CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

Default Toyota Matrix vs. Mazda 3s?

I need to get another car - something that makes more sense in my "new" situation.

I had the luxury in the past five years of a 6 mile commute to work, but now face a 60 mile commute everyday. I drive my old STX - which still "runs like a watch" and gets just over 30 MPG combined driving, yet the stress is taking it's toll.

Just since starting this new commute in March I've had minor failures with the cooling system (radiator fan switch in thermostat housing), brakes (both master cylinder and one flexible hose), and passenger axle (hit a big pothole).

Add to that - I have a leak in my power steering gear seal caused by the pothole hit that will need to be fixed as well.

So I need a new daily driver that is newer and more reliable. As I have two Basset hounds I also need some space - it is difficult for them to climb in the rear seat of my coupe, so what I am looking for is a hatchback with some room as this would also sit low to the ground for my digs to get in. One dog is 70 lb. and the other 65 lb.

I have narrowed my prospects to either a Mazda 3 hatch or a Toyota Matrix. In either case I would be getting one in the 2004-2007 model used.

The Mazda seems to have more space - and more zip, as it has a 2.3L as opposed to the Toyota Corolla based Matrix with a 1.8L. The Mazda also has more available options. Either way I want a 5-speed as opposed to an automatic as I believe the former would be more reliable in the long term.

I am just worried about Mazda reliability - I KNOW Toyota reliability, yet while the Mazda has great reviews it is an unknown for me.

I wondered if any here have any knowledge or experience with either of these cars.
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

Violence and Sin Keeps Me Fearless

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Is the Matrix not a 6 speed?

I have a friend who has four big dogs, Great Pyrenees, and he used his Matrix for years and was very satisfied with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda for President

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Lifetime Member hobbie2k is on a distinguished road hobbie2k's Avatar
    hobbie2k has donated to the forums!

Images

For those years, I would pick the Mazda. I think it's better looking inside and out, and by all accounts it is a better drive. Reliability should be comparable, and while it is different to a Toyota, it's not so different as to present a problem. My brother had a 2.3/manual one that ran great for him for 100k, till he traded it for a Toureg. I also had a Ford Fusion for a little while with the 2.3/manual and never had an issue with the drivetrain. On the other hand, my Aunt has a Pontiac Vibe (Matrix twin) that has also been bulletproof (and I think is better looking than the Matrix).

There is one issue with the Matrix (and other Toyotas from that era) that always bugged me, the instrument panel and centre stack use different color schemes that just look cheap to me.

Another thing to consider (though you probably don't need it in NC) is that the second gen Matrix had AWD as an option.
    Team 'learn about other cars and you may learn more about yours' member 002
    2015 Skoda Octavia Wagon
    1996 Nissan Pulsar SSS

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroy View Post
    Is the Matrix not a 6 speed?

I have a friend who has four big dogs, Great Pyrenees, and he used his Matrix for years and was very satisfied with it.
    That was the XRS with the 2ZZ-GE in it. Almost bought one of those when the black car died.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

I have friends in my local Toyota club with 2zz 6 speed matrixes (matrices?) that have run over 200k no problem. Their nice cars and mechanically very similar to my 7th gen but with room in the engine bay. My parents have had Mazda 3s for years, but they've never run up big miles, but they're also nice cars. Never had to work in one before. I don't think you'll go wrong whichever choice you make.

- sold
    Red 2001 GT-S "Hannah"

My sister had a XRS she bought new in 04. She put around 200K on it before she got a new car. She never had a bit of problem with it. She didn't the basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tires). Never had any major issues with it. I'd recommend it myself.
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86

my gf has a 04 matrix XR and she cariies our dog and her sisters dog to the beach every now and then, her sisters dogs are a pit bull and some kind of rottwroler (sp?) mix. both dogs weigh about 70 pounds each. Our dog is a 12 mut. leg room up front is really good but not so much in the backseats. engine bay is huge compared to the 1zz-fe that is it. The car is suprisely peppy at the bottom end, The gf also only runs 93 octane. Stock sound system is ass, lol. Door seals around the back pass. doors wear out very easy compared to the front seals and the back door is heavy as hell, we had to replace the shocks on the rear door shortly after she got the car and that almost 5 years ago. The car has around 230,000 miles on it and still runs like a top, all we do is basic mantince on it. There is a recall for the driverside window( a bolt gets loose over time and the window makes a popping sound when it goes down) and for the ECU. Sorry for the choppy answers i was thinking as i was typing
    R.I.P Cherry Bomb (1990 Celica ST)

