CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 91 celica gt

Default 91 celica gt

I got a 91 celica gt with a 5sfe 5speed I just purchased a 2nd gen 3sgte turbo swap with trans wanted to know wut am I gonna need for it to make it work

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

First off, Welcome!

Second, head on over to the FI forum (Forced Induction). There is a lot of good information there. You can convert the AWD transmission that came with the motor to a FWD application but it would be easier just to use your existing S54 transmission or swap out to a E153 transmission from a MR2.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome

Loads of info here to do exactly what you are after. Please ask if you need help/advice and please do keep us updated on your progress!
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Yeah I bought the sw20 swap complete with tranny turbo ecu and harness etc....

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is wiring harness and as well with the e153 tranny I got cause my connections for my stock is in the rear and the new tranny has them on the front idk wut to do in that situation

take a look in the FI forums, there's instructions for using the SW20 tranny in a celica there.

- sold
    Red 2001 GT-S "Hannah"

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

To use the trans you need a few bits from the alltrac. Drill and tap a few holes. Its not hard and worth the effort. You will also need to put together some custom axles. Again not hard. The info how is floating around.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I did a similar swap in the siggy below. I ended up getting a St215 motor and E153 transmission from a 93+ SW20 (please tell me you have the 93+ model...). You'll need to rape either a ST165 or ST185 transmission for the misc bits & bolts you need to make it FWD. you'll need what they call hybrid axles as well as Andy said (hybrid = SW20 inner, ST165/185 outers). Make sure you get the inners that match your transmission (LSD vs. non LSD).
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Yeah I got a 2nd gen sw20 swap

How do I know if I got the lsd trans e153

Junior Member 90GT2 is on a distinguished road
    90GT2 has donated to the forums!

Pull the axels out and look in the hole. If you see a bar that runs across inside you have a lsd trans. If there is no bar you have a non lsd trans. If your still not sure post a pic and we can verify it. I may have a pic of what im describing in my for sale thread from the swap package im selling so you could also check that out if your unsure.

Also if your trans is lsd you either need the mr2 lsd axels or you need to mechine the non lsd mr2 axels to work.

Ok I think I have the non lsd trans no bar in the middle just a straight in..... Also I wanted to know to throw in the complete swap into my 91 celica gt that had a 5sfe motor and trans will it straight bolt on to my existing mounts or wut do I need?? Cause I know with the sw20 swap which is the one I have for my car I need the all trac shift linkage bracket and shift linkage for it to work... Is that true??

I think it's the other way around for lsd u have no bar u get to see the whole way through and non lsd is with bar

Nope. On the e153 the bar indicates its an lsd so if yours does not have the bar it is not an lsd.

As for what you need there should be a few topics discussing this or you could just reference my forsale ad. It lists all the parts you need to complete this swap. There is a number of things you need from the alltrac including engine mounts, crossmember, and axels to name a few.

Oh ok weird cause I've look it up and others say different

Also I've heard that I need all engine mounts brackets from the all trac to make the engine bolt on my 91 gt

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

No, your mounts are for an S series engine in a GT, you will be fine if you are reusing your stock transmission.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

If you are reusing your stock fwd transmission the gt/gts mounts are fine. If your switching to the e153 you need alltrac mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by SantosEm1 View Post
    Oh ok weird cause I've look it up and others say different
    The mr2 trans is the exception to the general rule you looked up. Dont believe me go look it up on mr2oc.com.

You will also need to switch the gear selector out because it js set up for the engine being in the rear as apposed to the front where you are putting it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 90GT2 View Post
    The mr2 trans is the exception to the general rule you looked up. Dont believe me go look it up on mr2oc.com.

I had a 89 Celica GTS (3s-ge and S53 transmission). I too was under the impression that I needed the alltrac crossmembers, mounts & shift cables. I bought them all from a friend (which ironically now...I bought the car). Started installing them and realized the shift cables and crossmember braces were identical. The only thing I had to do on my 162 crossmember was to make one hole slightly elongated to accept the alltrac bracket & mount.

I then decided to dig and did some comparing with ST184/ST185 to the ST162/ST165. The St18x series does not share the same luck from the measurements that were sent to me (the thread and post is around here somewhere..).

Her Build thread -->

lol this thread has gotten a little fragmented. Just to clarify. I believe the OP wanted to know if his trans was an LSD and was then asking what he would need to put the e153 into his st184 when he preformed a 3sgte +e153 swap. To clarify, if your transmission has the bar when you look through the axel hole it has a factory LSD unit in it, this is different than most other transmissions. This can easily be verified by going to mr2oc and doing a search, so again if a e153 trans has the bar it IS an LSD trans. Second if you are doing a 3sgte + e153 swap into a GT/GTS st184 and want it to bolt right in without modifications then you need an alltrac crossmember, engine mounts, shifter cables, and outer axles. You will also need MR2 inner axles that match your trans (ie the lsd and non lsd mr2 axels are not the same). Lastly you need a fwd selector, this can be taken from an alltrac or s53 (fwd) trans. If on the other hand you want to simply put the swap in and reuse the stock s53 trans then things become easier and less parts are needed. As for doing this swap into the st16x or parts cross compatibility between the st16x and st184 I dont have any info.

So basically I do need all the all trac motor mount brackets to bolt my new swap into my celica gt right with the e153 trans

Thread Information