CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 1991 Celica Springs

I'm refreshing the springs & dampers on my wife's 1991 Celica GT manual coupe. I'd like to keep the OEM ride height and a more comfortable ride - the car is her DD and we take it ice-racing and rallycrossing a few times a year. To those ends, I've ordered the OEM-style KYB Excel-G replacement struts and wanted to get new OEM springs to replace the current ones. It looks like there are a lot of different part numbers out there for springs, so I had a few questions.

Are there any springs that would keep the original ride height but be a little bit stiffer?
    - For example, would the liftback GT rear springs be a bit stiffer but otherwise interchange with the coupe?

Are the left & right springs the same for the front & back? Sometimes there are different part numbers, sometimes the notes say that they'll work on both sides.

What part numbers should I be looking for. As best as I've been able to tell, the front springs should be either "481312H310" or "481312M160", while the rears could be "482312G280" (although some sites list that as for the ST204), or "482312G470" for the liftback.

Thank you!
    Last edited by toplessFC3Sman; 11-04-2014 at 03:23 PM.

I will find you and I will kill you. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany has too many green lights. david in germany's Avatar
    david in germany has donated to the forums! david in germany helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! david in germany helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon david in germany helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

I think you are going to spend more trying to keep it "stock like" than if you just chose a quality aftermarket drop spring. I wouldn't run hatch springs on a coupe or vice versa. You made a good choice with the kyb but personally I would look for a set of H&R springs to go with the kyb and never think about the suspension again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    BM Dubyou
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 118i Monaco Blue, 6 Speed Manual, Daily Driver
    2009 335i M Sport Saphire Black, 6 Speed Manual, (Cobb Tune) 370+hp, Alternate daily Driver
    2011 328i M sport, 6 Speed Manual, Titan Silver (wife's Car)
    No Automatics in this family!

Quote Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
    I think you are going to spend more trying to keep it "stock like" than if you just chose a quality aftermarket drop spring. I wouldn't run hatch springs on a coupe or vice versa. You made a good choice with the kyb but personally I would look for a set of H&R springs to go with the kyb and never think about the suspension again.
    I've looked into Eibachs, H&R, and a few others, and they all look like they have about a 1.5" drop, while the KYB Excel-G shocks I just bought won't work properly with anything over 1" since they have some position-dependent valving in them. I'd like to keep the stock ride height for the extra piece of mind & resistance to getting stuck when ice-racing or rally-crossing.

CelicaTech Vendor FrunkMonkey is on a distinguished road

The front factory springs have been discontinued. The rears are available under part number 48231-2G280 and are the same left and right. Nothing that I know of will keep stock height and stiffen the ride a bit.

-Tracy
    Tracy Griffin - Lithia Toyota of Springfield, OR -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'91 T-Top N/A MR2

Get prices and order online. Check out the new LithiaToyotaParts.com!

Thread Information