CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default [3S-GE] Have to change my clutch kit, want a lighter flywheel... a bit lost after my searches.

    Hello,

    Recently, I encountered difficulties to use my manual gearbox (S54). After 218 000 km in 22 years, time has come to change drivetrain parts, such as clutch kit for the first time.

    I already ordered new master and slave cylinder.

    Could you help me to confirm what I found on the net ?

    1 - Is this theory good in my case ? :

    pressure plate (3S-GTE) + clutch disk (5S-FE) [20 splines] + bearing (5S-FE or 3S-GE) + flywheel (3S-GTE)

    2 - Regarding aftermarket parts, can I mix an ACT Clutch kit with a Fidanza flywheel ? Or is it better to put only ACT parts ?

    If you have any advice or link to information, I'm of course interested.

    Benjamin

    Celica GT ST202 - 1995

  2. #2
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    tucson
    Posts
    1,268
    Images
    11

    Default

    No sure about question number 1. I'm sure someone else will know. But for question number 2 its totally fine to have different brand flywheel and clutch/ pressure plate. Only the clutch and pressure plate need to be from the same kit.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    --------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

  3. #3
    Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackpegaz View Post
    1 - Is this theory good in my case ? :

    pressure plate (3S-GTE) + clutch disk (5S-FE) [20 splines] + bearing (5S-FE or 3S-GE) + flywheel (3S-GTE)

    2 - Regarding aftermarket parts, can I mix an ACT Clutch kit with a Fidanza flywheel ? Or is it better to put only ACT parts ?
    Hi Ben, Welcome to CTech!

    Maybe its a dumb question, but why not just order a proper 3SGE clutch kit? The only reason guys in the US need to piece together clutch kits is because the 3SGE was never available here.

    However, if you insist on piecing together a kit, you are correct, 3S Flywheel, PP, TO Bearing; 5S Clutch disk.

    Just an honest opinion here, but I would stay away from the ACT HD Press. Plate. I had one in my 91 alltrac and hated it. We put a stage 1 Exedy in my wife's 88 alltrac and the pedal feels so much better.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

    '88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Hookecho
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodMoney View Post
    Hi Ben, Welcome to CTech!

    Maybe its a dumb question, but why not just order a proper 3SGE clutch kit? The only reason guys in the US need to piece together clutch kits is because the 3SGE was never available here.

    However, if you insist on piecing together a kit, you are correct, 3S Flywheel, PP, TO Bearing; 5S Clutch disk.

    Just an honest opinion here, but I would stay away from the ACT HD Press. Plate. I had one in my 91 alltrac and hated it. We put a stage 1 Exedy in my wife's 88 alltrac and the pedal feels so much better.
    Hi bloodmoney and celica91gts,

    Drivetrain parts for ST202 are limited to OEM parts in France (clutch kit from 80 to 130 dollars). Upgraded parts can be found on UK site like fensport.co.uk but It's not really cheaper (than US) and feedbacks are rare.

    Since I purchased the car, I tried to replace "tired parts" by better parts (Tein coilovers, Mishimoto radiator, whiteline front sway bar...). Car condition is not perfect (also because it's a daily), but I really like to drive it and I want to keep it.

    For example, if you say me that an Exedy OEM clutch kit is equal to an ACT, I would buy one.

    It's more a question of emotion and feeling, than "simply" to put a new part.

    Regarding flywheel, I read some posts where people talked about issues when assembling fidanza and aftermarket pressure plate...

    Thank you

    Ben

  5. #5
    Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,152

    Default

    Ah. I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up.

    One of the things you can do, is call the clutch company directly to see if you can do a custom kit.

    There are quite a few guys that like South Bend Clutch. Most reviews are that they are very accommodating with piecing clutch kits together. Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with them, so I cannot give a 100% firm suggestion to go there.

    I do, however, have had no complaints with the Exedy clutches that I've had in my cars. Maybe find an Exedy distributor close to you and give them a call to see if they can put together a custom kit for you?
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

    '88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Hookecho
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  6. #6
    Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Why are you replacing the flywheel? Unless you want a lightweight one for whatever reason, just get your OEM one machined.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Why are you replacing the flywheel? Unless you want a lightweight one for whatever reason, just get your OEM one machined.
    I want a lightweight flywheel. I ordered a Fidanza unit.

    Quote Originally Posted by bloodMoney View Post
    There are quite a few guys that like South Bend Clutch. Most reviews are that they are very accommodating with piecing clutch kits together. Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with them, so I cannot give a 100% firm suggestion to go there.
    Thank you for advice and information.

    In fact, Southbendclutch uses geoip to block access from countries like France
    I saw their products by using a VPN. It's always interesting.

    To begin, I will try the new flywheel with a 3S-GE Exedy OEM clutch kit.
    Last edited by Blackpegaz; 03-16-2017 at 10:37 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    I'm running a TRD sports disc and cover with a lightweight Jun flywheel in my ST202 3S-GE, just remember to use the Toyota throw out bearing

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Žusty View Post
    I'm running a TRD sports disc and cover with a lightweight Jun flywheel in my ST202 3S-GE, just remember to use the Toyota throw out bearing
    Do you like this setup ?

    Regarding Toyota throw out bearing, a friend gave me the same advice ("anormal noise with an aftermarket unit").

  10. #10
    Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackpegaz View Post
    Do you like this setup ?

    Regarding Toyota throw out bearing, a friend gave me the same advice ("anormal noise with an aftermarket unit").
    That is very sound advice. The 3rd clutch failure in my 204 was due to an aftermarket bearing failure.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

    '88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Hookecho
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  11. #11

    Default

    Yes setup feels great, very sporty feeling

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  12. #12

    Default

    I found the reason of my problems...

    New parts will be installed after a cleaning step.

  13. #13
    I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    7,496
    Images
    85

    Default

    Yup. Done that one before.

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Top Member List Chat Forum Search Contact Top