CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "THE BLACK" ???

Default "THE BLACK" ???

I finely tore into "THE BLACKs" engine yesterday thinking that my only problem was going to be a cracked head! I was going with the idea of just replacing the head with a 3sge head for the added HP from the cams & a 3 angle valve job with a side feed intake. As soon as I got the valve cover off I spotted a piece of metal that made my heart sink. and when I got the head off the # 4 piston was not there, well not all there. the whole top of the piston was missing and a nice size hole in the cylinder wall. I just had put 3500 into this block and now am looking at what to do!! This is why I am posting about this on here, so I can get some good advice on what to do. I wanted to get a 5sfe short block and do the 5s swap, but lack the skills in doing that. I know there is a lot of info on here for that build, but do not know which way I should go with this car!? Just go with a JDM 3sgte or AM 3sgte or the 5s swap?
    The engine I have in the car now was built and only had about 200 miles on the build. There was never any sign of rod knock, that is what was puzzling!!! I didn't even boost it on account of the cracked head.
    Should I pull the engine and have it re sleeved and put in a new forged piston and have the crank re redone? Or just start over with a different engine?
    Let me hear from all who know. Jack

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

Post a pic of the damage.

A sleeve is fine as long as the damage isn't too severe.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

I will post one in the morning.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Wonder if the cracked head caused a severe lean condition and toasted it.

Pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

//s652.photobucket.com/user/bornagain1-2009/media/100_2547_zpsbd966bc6.jpg.html?filters[user]=90210155&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1s652//.photobucket.com/user/bornagain1-2009/media/100_2547_zpsbd966bc6.jpg.html?filters[user]=90210155&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1[/URL]
    Last edited by buffalohunter7321; 10-24-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of

Images

Not working for me. Try postimage.org
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

The link is misformatted (missing colons). To open the photo, click on the link and then edit the address by removing the http://www.http.com.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

My wife will try again tonight when she gets home, sorry.

Also, the title of this thread would make Joe go WHHHUUUUUAAAATT?
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

FTFY:

that motor is Done. Finis. junk. a boat anchor.

there is no "re-sleaving" option there. I would be surprised if the crank survived enough to be salvagable. Your cheapest option would be to buy a long block and swap your parts over.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Images

Ho Lee Fuk. That thing is done done. Not enough material left to support a sleeve.

The piston was your primary failure, not the rod, it cracked apart and took the engine with it. Was the head crack on this cylinder as well?

I doubt there's anything salvageable, I'd start looking for a whole 3S. I don't know what the smog laws are for ohio, but unless you're smog or octane limited, nothing wrong with jdm (ecu is geared towards higher octane and head lacks EGR)

Oh, that'll buff right out.....

.... BAZINGA!
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Wow. Yeah that is toast. Sorry to see that it self destructed before you really got to even enjoy it Jack.

JDM replacement is definitely the way to go here. Also, pretty much your only option.
    I would also advise that you just throw it in and not bother upgrading anything right off the bat.
    Do the water pump and associated bits and put a new valve cover gasket set in. That's about it.

My point is, going fast is fun, but worthless if you don't get to enjoy the car.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

GTsteezy is giving me a 2nd gen block with a crank.
    Brutekiller is going to check it out at is school and will do what ever is needed to the block and than I will order what ever is needed fore a complete overhaul kit from E-bay with stock pistons to build just a "maybe" stock dependable 3sgte and drop it in.

Have not had a chance to check the head yet to see where it was cracked!! As soon as I find the crack, I'll post up it's pic also.

Now looking for a 99 5s to build it. I can not do the build all at once but over the next year it will be ready and than I'll need to find a shell from the south to put it in.

My point was to just drop in a jdm motor and call it a day. Bone stock, reasonably reliable and you know exactly what to expect.

Anyhow, best of luck.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Im with Mario. Hell id even spring for a gen 3 and use the newer trans also.
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Yea I think your right Mario, any importers that you would recommend?

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Venus-auto.com best prices I've found.
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Wow. Jack, I'm sorry. That sucks.

This looks okay...
    Tokyo Motor Imports

Good Luck...
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Thanks Chris

Wow yeah, that sucks!

She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

Having trouble finding a 1st.gen JDM 3sgte engine. There was only two companies referred to try and find an engine and they do not have any. Is there any more out there that are trust worthy?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlife25 View Post
    My point was to just drop in a jdm motor and call it a day. Bone stock, reasonably reliable and you know exactly what to expect.

Anyhow, best of luck.
    If only there was SOMEONE with a gen1 laying somewhere they weren't planning to use....

Well there seems to be some out there I have about 4/5 members getting in touch with me, so might be able to pick one of them up. At least that is what I am praying fore.

MrWot you wouldn't happen to have one would you?

Thread Information