CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 90 ST185 For Sale in CA

This might not be the right place to show this, but someone in CA has a 90 ST185 for sale - looks pretty complete, but asking a hefty price for it. Just in case someone is looking:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...698482528.html
    Last edited by 93celicaconv; 08-14-2016 at 11:30 PM.

little high but a 1 owner and 88k, not that far off...lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OREGON TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB LEADING MEMBER

I'd say maybe 8-9K tops... it's not a 92/93.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

My son got a maroon 90 ST185 from a single owner 2 years ago - the car was in Boulder, CO for a couple years, otherwise mostly in AZ. This CA one looks to have an aftermarket stereo head unit (not mounted flush), a cracked & chipped out rear tail light, faded paint, and some other small issues, but looks very complete. The AZ one my son got only had some chipped paint, but very little fade, and nothing else wrong - 100% original and all worked. He got it for $6,500. I do think $12k is a very high asking price, but maybe he is willing to negotiate down.

Anyway, just out there for the forum, is case anyone is looking.

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

6k is fair on that POS

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

Single owner, less than 90k miles, intact leather interior (must have been garaged since it is in SoCal because fuck that heat) everything in working order, no leaks and slightly faded but respectable paint with no clear coat cancer...

That is in no way a bad price.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlife25 View Post
    Single owner, less than 90k miles, intact leather interior (must have been garaged since it is in SoCal because fuck that heat) everything in working order, no leaks and slightly faded but respectable paint with no clear coat cancer...

That is in no way a bad price.
    In that case, the price my son made for an AZ 90 ST185 with 82,000 miles on ($6,500) was a pretty good one. But, he paid almost that much for a complete original 2nd 90 ST185 that, unfortunately, had salt water dripping on its cover for 15 years while in storage, so that created some interesting body corrosion areas (not in the typical areas, one that will require every panel to be removed for a complete restore), and we are restoring that one first. So the investiment in that second ST185 will offset what may have been a great deal on the AZ ST185.

Good to know ST185's are commanding that kind of value these days.

I would gut everything out of the second one and keep it for spares then send the body to the crusher. If the rust is that bad anyhow.
    - Mario

Questions?

I would gut everything out of the second one and keep it for spares then send the body to the crusher. If the rust is that bad anyhow.
    Maybe. Just redid the engine, was is very good condition actually (except for the typical leaks and all, and there were a lot of them - rubber hoses were all hard too and all replaced, there sure are a lot of them on that engine, Toyota still had almost all of them). Clutch replacement, all fluids/oils changed out. Powertrain is great shape now, the turbo was previously replaced not that long ago by PO and is clean. The body really isn't all that bad, just where ever the paint was chipped to the metal, it bloomed rust, but nothing through, and all rust blooms are solid after poking all the spots a lot with a pick (paint is original & fairly glossy, just has pock marks from rust pockets forming). This car was garaged and otherwise in storage its entire life, just was stored on the lower level of a 2-level garage out east the last 15 years (but never driven there), and the normally used cars were parked above, and the floor leaked a bit, so when the snow/salt from the cars above melted, some dripped down on the covered ST185 below. Why that PO never checked on it is beyond me. The rear hatch has to go, but got a solid replacement from a GT-S. So it is salvageable but will have a lot invested in it. My son wants to bring this one all the way back. He is really into ST185's (had a AT180 in high school and really likes the style of these cars, now into the rare ones). By next spring, the bodywork should be complete, and while the seats are is pretty good original shape, will likely redo them in a high lanolin leather to match color and patterns of original. Should be a 94-96 point car by early summer.

Will have to take some before pics and will post before body work begins this fall.

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Princess cant even sell for 15k. This thing is not even close to that quality 6-7k max.

Princess can't sell for 15k because people are cheap bastards. She is worth easily double that.

Also, California cars will always be worth more if they aren't outright nuked. We don't get the demon you all call rust out this way.
    - Mario

Questions?

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Princess is 15k? Dang, I could've saved myself a lot of wasted effort. It still blows my mind that hardly anyone knows about these cars and their value is a fraction of what it would be if they had the fan base I think they deserve.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Princess is 15k? Dang, I could've saved myself a lot of wasted effort. It still blows my mind that hardly anyone knows about these cars and their value is a fraction of what it would be if they had the fan base I think they deserve.
    I've always said that if we got a 3S-GE instead of the 5S-FE then we would have done a lot better.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

True, but even the Alltracs don't get much love.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

Princess can't sell for 15k because people are cheap bastards. She is worth easily double that.

Also, California cars will always be worth more if they aren't outright nuked. We don't get the demon you all call rust out this way.
    Really? i thought people usually avoided California cars because of the strict emissions, which causes less horse power output from their cars?

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Emissions related power loss is minimal typically. Also, if you live out of state and you buy a California car, you can do pretty much whatever you like to it.

Intact emissions really don't hurt power much though. Unless you are planning on a full on race car, it is less trouble to leave them be, in my experience.
    Plus, the 2-3 hp loss from emissions is more than made up for with something as simple as a 3" DP and everything else intact. Or a boost controller. Pick your poison.
    - Mario

Questions?

Like Mario said, CA emissions, even in the early 90's, didn't impact performance much. No prior to the 90's when everything was still carbureted, different story. CA cars did have a lot less power.

But with the advent of electronic fuel injections, things started to balance out.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by donteatbugs View Post
    Princess cant even sell for 15k. This thing is not even close to that quality 6-7k max.
    My guess is that
    -It's a 90/91
    -It has high miles [150k?]

I understand it's repainted, new parts, ect. Usually if people are going to pay top dollar they want the "ultimate".

A red? 92? sold on ebay for $10k a year or two ago. IIRC it had somewhere around 100k on it and was in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by celica91gts View Post
    Really? i thought people usually avoided California cars because of the strict emissions, which causes less horse power output from their cars?
    The only difference in california and federal emissions for the ST185 is the Ca spec has a temp sensor in the EGR valve so the ECU knows if it's working. The federal spec has a resistor to fool the ECU.
    Nothing else.

Jeremy FTW. Thanks for the clarification on that.
    - Mario

Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by donteatbugs View Post
    I've actually had that offer, BTW. Just not on fire to sell. Took it to the Tucker Ga cruise in yesterday and won a plaque. Cuz I needed another one!

I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    I've actually had that offer, BTW. Just not on fire to sell. Took it to the Tucker Ga cruise in yesterday and won a plaque. Cuz I needed another one!
    Yeah, 15k would be a sad price 18k would be about right for just the car.

Thread Information