CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default help getting a whilteine rear swaybar in

So, i got my stock sway bar out easy enough. wheels off, endlinks off, and now I can't get the whiteline in. It seems like I need to do one or more of the following to make it work: remove the exhaust, lower the rear differential, remove one or both of the tie rods?(I'm not good with suspension parts, the ones towards the center of the car that run mostly north/south), or remove the strut and coil spring from at least one side. Am i just looking at this wrong?

I believe that I have an aftermarket exhaust, I can't find anywhere to disconnect it south of the exhaust header.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - sold
    Red 2001 GT-S "Hannah"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

wiggle wiggle twist wiggle wiggle. That seems to be the way. Try going in from the opposite side of the car. It's possible, sometimes not especially easy. Strut/spring assembly is probably easiest to move if something has to move.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I had to slightly drop the tank to put one on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4thgenceli View Post
    I had to slightly drop the tank to put one on.

Also true when installing the naturally-aspirated version.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

I disconnected the tank straps and placed the tank on a jack stand. Watch your old brake lines.

With your suspension hanging, you'll rub the bar on the struts. Might be a good idea to lift those up and compress the springs a little.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Alltrac or na Celica?
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

It's an alltrac. Thought I put that in, my bad

- sold
    Red 2001 GT-S "Hannah"

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

We're just stupid. Its in the alltrac section.

You will just need to play with it. Aside from completely removing everything it just takes patience and finesse to get it in. The na models dropping the tank slightly always helped.

Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Yeah it won't be the tank on the alltrac, just a lot of finesse. Worst case, start moving stuff out of the way. On both the 165 and the 205 I did it pretty painlessly though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

If you can't completely remove your exhaust, try unhooking the rear hangers to drop it a bit. The very last one by the muffler should be bolted to the car so you can unbolt it if getting the metal out of the hanger is a pain.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

stand at front of car. now from back right work from that side.

Guide

1) most important remember how you took the old one out and reverse.
    2) if you forget no1 then goto 3
    3) Hook arb over diff with bar end facing down
    4) push through as far as pos.
    5) from left side make sure arb is to the rear of drive shaft.
    6) from right side rotate anticlockwise and push hub down to get clearance whilst pushing all the way through.
    7) It should be in.

HTH.

Yeah, I got some help to work on it, but with the aftermarket 3" exhaust the PO put on it there's just no way. We got it *really* close, but we'd still have to have one of the arms off, and since I've got cut springs I'm just going to go coilover eventually, and since the only trip it's making any time in the near future is for emissions (~10 mile round trip) I'm not gonna waste any more time on it.

- sold
    Red 2001 GT-S "Hannah"

So, I said I wasn't going to waste anymore time on it, but... I'm trying again, and I can't remember if the bar is supposed to go over or under the exhaust.

- sold
    Red 2001 GT-S "Hannah"

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

over.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Cool, that's what I thought, but my helper was insistent it must go under.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

- sold
    Red 2001 GT-S "Hannah"

Thread Information