CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Looking good! The 3rd gen has to be my favorite swap for the 165..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 SC300 - "The long way home" daily driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'88 ST165 - Project "Caun Beef"
    '91 MR2 - Project SCCA
    '93 Corrado SLC - "Purple Haze"

Whew missed a whole bunch of updates...

November 22nd 2015

So after burning through all the oil in the exhaust, I took an angle grinder to cut out the sections and disconnect it from the down pipe. The muffler was already rusted through and disconnected so it simply fell off once removed from the exhaust hangers. Still had a Toyota part number stamped on it so it could of been original. Probably was.

It was starting to show its love.

I had a few choices at this point: 1) HKS ST185 Catback+Trackforge midpipe. Pricey as it would put me over $1500. 2) Custom exhaust. 3) Ebay Exhaust for $250...

I went with the Ebay option.

Arrived in good condition. Seems high quality.

I was anticipating having to mange this thing in there with some hammerlike persuasion but much to my surprise, it fit really well.

The most difficult part to bolt together.

One of the exhaust hangers doesn't reach. I'll need to get a longer one.

Autozone exhaust clamp. Leaked so I'll need to get a better quality one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3zrl569pIw

Overall I'm satisfied with the fit and finish. I'll have to do a proper test once I get a new exhaust clamp.

I had to snap some pics to insure my car with Hagerty. Agreed value of $15,000 for around $500/yr isn't too bad considering all the money I've poured into this (around $14,000 on my spreadsheet but a lot of that was maintenance). Got my policy approved today so I'm fairly happy with that. I don't want to be in a situation where some asshat nails me at an intersection or sitting at a light on something that is pretty much irreplaceable with nothing to show for it.

Sparco wheels and Rokblok mudflaps. I'm not 100% on the mudflap placement.

Pulled the passenger hub off and discovered whoever was there before me crossthreaded and mushroomed the axle. As soon as I broke the nut loose, it was a struggle to get it off. What a mess. The hub is getting a fresh bearing and seal. The bushings look pretty good so I'll leave those alone for now (plus I really don't want to do the other side). Since I'm already under here, I decided to crack open the torsen diff to make sure everything looks good on the inside before I swap it out with the factory open diff. It was very gooey inside.

The hell...

This bushing isn't looking too hot. Seems a bit leaky as well.

January 17th, 2016

ST205 torsen diff is prepped with new seals and Toyota red FIPG. BRD diff mount ordered so its time to drop the factory diff.

Dropping the diff was a bigger pain than I anticipated but it came off after about an hour of wrestling.

Cruddy factory differential.

Cracked open after draining. It had a bit less than a quart of fluid. Factory calls for 1.1 quarts.

Factory open diff vs torsen LSD.

ST165 vs ST205 diff cover.

Long time no update. I've been driving the car on the weekends only for the past few months, ironing a few issues here and there.

Forgot to post the pictures of the diff installation in January.

ST205 Torsen diff installed. Not a terrible job. Also picked up a poly diff and replaced the factory rubber.

BRD poly mount installed.

Diff installed.

Now to yesterday.

I started overboosting and hitting 20-22 PSI then my CEL came on for fuel cut. I spent the whole day trying to figure out why until I found that the nipple cap on the wastegate to the turbo VSV blew off. Guess I forgot to secure it

Other than that, here is how she sits for now. I'm about at the 400 mile mark since the swap to give you an idea of how much i've driven her. One or two shows in that time as well. At around 500 I'll be sending an oil analysis to Blackstone to see how the engine looks.

Last weekend I pulled into the garage after a short drive and noticed only one of the fans working. I took a peak at the wiring and saw one of the spade connectors had been pulled out of the fuse holder. Instead of reconnecting it, I decided to redo them entirely with room for expansion as it was just a bunch of wires I stuffed behind the battery .

Taking some inspiration from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvFHA1xY10w.

First I wired it up.

Then had my fiance wire it to the fans and the battery. She also stole my celica shirt for this

Temporary place until I get a smaller Odyssey battery.

In-cabin relays for future gauge expansion in the passenger footwell.

And of course a quick rear end shot.

