CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Project 87 Supra: "Stinky"

I have decided to actually go ahead with a 2jz swap and while I am at it am going to freshen up a few things. I intend to replace the dash pad which is badly cracked and worn along with the steering wheel and clean up the dash wiring. It has many years of shops like Mobile One installing aftermarket alarm, remote start, gauges etc. and the wiring just looks dreadful and has left a few things not working wonderfully. I'll also be looking to replace the housing for one of the side mirrors that was broken by vandals, and probably do all of the window/windshield/hatch trip pieces which get worn out and ugly over the years. If I can find a good set of rear seat backs in burgundy, I'll do those too, so if anyone knows of a parts car in the seattle area with the burgundy leather interior.. let me know! (the front seats and door panels were professionally re-covered and look great so I want the rest of the interior to match).

The wife and I started today by pulling the old dash. Fair amount of work but done! I'll be posting pics in the next couple days and you'll see what I mean about the awful rat nest of wiring.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

"Before" pic of engine bay, project start:

"Before" pic of interior. Not bad, but want it better. Actually, can't see the top of the dash or the back seats in this pic, so it looks great! Hah!
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Made It! burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd's Avatar
    burnyd has been to an annual Dragon Meet! burnyd has donated to the forums!

Does it have the supra monitor!?!?!?

awesome you decided to go with a 2jz
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vangls14
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    just because you want to be "different". Why not just take that mentality a couple steps forward and get yourself a Pontiac Aztek?

Grand canyon running down my dashboard, and the reason I took it out.

Several pics of the dash out and a lot of wiring to go through and clean up.

Annnd some parts just hanging out on the shelves waiting to go back in later.. how exciting..

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by burnyd View Post
    Does it have the supra monitor!?!?!?

awesome you decided to go with a 2jz
    Sure does have the monitor! I'll see if I can find an hvac control unit in better shape (though mine isn't terrible) too.

And yeah, I'm stoked about the 2j. I intend to use the turbo off the 7M, so I'll just need to get an aftermarket manifold for the 2j and should be good to go. I may be able to drop in my larger injectors too and get rid of the AFM right away with the MapECU2. I know it's sometimes better to do things incrementally to make sure it works, but I'd really rather do things while everything is apart and easy to work on.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Why did my wife take this picture? No idea. I'm glad the windshield is dirty though!
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

That wiring is one hell of a mess. im glad that is your problem and not mine

But you should completely document the 2j swap. im thinking about getting an mk2 or mk3 supra once i get the Celi running.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

Made It! burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd's Avatar

wow what over engineered wiring in that thing!
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

just because you want to be "different". Why not just take that mentality a couple steps forward and get yourself a Pontiac Aztek?

Quote Originally Posted by Grot View Post
    That wiring is one hell of a mess. .
    Now I know why that car weighs 3800 pounds!

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Too bad you didn't do this a few months ago, i just gave away my 87 Soupy. Could have given you whatever you needed, including a decent dash and HVAC unit (only one button had a crack in the overlay). It was burgundy interior as well. If you need any parts let me know. The guy I gave it to restores Supra's and has everything from MKI's to MKIV's lying around his shop.

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Wiring nightmare indeed...I'm glad you're taking the time to fix it I don't have any cracks in the dash on the st165, but I'll probably remove the dash just the same to check out the wiring and clean everything up.
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Now I know why that car weighs 3800 pounds!
    Awww come on, it's probably more like 3500 tops.. total lightweight!

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Siyx View Post
    The guy I gave it to restores Supra's and has everything from MKI's to MKIV's lying around his shop.
    Ah, that is too bad on the timing but it's ok, I just wasn't really able to do it sooner. I'd definitely be interested in the right side mirror housing if he has a silver or gray one (mirror itself is fine, just the housing was broken). Could use a steering wheel in good shape too, I've got a cover on mine because it's so worn. I'm going to try to find a dash locally since it's a gigantic item to try shipping.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by alltracNyx View Post
    Wiring nightmare indeed...I'm glad you're taking the time to fix it I don't have any cracks in the dash on the st165, but I'll probably remove the dash just the same to check out the wiring and clean everything up.
    Yeah, luckily my 165 interior is in superb condition.. now if only it will hold together mechanically... eeeek! I don't need both cars in full project mode at once.
    –verb (used with object)

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

woot supras. i have a spare super monitor and box if you need it!

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

I got some more done today. Took a break from wiring to start pulling the 7M out.

Draining fluids. Whee.

Top IC piping out of the way.. now where to begin...

Ah, how bout with the exhaust side? One good thing about I6 layout is that it's pretty easy to clear up one side, then the other in a semi-orderly fashion. I hope to be able to use this radiator with the 2j. The upper rad hoses are very similar, not sure about the lower, but should be able to work something out.

Oh hi, it's a turbo! Not a "BFT" I guess, but it's plenty big enough to start things off on the 2J. Seems to be in good shape still, very little shaft play.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a pretty standard T4 style flange? My plan is to get an ebay single turbo manifold for the 2J which should be pretty straight forward.

Exhaust side looking pretty empty. Next time I go in I'll do the same to the intake side, get the manifold out and make sure nothing is left connected to the motor to get it ready for pulling.
    –verb (used with object)

cool oil cap
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by burnyd View Post
    cool oil cap
    Mmm, yep. Another major performance part that will go on the new motor too.
    –verb (used with object)

That's gotta be 5 horses right there, hehe.
    1990 GT-S

Current Mods:
    D2 Coilover kit, 95 5sfe w/gasket kit head to toe & water pump & oil pump& timing kit, Camry headers, custom CAI, Euro H4 conversion (Autopals), Headlight control mod, Integra wing swap, Cobra Alarm, Hood lock/starter disable, Quick release aftermarket steering wheel, Pioneer p8600-MEH, and Air horn(lol).

