CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Production of Toyota Celica for export here will end in July

f a new Toyota Celica is in your dreams, you'd better act quickly if you want your dreams to come true.

After 35 years on the market in the United States, the Celica is going away at the end of the 2005 model year. Toyota has said production of the car for export to North America will end in July, so there is still time to act.

This fun sport coupe is one of the best ever to hit the market, especially the current model, which represents the seventh generation of the Celica.

The original Celica was introduced in 1971, and Toyota credits it as being "influential in establishing the sporty subcompact segment."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/wheels/219984_road15.html

This is not news anymore, but for those thinking that the celica is DEAD this clearly label the car will stop being importing in america, so the celica is NOT DEAD yet(unlike the prelude)...

SO you lucky european might get that new (better?) celica...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I had good time with this one
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The new ride!!

msn:

so sad to hear this. So now what sports car is Toyota going to have? The corolla S? haha. Yeah but thats pretty crappy that the celica is ending for us Celica lovers in North America

1993 Celica GT-S - Eibach ProKit, Alltrac Hood, CS Bumper, JDM Clear Corners, Clear Front Bumper, 35% Tints, Kicker RMB8, Lenso Samurai Bronze 17" Wheels

2007 GTI - NewSouth Boost Gauge, APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-Flo Intake

If you have taken the new scion tc on a test drive, let me know what you think about it.
    me- toyota
    This is whats replacing the celica!!! Awsome car huh, really sounds like fun.
    4th place: 2005 Scion tC by mini,
    Bargain price for an attractive, smooth-riding, but mostly uninspiring driver.
    http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...y/index10.html

scion review-by motor trend
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ntc/index.html
    new civic si
    http://www.motortrend.com/autoshows/...csi/index.html
    I havnt heard much lately about the tc in some of the sport compact mags i read, maybe i missed it or is this car not that popular?
    Honda brought out the new civic to compete against the poor tc,lol. I looked at the new civics specs and its owns it. Like any car would need to compete against it, thats just sad or am i wrong. Is the new scion tc really worth purchasing for the sport compact modders. I mean does its engine have potential, does it handle well, is it the next big step toward sport compacts for toyota? There are so many great cars that already compete against the tc, i dont see why anyone would even consider purchasing it, except that it is a toyota.
    Last edited by BEAMS; 05-18-2005 at 10:03 PM.

Syn

Where I live, niether of the Toyota dealerships have new celicas on the lots, nor are they being advertised in anyway.... I guess some dealerships are bugging out early.

:thumbsdow That blows. Well on the bright side maybe our celicas will start appreciating

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

Toyota needs to stick some turbocharged cars in their lineup.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

I really don't understand why Toyota would pull such a popular car. Ever notice how many celicas you see around? It's a HUGE market for them. I don't see how they can justify it $$wise.

The TC has cranked out over 500 whp, but that motor was worked over pretty good inside and out. But a lot of those parts were one off custom pieces, at least until the aftermarket demand causes them to be made for the general public.

Are they bringing back the Supra? or is that just whisper we hear on the DSM threads?

its cuz we have big american penises and they are jealous.. bastards

Toyota sucks. Toyota sells alot because they have alot of people that use them for family cars. I don't think anyone ever turns to toyota for performance in a new car. Right now the only car I would consider buying would be the TRD Tacoma, 4x4 ofcourse.

Religion has many gods. For this tribe, this is their God.
    **New and improved wavy effect!!

Quote Originally Posted by RallyK
    I really don't understand why Toyota would pull such a popular car. Ever notice how many celicas you see around? It's a HUGE market for them. I don't see how they can justify it $$wise.
    its marketing 101... out with the old name.. in with a new name... anytime sales start to taper off (even if the actual number of sales grow it probably wan't hitting prospected numbers or precent increase) so the simple basis, it is time for like an 8th generation of the car... so instead of doing an 8th gen they are taking it off the market.. they will probably replace it with something as sporty.. or possibly rerelease it in 4-5 years... doing the rerelease cars have seen huge %sales increase.. simply because everying gets hyped for the new version which will most def be better and brighter... either way its actually a win for toyota.. get ready to see something new n-e-way..

and as for the cars appriciating.. don't think that will happen.. however resale on the camaro is really good right now.. so u never know...

