CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default ST185 - Clunking Noise from Rear

Within the next day or two, I will be looking at one of the ST185's regarding a clunking sound coming from the rear. Looking for typical causes for such a sound.

The rear suspension in 100% original, nothing ever changed (except a rear differential mount replaced a couple months ago, was a Toyota OEM replacement mount).

I'm thinking sway bar bushings (and I know how to check if the originals are worn/hard/have bar movement within the bushing). Others are saying the rear strut mounts (can't say I ever had a rear strut mount go bad on an AT180 or ST184 previously). Yet others are saying rear sway bar links. I'm hoping it is not a rear strut (as Toyota no longer stocks the rear passenger side strut).

Any thoughts from this experienced group of folks on ST185's would be greatly appreciated.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

My money is on rear differential mount. If it's not been touched it likely looks like this:

1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[QUOTE=ChrisD;30252618]My money is on rear differential mount. If it's not been touched it likely looks like this:

Thanks for the quick response. However, I did say in the opening that the only change made in the rear was a new rear differential mount installation a couple months ago (OEM Toyota), as it previously clunked with shifting or when changing throttle position. That noise is now gone. So that is not the problem area.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I'd say just get under there and start pushing & pulling to see what moves.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Sorry I guess I skimmed that. When does it clunk? Could also be as simple as the exhaust hitting in certain conditions. Had one local person here find her other 2 main diff mounts go this past weekend (ones near the top in this image):

Otherwise yes, best bet is to go under, and start seeing what moves.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Now that's a good point (bushings for the rear differential). The sound has more to do with the rear wheels when the go over a road bump. I'm thinking the issue is in the suspension, not in the differential area (that area does not see wheel forces when going over bumps, just torsional forces. But I will make sure I take a good look at the differential bushings in your pic though - I could be mistaken on my assumptions. Will be checking this out tomorrow and will let you know what I find out.

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

I would guess that the issue lies in the end links. if a bushing were going bad, it would start to effect drivability as the rear end would want to wander around when driving.
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

The diff bushings are separate from the 4 big subframe bushes. If the clunk is from on/off throttle in lower gears and not bumps, it is the diff mounts, or diff itself (or driveshaft)

Mine makes some clunky noises as well. In my case it is the rear suspension. All original equipment on a car that has been daily driven it's entire life...
    Thankfully my rear diff mount is in good shape still.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

I did my inspection. I am 75% sure the noise I am hearing is from the rear sway bar bushings. The one on the passenger side is particularly loose and the sway bar moves up & down within the bushing a bit, making a noise on each end. The drive side does too, but to a lesser extent. Those look easy to replace, so I will start with that.

I also found that both rear axle carrier sub-assemblies move slightly (allowing the wheel to move slightly horizontally), more so on the driver side than passenger side. Looks like the bushings in the rear axle carrier sub-assemblies are allowing this small movement. I don't see where there are Toyota replacement bushings available separately for these carrier sub-assemblies to press out old and press in new. Looks like the only option is completely new carrier sub-assemblies. I will have to go to a suspension shop to see if the movement is considered significant or if it is within the normal tolerance for these cars. If these need to ne replacement, I probably will go with new rear struts & boots at the same time also. Right now I'm thinking his movement is slight and within acceptable tolerance limits.

Thoughts from anyone who has had similar bushing wear issues on the rear axle carrier sub-assemblies?

You mean the little spherical bearings for the lower controls arms (not track arm) on the when assembly side?

The rear axle carrier sub-assembly is the part that contains the wheel bearings. The bushings are pressed into housings built into the rear axle carrier sub-assembly. The links you described are attached to these bushings. The links don't house the bushings, the rear axle carrier sub-assembly houses the bushings.

Yeah - the spherical bearings that are in the wheel assembly. See this link:

http://www.planetcampbell.us/Spheric...placement.html

Quote Originally Posted by Funkycheeze View Post
    Yeah - the spherical bearings that are in the wheel assembly. See this link:

http://www.planetcampbell.us/Spheric...placement.html
    Yup, that is it. I looked up the Toyota part number, and this part was only shown to be used on 1987-1992 MY Supra's (rear wheel drive) and 1987-1991 MY Camry's (Japan market, has rear wheel drive, I'll assume to be an All-Trac Camry). These don't show up for ST185's, but the Camry exploded view is the same geometry, just differing part numbers. So these 42210-14010 P/N's will fit an ST185 properly? If so, you are the greatest, Funkycheeze.

They fit in 16X, 18X and 20X rear wheel assemblies. Lots of guys have used this PN to replace the bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkycheeze View Post
    They fit in 16X, 18X and 20X rear wheel assemblies. Lots of guys have used this PN to replace the bushings.
    What do you mean by 16X, 18X & 20X rear wheel assemblies?

The ST185 rear wheel assembly is P/N 43204-20040 & 42305-20040 - would these be considered 20X?

The SV25L (Camry All-Trac) rear wheel assembly is P/N 42304-32050 & 42305-32050 - would these be considered 32X? Those bushings are for sure used on the SV25L Camry.

He means the ST165, ST185 and ST205 chassis codes. It doesn't have anything to do with the part number.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Turns out there is plenty of inventory for these particular bushings. So my question, from those who have done the bushing replacements, is if the old can be removed and the new installed with the everything installed (except the links connected to the bushings, of course)? Or is it a requirement to remove the rear axle carrier sub-assemblies to take this part to a bench to press out the old and press in the new? The answer to this question makes a big difference in how significant the amount of work involved is.

From the install picture at the bottom of the page that Funkycheese posted, it looks like you should be able to do it on the car. They show doing it with a gear puller after soaking for several days with a good penetrating oil.

Being able to do that will depend on how much corrosion there is between the sleeve and the carrier itself. It might require some heat in addition to the oil. But it should be doable.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

I did the ones from Tara's 205 with the wheel assemblies on the car. That being said, I have a hoist which makes it much easier to work on the underside of any vehicle as you can raise it up to a good height to work on. Should be able to do it on the ground with jack stands though. I used a 3 jaw puller with socket to push the old bushings out, then popped the new ones in a freezer overnight. The next day I cleaned up the insides of the 'holes' for the bushings, heated that area slightly with a torch as well as applied a thin coat of oil and then the new bushing straight out of the freezer hammered in with a brass hammer very easily.

When you used a brass hammer to hammer the new ones in, did you use the socket between the new bushing and the hammer? Assuming YES, but just interested to know.

No - the socket ends up resting on the rubber and can damage it. I put a bolt and nut hand tight with a very large washer through them (in case I missed, to protect the rubber from hammer blows) and hammered on the bolt head.

Thread Information