CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Vacuum Oil Change system

Since the filter is on the top of the 3S engine and it is harder to get the jack under the car, I decided to try one for vacuum oil extractors. For those not familiar, you put a tube down the dipstick tube, pump the vacuum vessel to build vacuum, open the valve and the oil magically come up through the tube into the tank.

I got this one from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To start off, it does work. But, this first run it took a lot longer than it probably should have to get the oil out. I read the reviews before I bought it and some of the reviewer complained that you had to do extra sealing on the caps so it would maintain the vacuum. They were reporting that it would drain a car oil pan in about 3 minutes or so. My case was more like 30 or so. I had to keep closing the valve and pumping the vacuum. For a car, they recommend 40-50 pumps, so my experience the first time was quite tiring.

One thing I didn't like about this particular system is that the back support that holds the vacuum pump is plastic and slides up on a mounting shoe. It is not fixed to the tank other than through friction. I had this thing slide off a few times and the back of the vacuum pump goes with it. I ended up having to hold it in place.

Right now, I'm reserving judgment until I have chance to use it again. I'm going to make some modifications to it, Teflon tape all of the threads and such to make sure that the tank holds vacuum. Hopefully that will speed the process up.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the review Mike.

You should do these for other auto related items you happen to pick up.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Even with one of these I'd still suggest doing a "regular" oil change every so often to get all the crud out of the bottom of then pan. I'm thinking of going to wheels ramps for doing oil changes to save time though.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

They have a decent set of ramps at Harbor Freight for under $50 that work well and get the car about 10" up.
    (From the tires mind you, so you actually have a good bit of room to roll under there with a creeper.)
    - Mario

Questions?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Who needs ramps when you have 10" rear axle clearance on a RWD? Roll under on a creeper, crack it open, roll on out.

I used to have a pair of plastic harbor freight ramps that worked great. Lowered cars though I had to use a blue 2x4 to help get it up.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

The ones I was talking about are the metal ones. They are really sturdy and have a gentle slope, so anything not slammed should go up fairly easily.
    - Mario

Questions?

I need to get another set of ramps. I had some years ago when I had my El Camino. I'll check those out at Harbor Freight.

I was curious as to how this vacuum oil extractor would work. I have read a lot of review of them over the years and most were positive. The one I got works pretty good but like I said earlier, I'm going to reseal it to see if it does better.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Thread Information