Hey T-Spoon if you're looking for parts call this guy. Unfortunately he is in Waterloo Ontario but he ships worldwide.
    His name is Phil, you can tell him I told you to call (Adrian). He may just give you a better price!(he gave me a ton of parts in the past for free, hence why I "donated" my car to him) Phil @ Adrenaline Motorsports 1-519-590-6548
    I know most of his MKIII interior stuff is burgundy, not sure about exterior parts like the mirror but I wouldn't doubt it if he has it.

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Ahh, this will be a nice swap. I'll be following your progress. Have you already bought the 2j motor? Will the 2j bolt to the 7mgte transmission?

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Quote Originally Posted by Siyx View Post
    Hey T-Spoon if you're looking for parts call this guy. Unfortunately he is in Waterloo Ontario but he ships worldwide.
    His name is Phil, you can tell him I told you to call (Adrian). He may just give you a better price!(he gave me a ton of parts in the past for free, hence why I "donated" my car to him) Phil @ Adrenaline Motorsports 1-519-590-6548
    I know most of his MKIII interior stuff is burgundy, not sure about exterior parts like the mirror but I wouldn't doubt it if he has it.
    Thanks a lot for the info, I probably will give him a call at some point.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hookecho View Post
    Ahh, this will be a nice swap. I'll be following your progress. Have you already bought the 2j motor? Will the 2j bolt to the 7mgte transmission?
    I haven't got the 2j yet but basically have it lined up. There's a local place that sells them for a really great price, they just don't have any right at the moment. For the transmission, yeah, it requires that I swap to a 1J bell housing, which I believe Tweak can get (I'll be sending him harnesses after I get the 2J). If I could find a 2J 6spd (Getrag) for really cheap and in good shape, obviously I'd do that, but there's no way that would happen, so my 5spd should be fine.
    –verb (used with object)

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

PS: Foreign Engines in Lynnwood can also import OEM Toyota Japan parts.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Ah, good to know, Joey, thanks
    –verb (used with object)

Got a little more done today. It LOOKS like less work than the other days but believe you me it was not! Getting the wiring harness out with the intake manifold was not much fun. There was an irritating wire running between plenum runners down to a connector on top of the transmission in the tunnel under the car. *shudder*

Here are some pics of that progress:

Harness out and ready to send to Tweak when I get the 2J harness.

Couple shots of the Intake manifold and harness out of the way. I also pulled out most of the vacuum lines and some old wiring that wasn't used anymore (HKS VPC harness and Apex'i AVCR).

Not much left connected now; AC lines, Power steering, and oil cooler. Should be able to get the 7M out once I acquire a hoist and engine stand. At that point I'll tackle the dash wiring mess while waiting for a 2J.
    –verb (used with object)

I also made the decision today that I will not be attempting to keep AC. It's one less item to deal with in the swap, it's almost never needed around here, and it frees up a lot of space in the front end. It will make swapping Intercoolers easier (have to change anyway from the 7m inlet and outlet on the same side to the more standard inlet right, outlet left setup) and that's one fewer things to restrict airflow which is a plus for a MKIII. I pulled the condenser, dryer and most of the lines out today, as well as the rest of the IC piping.

Last edited by T-spoon; 08-03-2010 at 06:11 AM.
    –verb (used with object)

Started cleaning up the wiring mess. One of the big problems is that when wiring jobs and electronics were added to the car, people just put stuff where they could reach it easily and didn't make much effort to make it tidy. It was all just kind of stuffed up onto the cover panel under the steering wheel.

I am re-routing everything that I can to better places; up into the upper dash area where there is a ton of space, and looking for places to conceal and mount electronics boxes. The footrest is partially hollow and I found that a control unit for a Greddy electronic gauge will JUST fit inside with space for the wires to run out of it.

The second control unit should sit on top of the footrest and be nicely out of the way. Once I have all the panels back in, I will see how far over I can get it to tuck, and then I'll secure it to the top of the footrest. This way the boxes are out of the way, the wiring neatly goes up the wall and to the a-pillar pods but I can still access them anytime without removing anything but the footrest.
    –verb (used with object)

Ive been around Celicas and Supras for many years. If I can be of any help let me know (Im PacNW as well). I'll follow along and keep an eye on things

Well, I've been bad about updating and posting. I didn't do anything for a couple weeks (down with a cold). No pics of the recent stuff at the moment but what I've done is pull the bumper cover, the bumper bar and the upper support. I found when I took the upper cover off that support was quite rusted, so it's off after much ado. The two screws on one side decided to start freewheeling inside the nuts which are welded to the fender, so getting them out was dreadful. I intend to replace both it and the crash bar (as I found that it was already crashed, not MAJOR but definitely dented). Then the intercooler came out along with the final couple of AC lines. Really there is very little left to do before pulling the 7M. I bought an engine stand and am looking around for a cheap engine lift/hoist/cherrypicker.

If anyone knows of a MKIII being parted out in the Seattle area with a good front end, I'd love to pull that upper reinforcement and crash bar. Also will need silver passenger mirror housing and still looking for a dash. I found a guy that said he had a perfect dash for me and then just simply stopped replying to email
    –verb (used with object)

what do u need that can be shipped im going to the junkyards sunday and i remember one of the "cheap" yards had a mostly intact 90-92 n/a i passed as i was heading out last week
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Thread Information