CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gojira AKA "ゴジラ" Swapping into the future - 2 grfe into a st204 alive as of 10/2/15

Will start an official thread, into this. wont go into detail. Will keep it mostly informative, because i know this will not be a favorite swap for most, and could be cost prohibitive for some.

Decided to share this on Celica tech, because after seeing the bay of the 91 GTS in my driveway, it may be doable...

Approximate cost of swap is around 7 to 8K, and will vary according of how far you want to go. mods and stuff

not going to get into detail about, a shopping list, or what not. there are multiple places you can get it, and it has been discussed before.

the engine fits, and it barely makes it. will not fully disclose all that is being done, but will mos likely help anyone that wants to do this personally.

fitting the engine and mating the engine, can be found in the MR2OC forums, and i will not take credit for it.

Please lets not fill this thread with garbage. Its a 2grfe, because i wanted it, and if you dont like it, oh well, you are not paying for it, lol....

first things first, the engine needs to come from the bottom, it wont come from the top... it wont...

there are some body modifications, and will get into details later in the swap... I have my reasons.

the swap is doable. and like I said, im willing to help personally to any member, that will do it.

Will be a slow guide, because i decided to do it all myself, with no help. I feel like this is more personal....

Will include more stuff in the days to come...

just consider the 2grfe, its worth it. all aluminum...

I will update more in the next couple of days, as i have more stuff to post, figure i start with this, and see interest...

The reason it has to go from the bottom, is because youll jam it, when you try to do from the top.

It wont clear the regular hood, but it will clear a gt4 hood, with some modifications to be confirmed...

there is some tapping and drilling to be done to tranny, and engine.... (all is covered in MR2OC), and all credit goes to guoky...

and how the pros do it to mount their engines..

you just cant go straight to make the engine mount. you need to have a temporary mount to give you an idea of what needs to be cut and addressed.. in the engine bay. i suggest like i said earlier to remove the power steering an lines, and the a/c lines, unless you want to run the risk of damage...

not yet sure if there is enough space for guoky headers in the rear, they fit for the front..

Last edited by njccmd2002; 10-02-2015 at 03:59 PM.

more stuff,

anyways... here is why you shove this engine from the bottoms...

this is the engine mounted, and on the temp mount...

but that is not a problem..

obligatory swap picture...

and finished..

i had to pull this engine 6 times up and down, up down to measure the cutting and notching the frame...

i had to notch for the head, and steering pump....

this is another angle from the crossmember.. you barely have clearance..

and

a stupid trick to line up the engine i learned...

and once again, out, awaiting flywheel, and i will clean the transmission. its dirty...

and while that is out, this may get refreshed..

still lots to do, and so little time...

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Impressive, and you tried being all humble on the phone with me.

I could be way off base here, but I am pretty sure that the 4th-6th Gens are all the same car with minor differences, aside from the major difference of the body of course. I know that many suspension components have been made to work across all three generations. Engine mounts are different, but I am pretty sure that bay sizes are the same.

That looks like it will be a pretty wicked swap when it is done, just a brief look at the engine specs and it makes the same power and torque as my Mustang V6, not bad at all.

One thing you will discover as you spend time with us, we are all pretty open minded and groovy with all the stuff, there isn't a lot of hate over here on what or how you modify your car. We might seem a little cliquey, but that is because a lot of us have been together for ten to fifteen years.

Anyways, I know I am glad to have you here and I look forward to seeing this swap done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda for President

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

What Murg said.

Also welcome! That is a prodigious amount of work. Very glad that you have decided to document it. Perhaps if you are willing, adding in all the details would be welcomed by all.

Can't wait to see it all finished. Keep up the good work.

- Mario
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I have to admit that I just spent the last hour stalking you on 6GC and Classic-Celica.

I am highly impressed with your work and you seem to be extremely knowledgeable.