They call me Hadoken because im DOWN RIGHT FIERCE

Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

That is what Jim had, the XRS, I drove it a time or two, pretty peppy.

The only problem he had as the In Dash Nav or whatever he had going out so he spent way too much to get an Alpine unit put it.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Images

My bad I am completely off, Jim had a Pontiac Vibe, not a Matrix.

Granted, it is the same thing.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the input everybody.

The inventory for any of these cars around here (Raleigh NC area) is pretty lean.

I went to a greasy type small car lot this AM to look at a 2003 XRS with the 6-speed. 135K and price around 5500. The addy looked great but checking it out in person I was sure these folks had some PhotoShop on the computer.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...3436/overview/

This car has a pretty used up interior as far as the plastics go - and the seats had stains too. All the interior plastics had paint worn on the edges - the driver side window switch assembly was just flopping around. The lower front plastics on the exterior showed scrapes for multiple bottoming out.

This is the first time I had physically looked at a Matrix up close, and my overall impression is that the interior plastics look really cheap and fragile. Still - it is about the only hatch that also has a rear window that can be opened separately from the door - which is a plus.

I am leaning towrds the Mazda 3 - but might need to settle for an automatic as the manuals are few and far between around here.

I'm also looking at Ford Focus SES - these have a 2.0L and 6-speed - but don't have a tach!?

Looking at that ad, I think they used scaled down cell phone photos from an older cell phone.

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I love my Mazda. Both the 626 we recently had, the cx7 we have now and the 3 her parents have.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Well,

Maybe I am going to end up getting a glorified mini-van.

I am going to look at this car tomorrow - it looks like a good deal to me. I might buy it.

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/ctd/4551420801.html

Images

I am a sucker for a wagon.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

na, if im buying anything even faintly resembling a wagon or suv it's gonna be a damn Jeep.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

My mom had an 03 Matrix XRS. Hers was a failmatic but it did pretty well in the upper RPM range. They put a ton of miles on it before they sold it to my sister, who still daily's it. It's given her significantly fewer problems than her old Maxima did. The way it's built, it actually corners pretty well too.

My wife has an 08 Mazda 3 which, beyond basic maintenance, has given her 0 problems as well. She bought it with 18,000 miles on it, and it's now up just over 110,000. Given those two choices, I'd say you're good to go either way.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

Only downside, they don't actually make a rear anti-sway/stabilizer bar for the Matrix anymore, you can find them used on eBay though. There apparently isn't one from the factory.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

^Doesn't need it if he's hauling dogs. Lol, "HANG ON, POOCHIE! WE'Z GOIN' SIDEWAYZ!! WOOOOOO! SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! !!!"

My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MCcelica View Post
    ^Doesn't need it if he's hauling dogs. Lol, "HANG ON, POOCHIE! WE'Z GOIN' SIDEWAYZ!! WOOOOOO! SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! !!!"
    I don't know about your dog, but my dog loves her some mad tite dorifto.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroy View Post
    I don't know about your dog, but my dog loves her some mad tite dorifto.
    <- haz FWD car.

Quote Originally Posted by MCcelica View Post
    <- haz FWD car.
    Lift off over steer, fewl.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by METDeath View Post
    Lift off over steer, fewl.
    ... I was implying that my car just goes through the corners...

I very rarely even understeer.

LIFT OFF over steer... completely different.

911 style lift off oversteer?
    Mike
    2017 Toyota 86

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Alltrac View Post
    911 style lift off oversteer?
    That is called a pirouette...

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Thank God for Rednecks!

Thread Information