'll use that to run those and another set of speakers I have as well. I'm also looking at a sub kit on amazon since I'm going to be running wires around anyway. Unfortunately my other car is suffering from a major clutch pedal failure so I'm going to have to wait until that's sorted out. Thanks for your help I'll post how it goes and what I end up doing. Hopefully it isn't too long. I hope to start around June. Thanks again

Check out KnuKonceptz on eBay, they make amazing kits and wire.
    Last edited by METDeath; 05-05-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by METDeath View Post
    Check out KnuKonceptz on eBay, they make amazing kits and wire.
    I've got roughly what i want to do figured out I just have to get some bills in order first. I'll be ordering one of those amps kits relatively soon for my brother's car. Hopefully by the middle of summer I can follow through with my plan. I'll post an update when I get it all done. I was planning on putting the radio in myself and having cartoys deal with the amps.

Quote Originally Posted by jman91 View Post
    I've got roughly what i want to do figured out I just have to get some bills in order first. I'll be ordering one of those amps kits relatively soon for my brother's car. Hopefully by the middle of summer I can follow through with my plan. I'll post an update when I get it all done. I was planning on putting the radio in myself and having cartoys deal with the amps.
    Want a sanity check on the plan?

Want a sanity check on the plan?
    Sanity check?

Quote Originally Posted by jman91 View Post
    Sanity check?
    Verification that what you want to do will work, or is it just crazy.

Head unit: which Pioneer model are you looking at? Make sure it six outputs (Front Left/Right, Rear Left/Right, 2x sub-woofer)
    Sub Kit: can you post a link to the specific kit you're looking at? If it's the one I found you'd be better off selecting your own amps and wiring kit.

You don't have to run new wires all the way to the door, but it's "better" I soldered my speaker wires to the door speakers so I wouldn't have to take them off if the wires fell off.
    The level equalization will have to be done at the amplifier level, if you're unsure of how to best do this, you may want to find a shop that does measured amplifier level calibration.

Head unit: which Pioneer model are you looking at? Make sure it six outputs (Front Left/Right, Rear Left/Right, 2x sub-woofer)
    Sub Kit: can you post a link to the specific kit you're looking at? If it's the one I found you'd be better off selecting your own amps and wiring kit.

You don't have to run new wires all the way to the door, but it's "better" I soldered my speaker wires to the door speakers so I wouldn't have to take them off if the wires fell off.
    The level equalization will have to be done at the amplifier level, if you're unsure of how to best do this, you may want to find a shop that does measured amplifier level calibration.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A36NY6MO5E7I8U

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1DXN92KCKEQV4

When you say level equalization are you talking about the frequency adjustment? Low pass being for subs, All pass (I think is what it's called) for basic speakers and high pass for tweeters?

And I know this is the complete wrong place for this question but it has been driving me nuts since I bought my car. I've barely been getting 23mpg around town and that's being nice is that normal? I've done the fuel and air filters, o2 sensor, oil changes regularly I need to check the plugs again but they were fine last year. I rarely use the A/C as well and everything I've done has helped I just feel like it should be better is all.

Level = deciBels (perceived volume observed by the listener)
    Level equalization = making the two amplifiers output signals at the same perceived volume

On that head unit it has the correct number of outputs, it will also have a "Sub out" option that is on/off. It will typically have an adjustable low pass filter between 80 Hz & 150 Hz on Pioneer decks, the sub out will almost never be a full range output.

Your sub kit will technically work... I'd almost rather piece something together myself than buy a pre-made kit. However, I'm a bit of an audio snob (not full blown audiophile, I don't have that much money kicking around).
    The other thing to be mindful of is if you are replacing the door 8" speakers that may get you the desired amount of bass. Between my door and rear speakers I don't feel the need for a sub box... granted, I have one waiting to be installed... but I can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on actually installing it because it will eat my trunk... also probably my alternator.

Fuel economy: next time you are completely empty see if you can find ethanol free 87 (may have to hit up shell for their V-Power 91/93) and try that over the ethanol blended 87 octane.
    Last edited by METDeath; 05-29-2017 at 11:54 AM.

The speakers sound decent but the deck is just old. The buttons stick (I'm a bit particular and I hate sticky buttons) and it would be nice to have a USB input. The only reason I want to do the sub is because I have to wire in a new amp to keep the door speakers anyway and thought since I'll be in there I might as well. I just wish it was as simple as wiring in a new deck. As far as ethanol free gas goes I found a map of where they all are and it would be a pretty good drive to get some. I'll try running top tier 92 and see if that changes anything.

