CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Tires for 16" Wheels on ST185

My son has a 1990 All-Trac, and 16" wheels from a 2005 Celica GT-S. He would like to put 225/50R16 tires on those wheels for the 1990 All-Trac. I know they are larger than stock diameter. Will they fit properly on the All-Trac without any kind of modification requirements?

A few of us run 225/45R17 on a 17x8+35 based on that I think you should be okay.

Biggest issue would be if he slammed it, and hasn't rolled the rear fenders, maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Quote Originally Posted by METDeath View Post
    A few of us run 225/45R17 on a 17x8+35 based on that I think you should be okay.

Biggest issue would be if he slammed it, and hasn't rolled the rear fenders, maybe?
    The diameter & tread width of 225/45R17's would be very close to those of 225/50R16. For those running 225/45R17, has everyone rolled the rear fender seams? I was hoping not to do that.

I haven't, but I run a little high in the back with stiff damper/springs.

John has rolled his, I think Joey did on his 17x9+30 wheels.

Is the All-trac lowered will be the big point. I know if I ran 17x8 on my coupe with the TRD springs it would have required the rolling of the rear fenders.

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

i think you will be fine. all tracs have the wide body fenders after all.

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The offset on the 7th Gen GT-S wheels will cause them to tuck on the rear, they usually require 25mm spacers to bring them flush on the widebody rears. Coupes are different as they don't have as wide a rear.

As has been done a few times though, widebody front fenders on a narrowbody, will match all the way around without spacers. As shown on Chaos.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Every wheel is tucked on the back of a GTS/All-trac because the fender is wider, but the wheel placement is identical as the narrow body. I attribute this to the existence of the narrow body All-trac, as it is easier to design one nearly universal set of components with slightly differing body panel designs.

So, in short, always run a hub centric 25mm spacer in the back if you want the wheels to look closer to flush.

Well, we will have the 225/50R16 tires put on the 7th Gen GT-S 16"x6.5" wheels tomorrow. The gentleman that did some measurements did say height will be OK, width to the fenders OK, but the rear's will be close to the struts, which aligns with some thinking here.

If we want the rears spaced out a bit, where would one get the spacers? 25mm (1" seems like quite a bit of shift though - do they make 12-15mm spacers?

Will let you know what it seems like after install later this week.

H&R 25mm spacers are perfect for the back. I got mine off either Amazon or eBay, check my build thread for the part number.

Update: The 225/50R16 tires were put on the 7th Gen GT-S 16"x6.5" wheels, and onto one of our ST185's. There was sufficient room at the closest potential for contact area (rears to struts) to not cause a problem. So no spacers are needed. Those tires do drive nicely on an ST85. Thanks for all the input.

Thread Information