CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Junior Member Il_Barone is on a distinguished road

Default Gen2 3SGTE Rebuilding

Here i am again

I've been away for a long time because my engine (1991 gen2 3sgte) cracked near the water pump and i had to save money for the repair work.

I found an used gen2 block in good conditions, and i bought all the necessary for the resuscitation of my All Trac.

My setup is:

Gen2 head with Gen3 camshafts
    Gen2 block with:
    - Cometic steel head gasket (thick as the original stock)
    - CP pistons (86,5mm diameter)
    - Eagle rods
    - ACL complete bearing set
    - Stainless Steel exhaust system
    - Crankshaft and flywheel balanced

I'd like to keep the original ECU. What is your opinion about?

Here there are some pics of the old and new engine:

Thank you for your help

Daniele

Hello

I'm looking for the spark plugs.

I can't find the stock spark plugs (Denso PK20R8), can you recommend an alternative solution?

Thank you

Daniele
    Last edited by Il_Barone; 09-16-2016 at 09:02 AM.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Get a set of BKR7E plugs (NGK).
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thgenceli View Post
    Get a set of BKR7E plugs (NGK).
    I found a pdf bgb and the spark plugs recommended from Toyota are:

Denso PK20R8
    NGK BKR6EP8

The BKR7E are colder than the other two? Any other differences?

Thank you

I forget the exact difference, I think you're right in that it is a colder plug.

It is the one that gets recommended a lot for the 3SGTE.

I don't see any reason with what you've done that you can't keep your original ECU if you still have the Gen 2 sensors and AFM. You won't see the full benefit of the cams but other than that there shouldn't be any issues.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Alltrac View Post
    I forget the exact difference, I think you're right in that it is a colder plug.

It is the one that gets recommended a lot for the 3SGTE.

I don't see any reason with what you've done that you can't keep your original ECU if you still have the Gen 2 sensors and AFM. You won't see the full benefit of the cams but other than that there shouldn't be any issues.
    Thank you, i didn't know that the BKR7E are recommended for the 3SGTE

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

If you use the original computer with that you're really going to limit yourself. I'd throw a nice megasquirt setup on that.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

Quote Originally Posted by MrWOT View Post
    If you use the original computer with that you're really going to limit yourself. I'd throw a nice megasquirt setup on that.
    I know, but i have a limited budget.

Maybe one day....

What advantages powerwise will a Megasquirt bring on this type of setup? Just curious, I have a build with similar components underway. I know the MAF can be eliminated...

1990 Celica AllTrac - - - 1993 Celica ST

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The NGK BK6RE plugs are similar to the OEM Denso plugs (spec'd out the same at least). The 7's are a bit colder plug. If you're looking to stock boost levels the 6REs would work. Any higher compression or higher boost levels you'll want a colder plug. On my gen4 3sgte I ran it on a pair of stockish plugs while running through the break-in after a rebuild. I then switched out to the 7re plugs and on the same boost level noticed a huge difference. I was running around 15lbs boost consistently and had no issues (after sorting out non-related problems lol).
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Quote Originally Posted by 4thgenceli View Post
    The NGK BK6RE plugs are similar to the OEM Denso plugs (spec'd out the same at least). The 7's are a bit colder plug. If you're looking to stock boost levels the 6REs would work. Any higher compression or higher boost levels you'll want a colder plug. On my gen4 3sgte I ran it on a pair of stockish plugs while running through the break-in after a rebuild. I then switched out to the 7re plugs and on the same boost level noticed a huge difference. I was running around 15lbs boost consistently and had no issues (after sorting out non-related problems lol).
    Thank you

If you like, I always recommend the NGK Iridium plugs. You will want the BKR6EIX for stock heat range or BKR7EIX for one step colder.
    If you are using Gen3 cams, while it is true the ecu won't do anything for you in relation to them, you can adjust the exhaust cam 6 degrees and make some added power. Perhaps Luni will chime in to confirm that it is correct to retard it by 6deg.

Getting a bit of additional power, I would recommend a boost controller. Preferably an electronic type. I have always been partial to my Apex-i AVCR. Others like the older Greddy Profec-B. I prefer the AVCR because it has a digital readout and you can see easily what you are doing with no guess work.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlife25 View Post
    If you like, I always recommend the NGK Iridium plugs. You will want the BKR6EIX for stock heat range or BKR7EIX for one step colder.
    If you are using Gen3 cams, while it is true the ecu won't do anything for you in relation to them, you can adjust the exhaust cam 6 degrees and make some added power. Perhaps Luni will chime in to confirm that it is correct to retard it by 6deg.

Getting a bit of additional power, I would recommend a boost controller. Preferably an electronic type. I have always been partial to my Apex-i AVCR. Others like the older Greddy Profec-B. I prefer the AVCR because it has a digital readout and you can see easily what you are doing with no guess work.
    Thank you

Regarding the additional power, i have a gen2 block, and i am always very fearful of a possible crack
    Last edited by Il_Barone; 09-21-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlife25 View Post

Late to the party.

Gen3 exhaust cam and Gen2 exhaust cam are same thing except Gen3 is already retarded ~4.5 degrees. So, if youre running Gen3 cams, straight up, youre -4.5 degrees exhaust and +2 intake from where Gen2 cams are.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Quote Originally Posted by Luni View Post
    Late to the party.

Gen3 exhaust cam and Gen2 exhaust cam are same thing except Gen3 is already retarded ~4.5 degrees. So, if youre running Gen3 cams, straight up, youre -4.5 degrees exhaust and +2 intake from where Gen2 cams are.
    Thank you

Almost ready...

Spark plugs arrived this morning

Hello everybody

Unfortunately the engine work has stopped. I'm out of town for work and i'll be back after Christmas.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask you a question: do you think that 9 is a good compression ratio?

Some friends of mine told me that it's too high....

I wish you a good weekend (here in Italy is holiday on December 8)

Daniele

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of

Images

What octane fuel is available and goal? Sticking with CT26 with at least 91 available, no problem @ 9:1
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

What octane fuel is available and goal? Sticking with CT26 with at least 91 available, no problem @ 9:1
    Hi

Here in Italy i can choose between 95 and 100 octane fuel.

Yes, i'll keep the CT26.

Images

As long as that number is (RON+MON)/2 you're more than okay. CT26 only blows hot air over 16-17psi. Will be perfectly fine @ 9:1 on that kind of octane. Don't see your intercooler anywhere? Would invest in 185RC or 205 WTA top mount.

As long as that number is (RON+MON)/2 you're more than okay. CT26 only blows hot air over 16-17psi. Will be perfectly fine @ 9:1 on that kind of octane. Don't see your intercooler anywhere? Would invest in 185RC or 205 WTA top mount.
    I have a limited budget, so i'll keep the original IC for now.

What do you think about all those front mount IC kits i see on ebay?

The piping or the intercoolers as well? The intercoolers do the job but the end tanks tend to be small compared with higher quality options. The piping isn't 'plug and play' from what I've heard and requires some custom fitting depending on your route you choose. I plan on getting my piping kit there and then sourcing a better intercooler.

1990 Celica AllTrac - - - 1993 Celica ST

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    The piping or the intercoolers as well?
    Both

Images

Nothing good about the factory systems at this point. No way in hell the air meter calibration is good, it's bad even in the remans I've seen. If it's never going to see a different turbo, stock and deal with the meter somehow.

Thread Information