Biggest pro-tip I have for you are that there are several easy places to run power cable into the car on the passenger side, no drilling required, particularly if you are going to mount under the passenger seat. One thing to consider if you are going to run two amps is a single kit rated for both amplifiers that has a fused distribution block rated for each amplifier. Again, I would look at the KnuKonceptz eBay shop and go overboard on cable gauge (highest rated gauge per amplifier into a distribution block, highest rated gauge to the battery. More on this tomorrow when I'm not sleepy...

I know roughly which amp kit I want to get. I agree with you on going overboard on the wire size. I think the kit I'm looking at has 1/0 awg wire which is pretty good sized.

Yeah... 1/0 is way over kill for whatever you might be putting in there. I ran the KnuKonceptz 4 gauge kit for my Apline 5 channel (around 600W as bench tested by Alpine). It came with a 80A fuse amp only needs 60A

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

My old GTS I had I relocated the battery to the cargo area and put a small system in there (single 10" subwoofer with a 600w amp). I ran a 1/0 cable from the B+ terminal up to the engine bay and then from a distribution block to 4gauge wires for fuse box, starter and alternator. I also used a 1/0 for a ground wire in the cargo area to the shock towers. I had another small power & ground distribution block in the back for the amp and other accessories (I ran all my gauge B+ to the cargo area). If I remember I used oen of those basic off-the-shelf amp install kits with i think a 10g or 12g B+ cable. Its now installed in my truck powering the same setup. I've been using this setup for like 6 years now without problems.

#cliffnotes

1/0 is way overkill for an amp B+
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

My recommendations for continued future sound-related happiness:

Find a used (or old stock on ebay or amazon) Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit. It will do absolutely everything you could ever want sonically. It runs CD, all major music compression formats up to and including FLAC (Tested by me) has 6 outputs (Front/Rear/Sub)
    a microphone for the self tune feature (which actually gets you pretty well in the ballpark of where you should be, amazingly enough) front microSD slot, 2 inputs in rear for USB thumbdrives, AUX input (1/8" standard headphone jack) can fully control AND CHARGE an iPod.
    It has the most robust equalization and crossover system I have ever used outside of ultra high end $1,000 + head units.

This deck runs about $250 if you look around. (Retail new was about $350)

Any amplifier of your choosing with MINIMUM 4 channels. 5 channels if you REALLY want to run a single amp solution.
    Follow my write up on doing exactly what you are looking to do. There are pictures and everything.

Run the fronts off the front channel on the HU and the Amp and the rears on the rear. (sounds obvious but I mention it for a reason)
    Fronts include the tweeters which utilize a passive crossover (or choke if you will) so you only need to make the single connection to the main driver. Same applies to the rears.

My last bit of wisdom is going to sound bat-crap crazy but bear with me, ok? OK. Here we go.

Don't bother with the rear speakers.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Do not connect them at all. Period.

With the setup I described above, you WILL achieve the following:

Amazing depth of field
    fantastic sound staging
    pinpoint placement
    Sonic bliss.
    No really, I am serious. It's awesome.

So, if you choose to go that route, if you have a powerful enough 4 Channel, you can connect the fronts to the front and the Sub on the Sub channel at the deck.
    Then, you bridge the subwoofer AT THE AMP.
    Also, don't bother with the front under the dash speakers. They are made of a full 4 inches of fail and aids. Use the door drivers instead and link the tweeters to them. You will be happier.

Oh and in that part I mentioned earlier about the epic Crossovers in that deck? Yeah, you have low pass mid-low, Mid-high, and high pass. So yes, you can in fact have full band pass crossover capability from the HU. Like I said, epic level deck at a steal.

Hope this helps.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Wow there sure are a lot of options. Thanks for all the input I'll look into that deck. Hopefully I can get things situated financially soon the sticky buttons are driving me nuts. I cuss at them almost every morning lol.

You can also just replace the deck and lose the doors until funds get better. If you go double din you just need the wire harness as the primary antenna uses the same connector as is used on pretty much every aftermarket radio. You do lose the diversity antenna regardless of what route you go though.

that's honestly what I've been thinking about doing. A lot of what I'm hearing that sounds good seems to be coming from the rear speakers anyway. I really wouldn't be too upset if the antenna stopped extending I think it looks better inside the body.

I bought a deck I ended up going with a Sony WX900BT. I'm installing it now
    Last edited by jman91; 06-06-2017 at 02:16 AM.

Thread Information