CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Contemplating selling my alltrac...

Hey guys,

It's been a long run with this car and a hell of a battle that I have decided to finally put to rest. Shes an 88 St165. Brand new SPEC stage 3 full face clutch. ST185 motor that has been nuilt to withstand 500awhp. Rrefinished crankshaft with matching ACL high rpm bearings on rod and main. Stock rods. Forged pistons with new rings and the cylinder honed and has an ST205 head. Head was ported and polished before installing. Mated to an HKS metal head gasket. Brand new GT35R turbo, 38mm TiAL wastegate, 3 inch downpipe and mid pipe connected to stock exhaust. Rare TRD suspension with ground control coilovers. Full set of 17" wheels with 90%new tires. 215/40/17. Interior has no backseats, just 2 front original cloth seats with a full roll cage (modified for daily driver). A brand new TT supra fuel pump. MSD ignition as well. The car has a clean title and is current on registration.

Originally I bought the chassis with 120k miles on it and no motor. I put a regular st165 motor in, and drove it for 2 months. The motor blew, then I decided its time for a build. Which is when I partook in all of the mods listed above. The first motor blew March of 2011. Since then, the car has not moved after the new engine, but once.

So It has sat for the past 2years while slowly being worked on. May of 2012, it was driven slightly once around the block. But the electrical on the engine wiring harness was terrible (or so we assumed). So I took the car to a fellow forum members new shop. Team Vendetta Motorsports. The owner, some may know. V8Killer. Well this guy has been full of knowledge for years and I have known him for a while, so i trusted him to work on my car.

I paid 1300 upfront for a brand new EMS and wiring harness and would pay the labor after it was done. The car sat for 5 months (while I finished school and worked). I was in no rush since I have a regular daily driver. I started pushing on him to finish it and he said it was going good. Even asked for the 600 dollars in labor in advance to pay shop rent. I had no problem doing so since the money was already saved up and figured it'd encourage him to finish it. 2 months went by and we maintained contact, as faras I knew, everything was going good. A month went by and then I got a notice from a tow yard saying if I don't pick up my car within 30 days they will put a lien sale on it. I immediately drove there and had to pay 600 dollars to get it out. It had been there for a week already and Marco (v8killer) had not informed me. He will not pay me back, and the car is in worse condition than when I gave it to him. Now I have NO engine harness and I am missing my blow off valve.

Concluding - I have had the car for a few months now and am filing small claims shortly. Although, he is a very shady person with no money and I doubt I will even get any money, even if I do, it will not be in any time soon. The car is sitting in my dads driveway, and i am about to start another semester of college soon. I have no time nor the patience anymore to finish this car...What i would like to do is get multiple opinions on what the car is worth.

What it needs - new engine harness and some good TLC and patience. It breaks my heart to see all my work go nowhere, then ontop of it be screwed out of 2500 dollars that I had spent a lot of time saving for the EMS set up. I can no longer afford it. I have run out of time and patience. I have included pictures to go along with the mental picture of the car. Also, it has a clean title and straight body.

Photos can be found here at this dropbox link.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1uybaylv4sbsxc3/2hC6J64hYL

I will gladly answer any questions people have and if they do buy it, I will gladly help with any questions they have regarding what has been done. I am located just north of San Francisco, California.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Eric
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member jaydog82 is on a distinguished road

How about I help you fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    ST165

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of
    MrWOT has donated to the forums! MrWOT helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Images

What kind of EMS is it?

Give a list of everything you think it needs.
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

CTech to the rescue. List needs, we have your back.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Do you not have any time to work on it with people? If I was closer, I would help.

Problem is, with an unknown working motor and nothing to test with, you wont get much out of it. Looks to be in decent shape, but its a limited crowd of people who would be interested since it seems to be prepped to race. Seems most people like to get thier alltrac semi stock so they can make it thier own.

I would say, if you still have the EMS, get a new harness to modify and put her together. I know working on cars during school is a ppain, but when it's not your DD, you can do it at leasure.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Must I drive up from SoCal?

