CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cold air box how to?

So what does one use for walls and edge seals? I imagine the walls must have an insulator quality to be effective. Yet be easy to cut to fit? Thanks
    69 Mustang coupe 351W edelbrock performer top end, 89 Mustang GT TF top end BBK SSI intake, 90 All Trac JDM 92 swap! "Fiery the angels rose...Deep thunder rolld' around their shores. Indignant, burning with the fires of Orc."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

On mine, I used sheet aluminum. I had measured the temp difference with simply that and it was incredibly effective. Just be sure to find a way to duct in cool external air. I had an aluminum lid bolted on top...well, with a carbon fibre overlay to make it look nice. How are you thinking of building yours?
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Thanks. I didn't have the enclosed box w lid concept on my mind yet. For some reason I was thinking the hard way with foam sealing when the hood is closed which is bonkers.

Well the previous (idiot) owner took out the stock airbox and just slapped a universal cone filter on under the hood. I tried installing a factory air box I traded for but then it wouldn't start which makes no sense at all. So anyway to make room I am going to relocate the battery to the trunk and fashion a box around the cone filter. Connecting out somehow through the radiator support.

I also have a WTA inter cooler to install this summer. If it fits. Its already been modified to fit on a Gen 4 and looks pretty close.
    69 Mustang coupe 351W edelbrock performer top end, 89 Mustang GT TF top end BBK SSI intake, 90 All Trac JDM 92 swap! "Fiery the angels rose...Deep thunder rolld' around their shores. Indignant, burning with the fires of Orc."

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    On mine, I used sheet aluminum. I had measured the temp difference with simply that and it was incredibly effective. Just be sure to find a way to duct in cool external air. I had an aluminum lid bolted on top...well, with a carbon fibre overlay to make it look nice. How are you thinking of building yours?
    I think you should share a few more pictures of your setup so I can replicate it for my ST165

Quote Originally Posted by 90ToyAllTrac View Post
    Thanks. I didn't have the enclosed box w lid concept on my mind yet. For some reason I was thinking the hard way with foam sealing when the hood is closed which is bonkers.

Well the previous (idiot) owner took out the stock airbox and just slapped a universal cone filter on under the hood. I tried installing a factory air box I traded for but then it wouldn't start which makes no sense at all. So anyway to make room I am going to relocate the battery to the trunk and fashion a box around the cone filter. Connecting out somehow through the radiator support.

I also have a WTA inter cooler to install this summer. If it fits. Its already been modified to fit on a Gen 4 and looks pretty close.
    I attempted to fit the stock airbox on the gen3 swap but that was a no go so I stuck with the HKS cone filter for now. Underhood temps are insane after some spirited driving and I'm sure I'm pulling hot air. I think I'm going to try to go with the smaller Odyssey battery instead of relocation though.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zaluss View Post
    I think you should share a few more pictures of your setup so I can replicate it for my ST165
    I probably could - it's all out of the car now though and may not go back in, at least in its present form. But I could at least show where I used as mounting points and how I did it and such.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    I probably could - it's all out of the car now though and may not go back in, at least in its present form. But I could at least show where I used as mounting points and how I did it and such.
    That would be awesome! Some measurements too would be cool Or if its not going back in and you would be willing to sell it...

Images

I might be willing to. I think with my new setup it is going to be tricky to make work. Now running a 4" intake instead of 3", and want to run a big filter.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Sounds good. Let me know either way.

Quote Originally Posted by 90ToyAllTrac View Post
    Quick question, are you swapping in a Gen 4 engine? If so, with WTA intercooler are you using and how is it modified? I'm working on getting my funds together to this swap and really want to keep my 205 WTA setup.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I'm doing an aftermarket WTA unit on mine using a cobra pump and core.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

That maybe what I end up doing Tim when I finally get the cash to get the engine.

I've got a Cobra heat exchanger and the Bosch pump that goes with it.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Thread Information