Picked up a PLX wideband and oil temp/pressure sensors. More pics to come!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Due to the lack of room between the oil pressure sensor and the intercooler, I have to remotely mount the sensor. I stumbled upon this thread on the MR2OC forums and went ahead and bought the parts. http://www.mr2oc.com/58-3sgte-mk1-5/...or-issues.html.

Parts ordered:

Order received from Jegs (Summit was OOS on the brake line).

Installed into the head.

Remote installed using some galvanized hanger brackets I had laying around.

Installing the oil temp sensor was a breeze. The Gen3 3SGTE block conveniently leaves three open 3/8 BSPT ports above the oil filter housing. May have been used/leftover for racing use. Who knows? Either way, I removed the threaded insert with an allen wrench. I had the worse time looking for a 3/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT adapter until I stumbled across 42 Draft designs EVO adapter. Since it was the only one available, I went ahead and ordered that one.

Better reference.

Installed.

Wired up.

I was bored tonight so I decided to cut open my OEM Toyota filter to look for metal chunks and overall curiosity. I've cut open cheaper store brand filters so I did not expect all these components.

On the 4th of July I was cruising along with my buddy when all of a sudden the car started to loose power. I glance at my AFR and its pegged at 10, even at idle. Giving it ANY power made it nearly die, along with a sputter of backfires. Essentially dumping fuel. I pulled into a parking lot and code 31 popped up, which is a vacuum sensor fault for gen3. I unplugged the battery, blew out the MAP sensor, and babied the car home.

Thanks to PrimeMR2, I acquired a brand new gen3 map sensor which included the MR2 bracket. The bracket allowed me to mount the boost sensor to the firewall instead of being zip tied under the power steering high pressure hose.

I also needed an alignment so I took it to Meisterwerks in Renton, WA. They opened up a new shop with a fancy alignment machine so I took the car down.

Cool man, hope it keeps doing well.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Finally picked up a set of JDM corners. Needed some polishing so I polished and then wired it up.

Moved the placement of my turbosmart boost controller to a mounted position on the factory BOV.

Also took a few interior shots in the sun because why not?

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Looks really good. I would like an ST165. If I were still into Celicas.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

That interior looks as sexy as the one in my old one that Tim now owns. Very nice!
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Excellent work. The car looks great. You've given me a few ideas.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Alltrac View Post
    Excellent work. The car looks great. You've given me a few ideas.
    Thanks man.

End of Summer Upgrade

I spent the last few weeks upgrading a few key components:

1) Larger heat exchanger.
    2) Larger IC pump
    3) Heat wrap top mount heat exchanger
    4) Cut and fiberglass the ST205 original airbox.
    5) Run a force-fed intake from the lower front bumper. Inspiration from here: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewto...p?f=44&t=50901
    6) Battery relocation to trunk.

Heat exchanger arrives.

Xbox One S controller for scale.

Draining the coolant from the original IC.

Intercooler removal.

Bosch/cobra pump installed.

Using zip ties to measure positioning.

Using some threaded rod and rod ends, heat exchanger mounted.

Heat wrapped the top mount intercooler

Fiberglassed and fitted ST205 airbox. No pics of fiberglass process (sorry). It required the entire bottom section to be cut and fiberglassed over.

Used an aluminum project box to store my various fan and accessory relays.

Cut a 3" hole to run the air ducting to the factory airbox.

Bumper hole still needs some triming.

Battery mounted in the rear passenger hatch.

Still a few more things to do so I'll add more pictures once completed.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Looking great! Love the relay box. Noticed you pulled out the centre support for the rad support - I did too. Might have to add in a new piece to keep it from flexing so you can close your hood. I just used a piece of flat metal stock, worked great. Freed up a bunch of space over the stock bulky one.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Looking great! Love the relay box. Noticed you pulled out the centre support for the rad support - I did too. Might have to add in a new piece to keep it from flexing so you can close your hood. I just used a piece of flat metal stock, worked great. Freed up a bunch of space over the stock bulky one.
    Thanks man. I may or may not have used a couple of large black zip ties to bring the hood down until I get something fabbed up.

Oil analysis came back from Blackstone Labs. I'm pretty pleased.

Thread Information