CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Fingers Crossed!
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

No CEL on the way home either so I'm pretty sure the code 54 issue is fixed.

I was only able to run the boost up once on the way home and I went above 10 PSI with out a problem but I missed exactly how far it went above before it felt like it hit the fuel cut. The 205 fuel cut is supposed to at 17 PSI give or take. I did have my boost controller set at 13 PSI previous but I messed with it a few weeks ago to try and dial the boost down while I was having the stuttering issue. I may have got the wrong way and actual hit the fuel cut.

Hopefully traffic will be lighter tomorrow and I can check it again and get a good look at the gauge to see where I'm getting. It could be too that the voltage divider is working exactly as planed and it is showing a higher voltage on the top that is causing the fuel cut. I'll have to experiment some more and see what is going on.

But for now, no code 54 which is good!
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

- Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

UPDATE

No code today either so I'm going to mark that one off.

I didn't get to try to run the boost up as much as I wanted to try and check that problem but I did run it up to 12-13 PSI. I was wanting to go further but I glanced at the speedo and I was over 100 on the interstate so I thought it prudent to back off and hit the brakes a little. LOL

But the good news on this topic is that at over 10 PSI there was no stutter like before so at the moment it looks like the 2nd gen MAP is working. I'm guessing that the issue I was having with boost was related to the 54 code. From what I've read, the 205 ECU goes into safe mode if that code comes up. It makes sense that if the ECU thinks the intercooler isn't working correctly that it would limit boost. I'm going to experiment some more to see where the stutter or fuel cut is coming in. If I'm going over 13 PSI I'm going to have to readjust my MBC to get it back to that point. 13 is enough for me and the engine is getting some miles on it and I don't need to blow it.

With the code 54 taken care of I have to say that the 3rd gen conversion is worth it. The car is running better, it starts faster and better cold. It runs good hot and it is smooth at cruise. After getting the that CEL code taken care of, the warm idle isn't doing what it was (dropping to about 1400 or so for a few seconds and then dropping to right at 1000) but it was staying at about 1300. I adjusted it down this even to 950 or so. It's running really good now.

So at this point, I would highly recommend the conversion. Like I had mentioned earlier it would probably be simpler with the MR2 ECU but if your get the freaking ECU connectors added in correctly where needed it works fine.

More updates later.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

I was able to do some more testing on the way home tonight and it looks like I am hitting the fuel cut at about 14 PSI or so. Since the 205 ECU is supposed to have fuel cut at about 17 I'm guessing my voltage divider is not working exactly right up toward the top end.

For now, I'll just get my MBC set at about 12-13 PSI and live with it. That works for me right now. Later on when I've got some extra money I'll get a 3rd or 4th gen MAP sensor and all will be well.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Yeah, the improved drivability you get with the map based control shouldn't be underestimated. I absolutely hated driving on Gen 2 electronics, which ultimately lead me to going standalone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

The WolfKatz fuel rail is working great Chris.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Awesome!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Update on the project.

I traded some of the parts I had to BlueDragon for a 3rd gen MAP sensor. It came today and I got it put on. First off, it fixed the fuel cut issue. I'm going to 14 psi right where the MBC is set. No problem at all. Second, right now it looks like it has helped with the cold idle issue I've been having. Prior to the change to the 3rd gen MAP, the car ran like crap when starting up cold. It coughed and sputtered pretty bad for a minute or two before it finally settled down. The car was cold when I started it after changing the sensor and it idled fine right from the start.

So, for anybody looking to do this conversion, it is possible to run it on the 2nd gen MAP with the voltage divider. It works OK. Using the resistor set up that I did, it looks like the voltages that the ECU sees are higher than they should be for the given pressure/vacuum. You could play around more with the resistors to see if you could get the ECU signal voltages more in line with the 3rd gen sensor. I'm see this now as a stop gap measure until you can get a 3rd gen MAP. It would also be a good back up in case the 3rd gen sensor goes out. The 2nd gen with the voltage divider would allow you to the car running until you could get a replacement.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Thread Information