He does not have the ems, we are going to build a stock replacement harness and get it running

Sent from my Nexus 4
    ST165

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of MrWOT has much to be proud of

Images

So you're going to use an oem ECU to get it running?

What else does it need, or is that it?
    I really like the way aaawelder put it: "do not include yourself in this circuit"

It needs a new harness, we hope the ecu and related sensors are OK. The original Barnes got hacked up by the po. Hopefully if we build a new harness that will get her running.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    ST165

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response. Basically, I have a fully functional engine that ran before all this nonsense, but didn't run efficiently due to the old harness being beat up and internally corroded. It would cut in and out and throw a lot of codes that were already fixed. What I did was I went to the junkyard, and pulled a complete harness out of a 90 camry with a 3S-FE. I plan to use the harness, and basically re pin in to work with my stock 165 ecu. I have a very old and beaten up 165 harness, that is beyond repairs. I cut the plugs off of it, leaving a good amount of wire to work with. I took the plug connecter from the 3sfe's ecu, and detached the circuit board from it so I have something to plug the 3sfe harness into, and I am making a jumper, with each pin exposed I am currently working on rearranging my 165 plugs. This plug is E01 on this harness, so it goes here on this harness.
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache

A picture is worth a thousand words so here is what I am shooting for. This is an st185 ecu. As you can see, it has the ecu plug, from a 165 harness. When I had my old 165 harness that was in good condition, I had it plugged into this. The jumper (the 6 inches of wire or so) rerouted the neccesary pins to their new locations on the 185 ecu. I am trying to recreate this, except from a 90 3sfe to a 88 3sgte ecu.

Last edited by ericfragola; 08-07-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: fixed photo

Here is a close up of what I am currently working with. The red connectors are small speaker connectors. I was having the hardest time wiring each wire to each pin. This makes it a lot easier, especially if I misplace a wire into the wrong pin. Once everything is said and done and put into the correct spot, they will be soldered in place.

Last edited by ericfragola; 08-07-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: fixed photo

Here is my comparison on pin outs. Amongst doing my comparing, I noticed that the 3S-GTE has 20 more pins than the 3S-FE

Last edited by ericfragola; 08-07-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: fixed picture

Basically, I am attempting to remake a 165 harness using a 90 3S-FE harness. And only modding the connectors into the ecu. I just want the car running back to normal.

Images

i see nothing

photos should be fixed now. i originally used the link from my dropbox, which is private. thats probably why. used photo bucket now.

went to put in the 3sfe harness today...its nothing like the st165.....*sigh*

anyone have a 165 harness? I have my old one, i cut the plugs off but thats not a huge deal. wonder if its worth repairing. ive taken a few things off of it before. hmm. its just a huge bundle of wires. what a mess

lets say i fix this car, get it running nicely. clean it up of all the spider webs and what not. what would you guys pay for it? considering the mod list, miles on the chassis, rebuilt motor and brand new turbo etc. Also, if i get it running it will have fresh paint.
    Trying to weigh the costs of parting it out versus having it running. obviously a running car is worth more, but the time, money, effort to get there may be more than what id get back from it running.

Thoughts?

Images

Use a 2nd gen 3s harness from an mr2? and yes, the time and money WILL be more than you'd get back. But that's the nature of a car like this, you never get out what you put in.

Hey MrWOT, I see you're in Sac. Im about 45 mins away. Would you happen to know anyone in the area with a 165 or 185 harness?

I'll try to find a 2nd gen harness from an mr2. Does it have to be turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by MrWOT View Post
    and yes, the time and money WILL be more than you'd get back. But that's the nature of a car like this, you never get out what you put in.
    well i guess I might just have to part it out...

Images

I don't, sorry.

Yes, if it's non-turbo it's a 5S not a 3S. Don't know how close it will be, but my best guess for finding something close.

I sold my spare ST165 harnesses a while back, sorry man. You may want to put up a WTB thread over on MR2OC (you will need to sign up first) and see about sourcing a turbo MR2 harness that way.
    WOT and I are both relatively close by so if you decide to work on it instead of parting it out, I am sure we can figure something out.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Thread Information