CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I hate cleaning cars. Hate. But big car show tomorrow so I figured I would.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

So I've been chasing an issue for a few days. Once warm I'm loosing rpm signal to the ECU. I tested wiring from the distributor to the ECU and found no issues. I figured maybe it was the pickup in the new distributor I got so I swapped the electronics from my old distributor into the new one, issue unresolved. Took the ECU apart and checked for fried circuits and capacitors, all good. So that leaves the igniter. The pickup in the distributor creates an AC voltage that the igniter turns into a DC square wave that the ECU reads. I'm hoping my friends AE82 uses the same igniter so I can swap and see before buying one.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Images

This running issue is really stumping me. Mainly because I have a perfectly fine tachometer UNTIL the engine hits operating temp. The second it gets to temp the idle stumbles then climbs to 1200 and the check engine light comes on. After that the tach needle bounces around and if you goose the throttle it will die. Code is always 6.

You'd think that if I had a bad tach signal from the igniter to the ECU it would be there all the time and the needle would never be consistent, or only once the igniter gets hot and I refuse to believe the igniter starts acting up at the same exact time the coolant gets to 180 degrees. So...I'm starting to think it's more ECU related. This weekend I'll sit down and check all the resistors, diodes, and capacitors in the ECU which is about all I can do. Maybe I'll find something.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

What happens if you unplug the coolant temp sensor after the issues appears?

It may be crazy but could it possibly be the sensor is freaking out the ECU somehow?

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Images

Fixed my AC today. Kinda. It's still an r12 system and needs to be converted properly but I figured why not see what it'll do. Pulled vacuum and it was leaking down. Decided to put a pound of r134 in and see how many leaks I could find. Well I only found one, so I fixed it. Pulled vacuum again and it held. Put in an undisclosed amount of r134 and it's working! Yay cold air. I expect the compressor to go out soon but we'll see how long it lasts.

Also got my little powered sub installed. It's actually a little more powerful than I was shooting for and I could probably get a smaller unit but it's in there now.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Images

New rear toe rods from Matrix Garage came today and I put them on tonight. Didn't even take an hour. Excellent product for general OEM replacement.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Regarding your odd running behavior.

Have you pulled out your ECU and opened it up? I can almost guarantee your capacitors are dead. Im dealing with this sort of shit on my MR2 right now.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luni View Post
    Regarding your odd running behavior.

Have you pulled out your ECU and opened it up? I can almost guarantee your capacitors are dead. Im dealing with this sort of shit on my MR2 right now.
    That's the first thing I did. Had to replace one in the 3sgte ECU in MH plus hearing of yours awhile ago. Couldn't find anything wrong. Right now it's been running fine, no issue in over a week with maybe 40-50 miles. So I donno.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Images

Did some window tint today. I was just gonna do the t tops because the glare kills me but I decided I needed a windshield strip and to redo the old tinted windows. I have bad eyes and can't drive at night much due to other vehicles lights blinding me, so I made my windshield strip go much lower than "allowed" to hopefully help with that. Law enforcement in my area tends not to bother with tint tickets unless they pull you over for something else. Follow the rule of only breaking one law at a time and you're usually good.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I kinda want to vinyl my t tops on the terrible 2. Probably white to match the car

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

Images

Quote Originally Posted by donteatbugs View Post
    I kinda want to vinyl my t tops on the terrible 2. Probably white to match the car
    Do it.

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Images

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Great work, keep us posted! I'm really interested in seeing progress threads, they've always amazed me

You should just replace the caps. Or acquire a spare ECU and swap the caps out on that one and see.

There is no way any of the capacitors in any of our old ECUs are up to the original specs / snuff.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Thread Information