CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Got all the suspension back on. Somehow got my alignment pretty dang close cause it actually drives straight without pulling to one side. I hope that these new bushings settle in and let the car drop a little bit cause right now it's like I got a suspension lift.

Rides soooo much better now. Like a whole new car.
    Went for my test drive and stopped to check on my buddy. Don't buy a skyline kids. This thing has been a nightmare and parts all ways have to come from Canada or Japan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I have honestly been watching the Skyline market.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Don't do it. Or just get a GTST. Don't get a GTR. Way too complicated with shit that breaks and is impossible to find. He needed a front wheel bearing for example. We tried for days to match one up with no luck. Had to order from Japan. Stupid little stuff like that makes the cost of ownership just insane.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I have been looking at the GTS-T Sedans. Something exotic, but low key enough that not many would notice.

But then again, that would require spending money.

And I hate spending money.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Skylines are neat, but they're a PITA to work on. Several of my friends have owned them and they're much more of a headache than even an Alltrac. If you do get one I highly suggest DIYing everything you can since nobody is gonna have a clue how to work on them for a couple years so they're just gonna screw stuff up. Maybe I'm just desensitized to JDM cars now, but if you're going to get something that doesn't have a USDM equivalent it should have something that makes it really unique or there's no point. Something like a GTST has nearly as many headaches and costs as a GTR, except it's slower and doesn't handle as well. At that point just buy a 200SX or a Soarer or something else that's kinda quick but actually has parts available over here.

Also the prices are really steep now, I'm not sure why but you gents south of the border are paying absolutely absurd amounts for JDM stuff (especially Skylines). No offense but y'all need to learn to do some research. What "importers" are charging is downright robbery. It's similar to how things were when JDM cars started coming to Canada but we had an ocean and a language in the way, you guys can just cruise Craigslist and then drive up and get it so I'm not sure what the deal is.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Images

Yeah. Screw them. Spent last night helping finish it up for first start, it's a complete rebuild. Got it all in and filling fluids well guess what. Gasket leak between the...I donno what it's even called but it's a the runners that the throttle bodies are bolted too. Well there's coolant in them and it's leaking out. So out comes the motor again.
    Me and him have actually been bringing gtr's down from Regina SK and selling them here in the states. Last one sold for $16,500 usd a few weeks ago. Prices are coming down.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

My bro up in SAC, CA. just bought a Skyline GTST. THing is tuned to perfection. No boost lag, immediate throttle response, handles like a dream. Very nice little car if you are into them.
    The real issues come as noted, when you have to replace parts or the like. Guess it helps that this one was owned by a younger police officer up in WA state who did all the requisite overhaul work on it before sale.
    Driving on the wrong-hand side is odd though. Makes it tough to place yourself in the lane properly. (At least for me)
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

I lost most of my Skyline hype the first time a saw one in person. A friend imported a 2 door R32 gtst and while it's a neat car, once you see it up close or work on it, you realize that it's just a right hand drive 240sx with a slightly different body.

Images

Went to check and adjust ignition timing and when I grabbed the distributor to turn it I got the piss shocked out of me. So that fucker came right out. I donno how it shocked me I was figuring there would be a crack in the cap, but there wasn't. Well I noticed it is leaking oil internally anyways so I went to twosrus to order a seal it. Seal kit, new cap and rotor in my cart when I saw they had a complete new distributor for $100 so I bought that instead.

Then I figured I should check the mechanical timing and timing belt. The belt seemed fine, but it was some weird brand that sounded cheap so I replaced it for funzies. Noticed someone has replaced the oil pump while I was in there, so that's nice I guess. Surprising easy to work on. Took like 2 hours to swap belts. Everything just feels like a miniature version of a 3S.

Speaker order came in. Nothing crazy just new replacements for the OEM's and a slim powered 8" sub. I put one of these in my 4runner and it actually does really well for what it is. I had hoped it would fit under the seat like the oem one did, but I never measured cause I'm lazy and there's no way in hell it's going under the seat. I REALLY don't wanna put it behind the seat and loose the ability to store my T tops in their factory storage place. So I donno. I tried putting it up on the rear wall where the storage cubby is but it still messes with T top storage. So I donno. I'll figure it out.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

My brothers AW11 came with an all-in-one sub setup like that mounted just in front of the passenger seat base, with the floor mat adjusted a bit to go over it. It worked pretty well since your legs don't need that space at all.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Images

Hmm. I'll look at that tonight may just be ok

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

That or free air mount it where the glove box should be?