Lifetime Member hobbie2k is on a distinguished road hobbie2k's Avatar
    hobbie2k has donated to the forums!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RallyK
    Well first off, it's not a huge market and they're not that popular, except to us. Even the perennial leader (the Civic Si) has seen a sharp dropoff in sales in their last version (though the just released one may be able to reverse that trend). I haven't seen a Celica on a dealer lot in a long time, and those that I did see were ones that had been there for more than a year and had huge markdowns on them. They're just too expensive, not powerful enough, and have styling that tends to alienate people (the 7th gens). I rarely see a Celica on the road (though that may be a regional thing). I might see one or two a week...and I work at a gas station. They just aren't that popular. We notice them because we're looking for them, so they seem to be more common, but they really aren't.

Anyway, Toyota is the richest and most profitable car company in the world. They have enough liquid cash to BUY a controlling share of GM. They didn't get there by spending resources on cars and markets that don't sell.

Yeah I'm disappointed to see the Celica name die (though I never really liked the 7th gen, I was more into the early RWDs), but who knows, this might be just what it needs, because a hiatus will give Toyota of America a chance to rethink just what a Celica is, and who knows, maybe we'll see a 2012 Celica with AWD, a hybrid drivetrain getting an easy 35mpg, and a 0-60 in 5.5 secs...
    Team 'learn about other cars and you may learn more about yours' member 002
    2015 Skoda Octavia Wagon
    1996 Nissan Pulsar SSS

I don't know about the US, but here in Canada they are rediculous expensive. 34k for a GTS now rated at 164hp, can't imagine why they aren't selling, you can buy a V-8 mustang for that (crappier car, but still) You can almost buy a V-8 Charger for that as well.

I think they have the right idea, turbos are fuel hungry , maintinince intensive, N/A is a nice way to go. But perhaps something with a less peaky powerband, people in north America don't like that.

They like fatass 2.4 L midrange motors like the Scion TC and 5SFE (sigh). Toyota likes to make the money, not sell cars that lose it.

it'll be nice if 4-5 years from now the new supra, celica and mr-2 come out at the same time...
    talking about triple threat....

Hard to see it go but im actually glad... The way i have always looked at the celica was the car everyone followed. NO seriously look at all the models when they first came out and compare to the other cars. Then fast forward a couple years and compare all the new simalarities! The 7th gen stayed in production way to long. In my opinion (not worth anything) they should last only 4 years a model. So in my opinion anyway the 7th gen and its long ass rain was the down fall of the celica name...

I will still dream about the triple threat that was said above but dont expect to see it.

On behalf of all the car guys in the world i would like to donate a slap to toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodhendrix1
    So in my opinion anyway the 7th gen and its long ass rain was the down fall of the celica name...
    The downfall of the Celica name was replacing the 3S-GE with a Camry engine. The 2ZZ-GE in the 7th gen was too little, too late.
    Morwan Osman
    Navy Gloss '90 Celica
    Self-hating Toyota fanatic and bench racer.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg....a_1888_1539294

There is the lastest on the supra. As for the TC, Toyota was supposed to release a supercharger for that 2.4 in November, anyone know whathappened to that? If you got it installed at the dealership it was going to be covered by a 3yr/36k warranty, or so the dealership told me. I want to say the package added in the neighborhood of $4000-$4500 to the sticker price. Does anyone remember the spy shots of the "8th Gen Celica" from way back? Didn't look a bit like the TC?

Just thinking out loud....

-wrongboy
    Should your kill list include your own car?

