CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default So, here's the new ride.

Picked-up it up tonight. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I had test driven on automatic 86 back in March and found it to be pretty good. I ordered a manual. An awesome 5 additional horsepower. Stiffer body structure than prior years though.

A few observations from my first 30 or so miles.
    1. The clutch with the damn helper spring is WAAAAY to light. Nothing like I'm used to. That spring is coming out as soon as I have a free moment. I've read that is supposed to help a lot. Some of you older folks will know what I mean when I say it is the equivalent of the '70 Chrysler power steering.
    2. I don't think it's underpowered like a lot of people bitch about. During break in, you're not supposed to go about 4K and it makes peak power well above that. I'm pleased with what I'm seeing so far.
    3. Six gear is a little notchy right now. I'm hoping that smooth's out as it breaks in. The transmission shifts great thought and the gear spacing is really close. The ratios seem to be good so far too.
    4. Handling is great. I am not disappointed.

So far, I like it. It's not an All Trac but this is a new chapter.

Last edited by Nitro_Alltrac; 09-19-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I think of old Chevy Power Steering, the whole one finger thing. Thankfully the Mustang has adjustable electric power steering.

I still think the Fiesta ST is the most fun car I have driven recently.

I read an article this afternoon that said Toyota might be coming out with a new FWD entry sporty vehicle called the Celica for the 2020 MY. I almost cried.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroy View Post
    I read an article this afternoon that said Toyota might be coming out with a new FWD entry sporty vehicle called the Celica for the 2020 MY. I almost cried.
    I've seen several different things on this the past couple of days. The only firm thing that I've seen is that Toyota retrademarked the Celica name. They did this with the Supra name a couple of years ago, not too long before the Toyota/BMW car showed up in camouflage. I just hope they don't stick it on the production version of that goof SFR they showed a year or two ago. That reeks of that weird Japanese home market design you saw a lot of in the early '90s. Not a big fan of that. Would love to the see the name come back on a fitting car though.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

I'd love to see a 1g throwback in terms of styling.

I've also heard that the new Supra will possibly be released under the Celica Supra namesake... I just hope that they load a decent Toyota powerplant into it.

EDIT:

Congrats on the new ride Mike!
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Thanks Chris. Everything I'm hearing on the inside is saying a BMW powerplant. Probably some version of the twin turbo six they're using in the 3/4 series cars. This unfortunately would make sense given the codevelopment with the Z5 or what ever BMW is calling there version.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Nice car! They're on my list of things to test out if my GTFour ever sells, but that's not very likely.

As for the new Supra, if it comes with a BMW engine I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. One of my favourite things about Toyota is their reliability and low maintenance costs, things that BMW isn't exactly known for. Hopefully they renew the Alltrac/GTFour names as well to go with Celica.
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

I tend to believe the BMW engine story unfortunately. Toyota doesn't have an inline six now that I'm aware of and the extra engineering cost to make chassis fit the in line & a V6 was probably more than either company wanted to spend on a nice vehicle. I'm with you though, not crazy about the Beemer engine. Maintenance costs with be high as well I expect.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Alltrac View Post
    Picked-up it up tonight. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I had test driven on automatic 86 back in March and found it to be pretty good. I ordered a manual. An awesome 5 additional horsepower. Stiffer body structure than prior years though.

A few observations from my first 30 or so miles.
    1. The clutch with the damn helper spring is WAAAAY to light. Nothing like I'm used to. That spring is coming out as soon as I have a free moment. I've read that is supposed to help a lot. Some of you older folks will know what I mean when I say it is the equivalent of the '70 Chrysler power steering.
    2. I don't think it's underpowered like a lot of people bitch about. During break in, you're not supposed to go about 4K and it makes peak power well above that. I'm pleased with what I'm seeing so far.
    3. Six gear is a little notchy right now. I'm hoping that smooth's out as it breaks in. The transmission shifts great thought and the gear spacing is really close. The ratios seem to be good so far too.
    4. Handling is great. I am not disappointed.

So far, I like it. It's not an All Trac but this is a new chapter.

Looking good! 3s-gte swap?

1991 all-trac w/ gen3 swap, 14 avalon, 08 sequoia 5.7L , 1969 mustang build in progress and a 87 toyota longbed 5 spd

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Nice and congrats! Should be totally fun.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

So far I'm loving it. I'm going to try to get a chance to pull the helper spring off of the clutch pedal this weekend. The clutch is fine but with that spring in place the feeling is very vague.

Other than that, the car is great. The handling is outstanding. I'm looking forward to getting through the breakin period so I can start going above 4000.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

If they were smart they'd build a 2GR-GSE. Or even a turbo motor.
    1993 GT-S

The turbo would be ideal. The 2GR would throw the balance way off.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

...YES!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Oh, don't think I haven't been looking into SC options. The FA20 responds well to them.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Doesn't like the tuna here. BabyBear is a splendid one to behold BabyBear is a splendid one to behold BabyBear is a splendid one to behold BabyBear is a splendid one to behold BabyBear is a splendid one to behold BabyBear is a splendid one to behold BabyBear's Avatar
    BabyBear has been to an annual Dragon Meet! BabyBear has donated to the forums! BabyBear helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. BabyBear helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

If you're gonna go SC, get either the Jackson Racing kit, or the Edlebrock kit. I ran the Jackson Racing kit on mine when I had it and quite liked it, though I'd probably have gone with the Edlebrock kit if I were to do it again. I don't like the Innovate one, and the Vortech one was also pretty disappointing when I rode in one that had it.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Mine still makes me jump when it clicks on if I'm not expecting it. (But then again, I'm a little girl).

Congrats on the new car, she's a beauty. Having said that.....

If I were you I wouldn't waste time going with a sc. Just go with full blown motorsports turbo kit. Having rode in both I would recommend the turbo any day. Which is what I plan to put on my brz soon. Sc will top out around 270 whp on pump gas and 450 ish on e85. Turbo will be about 300 whp on 10psi and sky's the limit with that. My buddies car is making 570whp and it feels like a rocket. Plus you get all the good sounds (turbo spool, wastegate, and bov.)

Congratulations Mike! She's a looker.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBear View Post
    If you're gonna go SC, get either the Jackson Racing kit, or the Edlebrock kit. I ran the Jackson Racing kit on mine when I had it and quite liked it, though I'd probably have gone with the Edlebrock kit if I were to do it again. I don't like the Innovate one, and the Vortech one was also pretty disappointing when I rode in one that had it.
    And then you bought a Big Boy car. With a flat plane V8. I still wet myself thinking about it.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlife25 View Post
    Congratulations Mike! She's a looker.
    Thanks Mario.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Thread Information