I am really looking forward to meeting you next week.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

thanks, but all in all, i learn in the forums. That celica in the back, is on stand by. pending the 6th gen. When i started i did not how to even change brake pads in 2007. but reading and trial and error, makes it happen. I am not a mechanic by trade. Just another enthusiast. I dont know what im doing, and when i hit a bump, i go back and scrounge the internet. As of right now, i have no idea of the wiring. But the time will come...

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Um...

Can I say...

"Holy hell, that's ballsy". Lol I hadn't ever really considered that a 3.5l V6 into a 6th gen was even possible. I doubt I would DO it for precisely the reason you mentioned... But good lord that's awesome!

Now I have to one-up you by putting that same engine into a 7th gen...

Just kidding. But nice work, and I can't wait to see the rest of this swap.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

Very cool! I had seen the 2GR going into MR2's and MRS's but this is the first 6th gen. This will be a righteous ride.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

You guys are right. This is going to be the first in the world.

I'm glad you're starting to post more here I think you'll like it here
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

thanks, i wish more people see this engine as a good turning point. with more people interested, there will be more support for it. As of now only one person makes headers. And its ok, the rest is just grab here and there. Everything just ads up. not that the market needs to be flooded with crappy stuff, but more options.
    I have some more stuff to post, but work limits me. and its just some non important crap...

bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Lol with a pioneering swap like this, nothing is insignificant! Hahahaha

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

Love it, keep posting the updates.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

Images

And for the record, Norberto here agrees with me as to the feasibility of a backhalved/tube chassis/chopped and channeled RWD conversion of a FWD Celica.

Just something I have been saying for well over a decade is possible.

At least I think that was him that posted about it.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

everything is possible with the right amount of time and dedication.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

And $$$ Lol

My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.

lol..

small update... nonetheless, important..

engine and tranny ready, newly painted brackets, and cleaned aluminum. Bolts torqued, and loctited..

tought this was funny!!

What flywheel are you using?
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Images

I think this is going to be awesome when it is complete, the OP is pretty knowledgeable and his workmanship is pretty nifty. He isn't telling us about the 1GC he has hidden in the corner that he has all ready for reassembly when this project is done.

I am hoping that with his writeup of this, and maybe the other member that is thinking about doing this (who already has the engine) will make this a more common swap. This is pretty wicked, if expensive. I think an STXX5 would be awesome with this engine.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Look at that TINY trans on that huge engine.... I love it!

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Fidanza Flywheel, for 1MZ . The tranny does look funny. but it does the job. I would have loved AWD, but that will be to way out of my league....

and a major update..

just because i was there... SS clutch line...

Just kidding, here is the major update.

Credit goes to forgman on 6GC, he sent me the parts needed, I had just to buy one that was bad, and just need to tweak the bracket... But Im using OEM Mount...

Need to tweak, need to raise bracket some 3 to 4 mm. to get a good orientation.

Images

I'm stoked for this. If it works out well, I may consider it for my own swap.

Very cool swap, can't wait until I get to see it in person! Now if only there were other 6th gen owners with access to a 2GR to get started on the swap...

1998 Celica GT- BEAMS Swapped.
    1997 Supra- TT 6 speed, bone stock.
    2006 4Runner- DD.

Images

I tried buying one the other day, I know a guy that has one, but I don't think is ever going to do anything with it.

He didn't answer me...

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Thanks for the info about the flywheel. I didn't realize the MZ unit would bolt up.

As for putting this in a STXX5, there's a guy, I believe it was at AT.net maybe here though, that was putting a VZ into an All Trac. He was using a Rav 4 transaxle if I remember correctly. It took some grinding of the transaxle or transfer case, I for get which. The GR is a bigger engine than the VZ but it would probably go into an STXX5. That would be pretty cool. Have the same or better power as the 3S and more torque.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Murg and Dan, eff you both. I'll get to it when I have both the time and money. In the meantime, I'll enjoy watching Noberto's progress here

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Thread Information