CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 79
  1. #51
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Here i am

    For now i've driven for about 100 miles.

    Everything looks good, engine's answer is always very quick at low, medium or high regimes.

    The Japspeed exhaust makes a beautiful sound.

    No leaks.

    The only thing i've noticed.... when i drive in the traffic, the cooling fan comes on every 5 minutes. When i stop the engine and i put one hand on the hood, i feel very very very warm coming from the engine bay.

    Is the 3SGTE so hot in your Celicas?

    Have a nice week


    Some pic of my AT








  2. #52
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boulder Creek, California
    Posts
    2,834
    Images
    50

    Default

    If you want to bring the temps down, get a heat shield for the turbine housing and wrap the exhaust until it exits the engine bay.



    Also cover the exhaust/engine facing surfaces of the intake/ic with mylar tape where you can.



    Make sure you have a good seal around your radiator that forces air through the core. Use weatherstripping and silicone where required. Good seal > a little lost surface area. Make sure fan shrouding is well sealed to the core in the same manner.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

  3. #53

    Default

    Would it be hot since you have a tmic and an RC hood??

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    Project Ava
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  4. #54
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrWOT View Post
    If you want to bring the temps down, get a heat shield for the turbine housing and wrap the exhaust until it exits the engine bay.



    Also cover the exhaust/engine facing surfaces of the intake/ic with mylar tape where you can.



    Make sure you have a good seal around your radiator that forces air through the core. Use weatherstripping and silicone where required. Good seal > a little lost surface area. Make sure fan shrouding is well sealed to the core in the same manner.
    Thank you for your tips

    I noticed that there're two types of heat shield, one adhesive and one non-adhesive sold with ties. Which is better in your opinion?

    Thank you again

  5. #55
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pintoBC_3sgte View Post
    Would it be hot since you have a tmic and an RC hood??
    You're right, but i did not imagine that it would be so hot with that hood.

    I'm taking a look around for a slim IC fan....

  6. #56
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boulder Creek, California
    Posts
    2,834
    Images
    50

    Default

    It gets hot. An RC hood isn't going to save you from traffic heatsoak.

    https://www.designengineering.com/ca...ials/cool-tape

    That's the kind of thing you want on the engine/exhaust facing intake surfaces, adhesive backed.

    The turbo/exhaust wrap is not adhesive, use steel strapping to hold on. Similar to http://www.designengineering.com/cat...insulation-kit

    Brand isn't specific, that one just came to mind because it's easily accessible to me.

    I use mylar tape from the local hardware store in place of the DEI stuff unless needed (look in the section they keep insulation), the adhesive on the DEI stuff is rated higher.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

  7. #57
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrWOT View Post
    It gets hot. An RC hood isn't going to save you from traffic heatsoak.

    https://www.designengineering.com/ca...ials/cool-tape

    That's the kind of thing you want on the engine/exhaust facing intake surfaces, adhesive backed.

    The turbo/exhaust wrap is not adhesive, use steel strapping to hold on. Similar to http://www.designengineering.com/cat...insulation-kit

    Brand isn't specific, that one just came to mind because it's easily accessible to me.

    I use mylar tape from the local hardware store in place of the DEI stuff unless needed (look in the section they keep insulation), the adhesive on the DEI stuff is rated higher.
    Ok.

    Sorry for the stupid question, but...what should i have to cover with mylar tape?

    That two areas in the red circles?



    Thank you

  8. #58
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    I've replaced the original AT hood




    I have also ordered a turbo/exhaust wrap roll. It should arrive in a week.

  9. #59

    Default

    Nice! Looks good

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    Project Ava
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  10. #60
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Downpipe wrapped



  11. #61

    Default

    That looks really good. Nice job.
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  12. #62
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Thank you

  13. #63
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    This morning i brought the car to the wheels shop for wheels alignment



    When i turn off the engine and remove the key, the fuel indicator remains active...is it normal on the american celicas or there's something wrong somewhere?


  14. #64

    Default

    I was going to say no but I found a picture of the All Trac's dash with the engine off and the fuel gauge was sitting around 3/4 of a tank so I would say you're OK.
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

  15. #65

    Default

    An RC hood with an air-to-air intercooler? Just think of what is going on with that setup. An ST185 does run with a lot of heat under the hood (that’s why the alternator has an air intake duct on it). But the RC hood with an air-to-air intercooler adds to the problem. Consider the air dynamics with that setup.

  16. #66
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
    An RC hood with an air-to-air intercooler? Just think of what is going on with that setup. An ST185 does run with a lot of heat under the hood (that’s why the alternator has an air intake duct on it). But the RC hood with an air-to-air intercooler adds to the problem. Consider the air dynamics with that setup.
    For this reason i've changed hood and replaced the original one

  17. #67

    Default

    When I rebuilt my 3SGTE, the previous owner had removed the heat shield and put an aftermarket downpipe in place of the stock cat converter.
    While everything was apart for the rebuilt, I took the turbo turbine section, exhaust manifold and downpipe for ceramic coating. Put in a aftermarket cat after the downpipe and
    underhood temp was much cooler than a stock setup. Noise is down and New rad helps with cooling. The fan does come on every 5 min or so in hot weather.

    Cheers.

  18. #68
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cjack View Post
    When I rebuilt my 3SGTE, the previous owner had removed the heat shield and put an aftermarket downpipe in place of the stock cat converter.
    While everything was apart for the rebuilt, I took the turbo turbine section, exhaust manifold and downpipe for ceramic coating. Put in a aftermarket cat after the downpipe and
    underhood temp was much cooler than a stock setup. Noise is down and New rad helps with cooling. The fan does come on every 5 min or so in hot weather.

    Cheers.
    Hi

    Thank you for your tip.

    Why did you decide to install an aftermarket cat?

  19. #69

    Default

    I install the aftermarket cat for 3 reason. One is to get rid of that smell of no cat. Second is to stop the blue smoke from Idle and third is to lower the noise level. Where I live, there is a bylaw for being too noisy for car muffler. Cops have DB meter that measure SPL.

  20. #70
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Here in Italy cops doesn't have the DB meter, but if they suspect your muffler is doing too much noise, they're allowed to send your car at the local test centre (don't know the exact english for this), in addition to a road fine.

  21. #71
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    On saturday i made the first highway test, i made about 340km (210 miles)

    Average speed of 100/110 km/h (60/70 mph) with a stop of about one hour.

    Everything worked good, good progression of the engine, but i still have a high idle problem.

    Often, not always, the rpms (with engine in temperature) are about 1000/1100. I knew that rpms should be 800/900, right?

    Any ideas or tips on what can i check first?

    Thank you

  22. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cjack View Post
    I install the aftermarket cat for 3 reason. One is to get rid of that smell of no cat. Second is to stop the blue smoke from Idle and third is to lower the noise level. Where I live, there is a bylaw for being too noisy for car muffler. Cops have DB meter that measure SPL.
    We will be working on buddy's 3SGTE right after we finished installing the new filter and fass fuel system on the current truck project. What brand of cat did you go with? He definitely needs a low noise in the quiet neighborhood.

  23. #73
    Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Genova - Italy
    Posts
    79

    Default

    This is my rpms idle.

    They are almost always above 1000 rpm, like the photo.

    Where could i investigate first?

    Thank you







  24. #74
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boulder Creek, California
    Posts
    2,834
    Images
    50

    Default

    Check for vacuum leaks
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

  25. #75
    I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    7,504
    Images
    85

    Default

    Adjust the idle air control screw?

    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

    OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Top Member List Chat Forum Search Contact Top