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Images

I think it's just a little too big for in front of the passenger seat, people would be stepping on it getting in. I think I've found a solution though. The rear wall behind the seats has really thick sound insulation under the carpet, maybe 3" but I didn't measure. Im'a see if I can cut out an area of the insulation to fit the unit into then it'll be hidden and out of the way.
    Last edited by CollapsedNut; 04-27-2017 at 03:09 AM.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Don't hack up the carpet man, you will regret it later. Leave it intact and find a better solution. Maybe just return that particular powered sub and get a custom enclosure made for your car? It will cost more, but it will be perfect.
    Having to find replacement oem carpets and interior parts for 30 y/o cars gets tough pricey or impossible depending, so learn from the mistakes of your Fore-Fogies.
    - Mario

Questions?

Images

Well I'm not actually gonna cut the carpet, just the insulation behind it. I was gonna keep the carpet covering it so you wouldn't know it was back there. I could build my own box if I had any idea of where to put one. Really can't mess with the area behind the seats if you wanna keep the ability to store the t tops. I've seen some guys put it on the rear wall between the seats but then you have a sub directly in your ear...like....no thanks.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Images

Got my cat delete pipe in from TechnoToy. It was actually cheaper to buy this piece made than to buy flanges and make my own. I was thinking my cat was getting plugged but once I took it off I found someone had all ready gutted it. So I really didn't need this piece but I figure I all ready have it so might as well use it.

New distributor came in today so I put that in. Still have a random little miss and running super rich but the plugs still look new after 120 miles so I can't tell anything yet.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Did you read your plugs? Lots of valuable info there, and a place to start at least.

I wouldn't mess with the insulation. The really thick stuff like that is pricey to replace and again, letting the car interior remain intact etc.
    Marshalls' idea to make a small(ish) enclosure to go up in the footwell/glovebox area is a really solid one for a few reasons, imaging will be much easier and it need not take up much space at all, leaving passengers to sit comfortably.
    It doesn't have to be anything fancy like glasswork or the like. A simple MDF enclosure will do great there and is easily matched with the OE carpet so that it isn't obtrusive looking.
    Lots of modeling programs for calculating the enclosure volume as well as any poly-fill you may need.
    That way you get to keep your stock T-top storage and still have some nice tunes.
    - Mario

Questions?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CollapsedNut View Post
    Still have a random little miss and running super rich but the plugs still look new after 120 miles so I can't tell anything yet.
    Checked the plugs bud

I just don't think in the passenger area is a good idea either. But in reality how often do I have a passenger...like never. Gotta have friends to have passengers. I'll take a long hard look at it.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

How much room do you have back there? In my MK2 I have room behind the seats to put some small 8 inch truck sub boxes. It sounds pretty good.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Images

If I put anything behind the seats, I can't store t tops. ANYTHING

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Images

For those not familiar with AW11 passenger area.

There's not much room up there to build into, though it could be done. Something I don't admit much is I'm good at carpentry. Grew up doing it. But when you let people know that ou know how to do something the ask you for favors... Like tonight was spent working on that Skyline again. So I could build an enclosure up in that area but the passenger will loose some foot space. I laid that all in one deal up against the center tunnel and it might be ok there. Passenger will just have to shift over a little. What I like about this though is I can easily remove it when needed.

I really need seats on another topic. I'm thinking this interior is gonna stay classy with a more modern feel. Im having the dash redone with the flat charcoal vinyl of the center console pad and the door cards too. But the seats are tricky. She told me it would be about $400 per seat. Ouch. That's a lot of dough to redo a factory seat. So Ima try to figure out something else I can do that's not "racing" buckets.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

since you have ability to weld, the junkyard can be a good place to source oem quality seats from a number of manufactures. VW uses recaro a lot for oem seat design

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

Images

Quote Originally Posted by donteatbugs View Post
    since you have ability to weld, the junkyard can be a good place to source oem quality seats from a number of manufactures. VW uses recaro a lot for oem seat design
    Yeah maybe if I drive to ANOTHER STATE I could go to a junkyard. I hate ND.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Images

Put my fixed up trim piece back on. I'm actually amazed how good it turned out. You can still see a slight ridge where it was broken in half, but only if you are looking for it. The paint even matches.

Messed around yesterday for a little bit after work. I was back probing at ECU trying to see if I have a sensor issue causing me to run super rich when I found that the ECU was getting no battery constant. Started tracing and found at a chassis connector the pins for ecu constant were completely and totally corroded away. So that makes sense, every start was like a fresh wipe on the ECU. We'll see if I get any codes stored now that I fixed that.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Don't you just love old cars?

Glad you were able to find the issue though.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Thread Information