93 ST- Dead

90 GT- Evelyn
    - Modified Ram Air intake
    - Eibach sportlines with KYB gas struts
    - 2000 GTS 16" wheels w/ Kuhmos
    - 93 tails w. vented corners
    - All trac hood
    - JDM Corners and clear signals
    - TWM Short Shifter

/BANNED

Ricksta has a spectacular aura about Ricksta has a spectacular aura about Ricksta's Avatar
    Ricksta has donated to the forums!

who here actually likes 7th gens anyways? i think thier just doin us all a favor gettin rid of those things

The rolling wedge gets the final wedgie? No big loss. I have a '04 Tiburon GT which outperforms in pretty much every way for a lot less and a better warranty. I know alot of people aren't real big fans of Hyundai's, but looking at pure paper, the Tiburon and the SRT-4 own all. The Tib for the price, warranty, and smoothish ride, and the SRT-4 for the price and power. The Celica makes a GREAT slightly used car because it keeps its resale value and will stay reliable because it's a Toyota...but Toyota doesn't make money off their slightly used cars.

I like the color of RayMe's car....

Lifetime Member hobbie2k is on a distinguished road hobbie2k's Avatar
    hobbie2k has donated to the forums!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Morwan
    The downfall of the Celica name was replacing the 3S-GE with a Camry engine. The 2ZZ-GE in the 7th gen was too little, too late.
    The downfall of the Celica was exactly the same thing that caused the downfall of the Supra, 300ZX, RX-7, 3000GT, 240SX, Prelude, GT4, Camaro, etc... Burgeoning price and dwindling market (due in part to the popularity of SUVs and Pickups).

Except that the Celica somehow survived the sporty car genocide, only to have the final nail driven by the sporty car renaissance (the WRX, EVO, SE-R, SRT-4, etc... [notice, all are 4 doors])
    Team 'learn about other cars and you may learn more about yours' member 002
    2015 Skoda Octavia Wagon
    1996 Nissan Pulsar SSS

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

the TC is awesome. plain and simple, they could have put the Celica gts motor in it instead of the camry but hey displacement is always good, and the supercharger sucks, only 40 more horse and you dont even feel it, i recomend the turbonetics turbo kit.

Bugs me that they never offered the 5th and 6th gen Celica's with the 3SGE. I mean, Honda did it with the Prelude and they sold, why couldn't Toyota? Have the 5SFE as the base motor and the 3SGE 2nd-3rd etc as the upper model?
    1990 Toyota Celica GTS
    Tranny swap done!
    Fix the Fender that Avalanche backed into...

1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
    Buncha Mods!
    400ish Hp

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo
    All Rebuilt and Stuff!
    320hp or so

Quote Originally Posted by celica9303
    the TC is awesome. plain and simple, they could have put the Celica gts motor in it instead of the camry but hey displacement is always good, and the supercharger sucks, only 40 more horse and you dont even feel it, i recomend the turbonetics turbo kit.

IMO the 2zz is too peaky and torque-challenged to move a relative pig (compared to the celica) like the TC properly. The tC DOES have torque, and an SC is good for that low end power delivery for city driving. The tC is like a heavier, roomier 6th gen with enough extra power to go with it. The 7th gen is more like a honda. Even with the 1zz vs 5s you can feel how.. weak.. the zz is on the bottom, but it breaths so much better up top than the 5s. I think the engine choice isn't too bad on the tC. The SC available for it does have pretty weak gains, but the charger itself is capable of offering plenty more. I don't like how the tC handles compared to a celica, but oh well. I'm very disappointed to see the last production year of the celica be offered from the dealers looking like crap. (riced tails, exhaust, etc.) Hopefully they'll bring something better out.

Btw, the new camry's are.. interesting *shrug*
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayme
    SO you lucky european might get that new (better?) celica...
    Production for Europe has already stopped. What is in the showrooms is the last of them.

There will be no more.
    Project Noir underway
    Alfa V6 wagon still pulling like a train.

Thread Information